Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-18, 05:22 PM

One word of warning on the tripp lite that I have.
The blue led screen is a little bright. With the lights out you have no problem at all seeing it. Since I like to have all my toys in front of me so I can see them I plan on making a little 3" x 3" screen to hide the light during movie playing.

Mike

HP MD5880n,Yamaha RXV1600,Polk rtia-3, SA3250,XBOX 360,Tripplite UPS/Conditioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 06:10 AM

Thanks Kingpin111!! Good point about the LCD. I'll have to wait and see on the price of the unit. The PF 30 on e-bay is still in the running and RNAChemist seems to really like his.

Cheers,

RH
post #33 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 12:52 PM

Bear in mind as well that Tripp-Lite makes only power products that have been proven to work and are reasonably priced.
They work.

post #34 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 02:33 PM

Just thought of another question and I couldn't find the answer on-line. Would the Tripp Lite unit "clean" the power like some of the HT bars claim they do? Would this be provided by the voltage regulation built in?

Kingpin111, have you run your coax through yours?

Cheers,

RH
post #35 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Three reasons:
1. High markup
2. High markup
3. High markup

Margins are low on electronics so they push high markup products like cables and power bars.
You want to see *REALLY* high markup? No URLs as per policy, but I was checking the Futureshop website. They had a 42" Insignia LCD for $1499.

Recommended accessories for "Insignia 42" LCD HDTV** (NS42LCD)"...
Sanus TV stand $599 OUCH
Logitech Harmony 880 remote $299 OUCH
Monster Cables $104 OUCH

For a $1500 TV, they're "recommending" $1000 worth of accessories. It's only a matter of time before you'll see a situation where the accessories cost more than the TV, especially, when you throw in an "extended warranty".
post #36 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 02:16 AM

There is no coaxial connections on mine.
Don;t care for them much. Anything I have ever had my cable going through always made tings worse or had no difference.
It was of no importance to me as I just wanted something for my tv.
I like to keep as little connections on the coaxial as possible.

Mike

HP MD5880n,Yamaha RXV1600,Polk rtia-3, SA3250,XBOX 360,Tripplite UPS/Conditioner
post #37 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 06:50 AM

Picked up the Smart LCD 1000 yesterday and will hook it up today....including the coax just to see how it works. I also wanted the phone line protection for when I go back to StarChoice in the summer.

The place I got it is a smaller computer sales and repair retailer and he stocks the 1000 all the time. He says it is a very good seller for home theatre applications.

I'll provide feedback on how it all goes in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

RH
post #38 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 11:51 AM

Yeah it's funny how they push Monster Cables and other accessories and they always end their push by saying.. oh and there's a lifetime now proof of purchase warranty on them... Yeah ok.. but what good is a lifetime warranty on a product that I pay 5, 10 or make that 20 times it's real value? And like it was mentionned before, monoprice has great cables for a fraction of the price and guess what.. they also carry a lifetime warranty... and they work great
post #39 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-27, 01:18 AM

I'm also looking at the tripplite 1000 lcd. I see there's also a 900 that's quite a bit cheaper. Any idea why it's so much cheaper?

Also, I'm kinda concerned about the surge suppression (400 joules) seems really low, I've read threads that say you shouldn't plug it into another surge protector, so what's the solution.

One last thing, can the lcd be turned off?

Last edited by hedge; 2007-01-27 at 01:43 AM.
post #40 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-27, 10:26 AM

You know, I actually didn't pay too much attention to the surge rating. The IT guys use this at work to protect servers and workstations. We have all sorts of power bumps and brownouts as local power gives out and the building's APU kicks in. No complaints from the IT guys and they say the units work great. We're protecting a lot of very expensive stuff with them too. The connected equipment warranty is $200K including direct lightning strikes. Maybe the Joule rating varies between manufacturers...kind of like power ratings of amps and AVR's. Maybe the fact it's a battery backup and provides voltage regulation has something to do with it. If anybody else has any insight, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

Cheers,

RH

This thread is interesting reading. The last post in it makes a lot of sense. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...t=Joule+Rating

Last edited by Roadhouse; 2007-01-27 at 10:33 AM.
post #41 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-28, 01:39 AM
Veteran

Hey Roadhouse, how the Tripp Lite unit working out for you? Notice any differences to your AV outputs? Just Curious.
post #42 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-01-28, 08:09 AM

RNAChemist...well, I think things are a little clearer on SD channels. I do notice that my power actually does fluctuate in voltage a fair bit. I've seen as low as 98 and as high as 122! Newer neighbourhood and I was kind of surprised at that.
post #43 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Just an update from my original experience with overpriced power bars/surge protectors: I ended up finding some good info on this web site and wound up getting a 2 for 1 deal on an Ultra 10 Outlet Surge Protector with a 2520 Joule rating for 25.99 at Canadian online store. I gave the other one to my dad. This was way cheaper than anything I could have purchased in a regular store with comparable ones costing well over 100 dollars and up. There are lots of good replies in this thread. I hope more noobs manage to read and get well informed before they buy like I did.
post #44 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 06:09 PM

Well, we've had some wicked weather and winds out on the rock the past week or two. Early one morning Mrs. Roadhouse got me up because the lights were dimming as the house shook and creaked. She had the TV, STB and AVR turned on and everything was working great. The computer system got a little shagged up with the modem and router, most likely due to the brownouts we were experiencing. I checked the Tripp Lite unit several times and the voltage was all over the place. The battery level indicator was also down to about 60%...which to me means the unit was doing what it was supposed to be doing. Once things settled down weather wise, the Tripp Lite battery charged back up and everything's been OK since.

I think there's another one on the way for the computer.

Hope this gives good indication of what this type of unit can do.

Cheers,

RH
post #45 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 10:32 PM

If you're looking for highend power conditioning (ie: over engineered), check out brickwall:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57649

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-16 at 02:03 PM.

Tags
power protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in