Two Set Top Boxes in the Same Room - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Two Set Top Boxes in the Same Room

Hi all,

A pretty crazy question. I have 2 tvs in my basement (a big screen and a smaller one - good for watching 2 games during football season). The problem I have is that both my HD and regular digital box seem to pick up signals from my converter so if I change the channel on 1 tv the other does the same. Is there anyway to solve this, where one converter will control only one box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 10:36 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There are several solutions, although they may not do what you want.

You can have one STB off and one on, when you want to control the "off" STB, turn it on and the other will turn off - you only need one remote to control both. This doesn't work if you want both on at the same time, as the STBs use the same IR frequency. (Also may not work with Motorola or other STBs for those reading this from other service providers)

You could cover the IR sensor on one STB then uncover it when needed.

You may be able to put an "interference cover" on the STBs, far enough apart so that the remote has to be pointed directly at it for it to work.

You can get a programmable remote that uses RF, which would send the signals to the desired STB, as indicated in the post below: Some providers have RF remotes for use with certain STBs, so you could utilize the paired RF on one (if applicable) and IR on the other.

You can get an "IR extender" kit or "IR Repeater" kit and use the emitters to cover the IR "eye" on the STBs. These kits are typically available for around $25 or less on the web.

Here's the "IR Blocker" that I created for my SA8300HD. I used a piece of sheet metal I had and covered the front of the "Blocker" with an appropriately cropped picture of the SA8300HD. If I need to block the signal to the 9865, I can temporarily move it down, but usually I just turn one box off and the other on for the few times I need to access the 8300HD.

Sometimes there are apps that you can use on your phone to control a STB. This may allow for separate control.

Sometimes you may be able to use HDMI-CEC functionality to control the STB "through" the TV.

Edit: For programming the guide you can use the app or web interface to access the guide, etc for a particular PVR - only works with PVRs.

Web/App Scheduling (Anyplace Home Edition) Please read post 1. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Last edited by 57; 2014-04-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Anyplace reference added.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 01:47 PM

Cool

An expensive, but fully functional solution would be to get a remote such as the MX-850 from Universal Remote (http://universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38) which, in addition to being an incredible universal IR learning remote, also has the ability to relay remote control codes to a transponder over RF.

By placing an IR emitter from the transponder directly over the IR receivers of your equipment you can ensure that the codes for the two devices never get confused.

You can read more about the capabilities at the link above.

Denon 3808CI, Samsung 50" Plasma, Apple TV(s), SoundBridge M1001, FibreOp via Asus N56U

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrockboy View Post
Hi all,

A pretty crazy question. I have 2 tvs in my basement (a big screen and a smaller one - good for watching 2 games during football season). The problem I have is that both my HD and regular digital box seem to pick up signals from my converter so if I change the channel on 1 tv the other does the same. Is there anyway to solve this, where one converter will control only one box?
The best solution would be to run the SD tv off one of the SD outputs on the HD box. What i have done for my projector is component to my projector and then svideo/rca audio to my tv. Then i turn on one at a time either the tv or the projector.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 03:25 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
That would only allow you to watch one channel, which I don't think the OP wants.

If you have the SA8300HD, you could perhaps do what Juggie suggests - I believe controlling the PiP controls one output and the main channel controls the other output. I have not done this myself in a long time. Audio MAY be restricted to one TV, however, the VCR output of the SA8300 MAY supply the second audio...

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-09-21, 09:26 PM
Veteran

just get 2 brands of set top boxes.. ie: PACE and Scientific Atlantic... thatwill solve ur problem
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
just get 2 brands of set top boxes.. ie: PACE and Scientific Atlantic... thatwill solve ur problem
Sorry to bring up an old thread but just reading this now and it is relevant to my needs. Don't the Pace and the Scientific Atlanta STBs use the same remote controls and thus the same IR controls, or are they actually seperate?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 02:11 AM

I do believe that the Pace and SA STBs use the same IR frequencies, so the info in post 6 is probably incorrect. Posts 2 & 3 have the "solutions".

