Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-02-20, 12:51 AM

Just ordered a Belkin pf60 from eCost and the price is real good, they actually charge in CAn $ and are a Canada Post Borderfree associate, so the final price is it, no surprises. Don't have it yet but it's at least half-price compared to getting it in Canada. And a really nice looking unit too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-02, 06:20 PM

Update on my new Belkin PF60. Above being what seems like a well built unit and a gorgeous piece of equipement, I seem to notice improved PQ, mostly with my SA 8300HD. Then again it might be the placebo effect and wishful thinking, but I still feel better knowing my gear is better protected.
post #48 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-05, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the update maddog40. I may just move my Tripp Lite to the home network and go for a PF 60 for the HT.

post #49 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-27, 03:45 PM

I just ordered one from eCost as well. I was going to get the PF40 at 75% off list price but then noticed the PF60 and thought what the heck. I'm getting it shipped to a US address so freight was pretty cheap compared to sending it to Canada.
post #50 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 11:59 PM

power bars

I read alot of post's on here and I had to write something to you all.I sell monster power supplies along with other electronic stuff.We have a AC power line sniffer at work and if any of you saw how dirty our power is you would run out to buy a power bar with "clean power".It's very sad that we spend thousand's of dollar's on our equipment but we cheap out when it comes to cables or anything that might protect our stuff.I will say first hand that yes there is money to be made on monster stuff and some salesmen push it way too much,but I assure you that it is definately worth every penny you pay for it. A power bar without "clean power" will allow your expensive equipment to take all the negative dirty power into it and who know's what it will do to the performance and lifespan to it??...Iam a huge fan of monster power,ask next time to see a AC power noise demo after you hear what kind of crap that goes through it you will change your mind on this subject
post #51 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 12:30 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by number one View Post
I sell monster power supplies...but I assure you that it is definately [sic] worth every penny you pay for it...
Sorry, you're automatically disqualified from providing an opinion on Mon$ter products. You bring up points regarding protecting expensive equipment, however, that can be done with products just as good as Mon$ter, but typically costing significantly less.

Quote:
...ask next time to see a [sic] AC power noise demo...
We have already seen/heard the Mon$ter demos:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...472#post358472

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #52 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 12:57 AM

clena power

I geuss you only read what you wanted on my response.I said that you get what you pay for and its worth every penny.If you can get something simular to "clean power" to clean up crappy noise found in AC power for alot less....GO FOR IT...I was saying that we should protect our stuff..Geuss I shouldnt have said I sell it cause now you want to attack my knowledge
post #53 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 01:02 AM

Cheaper clean power

Ok I sell monster power I like it alot ,but if there is something that compare's to "clean power" please tell me I want to buy it.........see Iam not one -sided..I want something reasonable priced too....can you tell me what may compare??......and btw I dont work for a company like best buy or future shop where they dont know what they are talking about......LOL....
post #54 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 01:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I read your entire post. In it, along with other things, you were saying that Mon$ter is worth every penny and that I should see their demos. I have seen their demos and I disagree with your analysis of Mon$ter products based on my experience, and the Charlatans that they are. My post was not an attack, it was simply a statement of fact - I'm sorry you took it as an attack. Regarding alternatives, many have already been provided earlier in this thread and in this forum.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #55 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 02:02 AM

monster too expensive??

Ok,why dont you back the fact up with telling me a product that has something close to "clean power" that is cheaper.......I want to know of a product....and I hope it isnt belkin cause they are junk

I have not seen anything here that says anything about a product that clean's up AC power noise.........am I blind???

I read you guys talking about the belkin pf60 and wonder why some people say that monster is over priced.Compared to some monster stuff this belkin pf60 is alot more money...and the track record on belkin at our store isnt good.Are you all just monster hater's??...I geuss to each their own..
post #56 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 09:53 AM
Member #1

Panamax fan here!

post #57 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-29, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number one View Post
Ok,why dont you back the fact up with telling me a product that has something close to "clean power" that is cheaper.......I want to know of a product....and I hope it isnt belkin cause they are junk

I have not seen anything here that says anything about a product that clean's up AC power noise.........am I blind???

I read you guys talking about the belkin pf60 and wonder why some people say that monster is over priced.Compared to some monster stuff this belkin pf60 is alot more money...and the track record on belkin at our store isnt good.Are you all just monster hater's??...I geuss to each their own..
Well the Belkin line of PureAv does "clean" AC power noise, you might have to read up on it before you call it junk, and if you are so in need of proof just google it, you' ll see for ourself. Not saying Monster is bad, just way overpriced, most real audiophile shops around here don't sell Monster, so I guess they don't know either.

Here read on
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...iew.php?rev=76
http://www.laaudiofile.com/belkinpf60.html
http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV.pro...tion_Id=202493

Last edited by maddog40; 2007-03-29 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added links
post #58 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 12:34 AM

power bars

Well I called it junk cause some pure a/v belkin breaks and had some problems with them..and if you look belkin is a little more money then alot of monster stuff...so who is over priced??...thanks for the info though.Maybe i will do the A/C power line test on the belkin.......lol.....cheers
post #59 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 02:14 AM

Here's my story.
A couple PC builds (and a few years) ago I was running an Athlon XP 1300+ on a Soyo Dragon Plus mobo and a lot of other nice bits and pieces.
HOWEVER,
It was running a cheapo "350W" power supply and a regular power bar.
I had planned to replace the cheapo with a nice PC Power & Cooling model in a few months, was still broke from the PC upgrade.

Then one day we had a nice bit o' weather where a bolt of lightning hit a hydro pole a couple blocks away.
Sent a nice bit of a spike that blew out 3 light bulbs, screwed up an old TV, and smoked the PC.
Not only did it cook the cheapo (I love the smell of burning electronics), it took the mobo, cpu, ram and video card with it.

Suffice to say, I believe in overkill now.

My current HTPC rig includes the PC, my VS 32" LCD, Dreamcast and PS2.

My power system is built in layers.

Stage 1
First the APC Performance SurgeArrest (PF11VT3)
This provides my first tier of surge supression as well as signifigant noise dampning.
All my Peripherals are plugged (router, speakers, etc) in here as well as the two game systems, my cable (coax) line and my Stage 2 protection. I don't have a landline phone and my internet comes in though th cable so EVERYTHING is isolated.

Stage 2
A Pair of APC Back-UPS Pro 280's
These provide a second tier of surge supression as well as vastly superior noise filtering. They also add power back up, although they only run my pc for about 4 mins and my screen for about 10 mins.
I have my PC hoocked up to one and the screen hooked into the other.
It's nice to know that NOTHING can penetrate this layer short of a direct lightning strike to my living room.

But as added insurace,
Stage 3
PC Power & Cooling ATX 300
This adds a third tier of Surge Protection, protecting my PC.
The PC P&C is essential for the PC to have reliable clean power, and also adds a third layer of surge supression and noise reduction.

APC has always been my brand of choice. The two UPS' have served me well since I bought them (a few weeks after the lightning strike), and I've had no problems since.
When I got the 32" LCD, I added the Surge Arrest, which replaced a cheaper Belkin standard power bar with coax protection (which now safeguards my daughters DVD player and TV).
Although I never had a problem with the Belkin, I had always wanted a little more protection.

As for Monster...
It's not a bad brand. I have a pair of Monster S/PDIF cables (one coax/rca and one Toslink/Optical). I purchased them years ago before I knew better. They're excellent cables although they are overpriced. I have to admit, the THX certified logo is what got me.
I'm actually buying a Monster PS2 Component cable to replace my current S-Video Cable for the simple reason that it's cheaper than genuine Sony

AR
If you want even better quality, go with AR (Acoustic Research) I have several cables from them, and they're hands down the best made cables I own. And they're priced in the same range as Monster!

Now, for RocketFish...
Suprising high quality actually!
I'd put them at LEAST as good as Monster, if not better.
I have a set of components, a longer S-Video, and a nice DVI-D to HDMI.
Again, overpriced in stores, BUT I have a secret.
If you live in the GTA there are GREAT deals to be had on eBay. I've paid well under $10 per cable.

I still prefer the AR cables overall, but the RocketFish are decent enough and cheap!

Last edited by smnc; 2007-04-02 at 02:28 AM.
post #60 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-14, 10:09 AM

what is the minimum joule rating recommended for protection

as joule rate increases with price

ty

Tags
power protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in