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Another expensive solution, similar to post 3 above, is to use the Harmony 890 Pro remote with its addressable IR ports on its Wireless Extender. It allows a single IR port on an extender to control a device independently from the other ports. This also allows multiple identical devices to be controlled independently from just one RF Extender. Note: I don't know if the regular Harmony 890 (non-Pro) has this feature. The feature is documented in the 890 Pro user manual, but not in the regular 890 manual.

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 07:41 PM

The 890 (non-Pro) will allow you to 'Assign IR Port on Wireless Extender'.

Last edited by 57; 2008-12-30 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-12-31, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Move the two STBs as far apart as you can in the room (ie. towards different sides of the room). Put two peices of tape over the front of the remote so that you cover most of it, leaving a vertical slit on the front. Let's say that the remote control normally sprays its IR signal over a 30 degree range. Depending on how much of a slit you leave open, using the tape can lower the spread to say 5 or 10 degrees. You will have to be more deliberate in pointing the remote at the box you wish to control. I do this all the time.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 06:20 PM
Veteran

My poor mans solution to having 2 STBs in the same room and remote control conflicts

I finally did it!

I took the plunge the other day and picked up a S.A. 3100 STB that someone selling on Craigslist for only $20. My goal was to add the STB in my TV Viewing Room which currently has 5 Televisions in it (yes, overkill I know). There is already a S.A. 4250 unit in the room and I wanted to avoid having conflicts of when I am changing the channels on one unit, the other unit would change channels as well. At the same time, I wanted to use a remote and not the front panel buttons.

So I stopped into the electronic store (A-Z Electronics, 1750 Steeles Avenue West (Dufferin/Steeles area)) and picked up a Phillips SRU4000/17 Wireless A/V system. Included as part of it is IR Blasters and an RF remote control. After hooking up the Video sender (sans the video since I only care about the remote control part, but I can always add video later) and IR blaster onto the IR part of the 3100 and taking a good strip of tin foil that is ontop of the IR blasters (so it is wedged now between the STB and the tin foil), going across the entire front display panel, I pointed the remote to the floor and it changed channels on the 3100 without doing so on the 4250! I then took a bit of tin foil and put it over the IR part of the remote control that was included, taped it down and pointed straight at the 4250, but only the 3100 would change channels! Horray! Now I took the stock remote Rogers gives and pointed it straight at the 3100, and the channels won't change! Back to the 4250 and no problem.

I can now simultainously control the two units which are side by side on two different TVs without interfernece. For $50 for the remote and $20 for the terminal I am pretty happy considering the alternative solutions out there - especially the Harmonys - were all in the $250 range. The remote is pretty good as well. It supports the guide and settings functions. I have yet to try ROD with the remote, but outside of proof-of-concept it will never be used for that purpose.

I am pretty happy right now. Now if I can only figure out how to add a 3rd terminal for one of the other TVs
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 01:35 PM

Controlling multiple 8300 devices

Suppose I have two 8300s and two TVs. Ideally, both are in the same room and go into an HDMI switch that has two outputs, one into each of the TVs. That way, with a RF remote, either TV can watch either 8300. However, from what I understand, putting an IR blaster (or any remote) in front of the 8300s will control both of them at the same time.

Is there any other way to distinguish between the two of them? Any creative/clever ideas I haven't thought of?

Basically trying to do home networking, which I know 8300 doesn't do. Maybe the new box will have better home networking, but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited by 57; 2010-03-12 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, please read earlier posts - 2, 3, 9 ->
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 01:50 PM
Member #1

Why would you want two 8300's in the same room?

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 03:10 PM

I had a setup like this as well..

I have my front projector and a 60" Sony GW II. Both using SA4250s. They were set up perpendicular to each other though, so i didn't have any any remote problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in