Prevented From Recording to VCR/DVD From Your Digital STB - Please read first post. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Prevented From Recording to VCR/DVD From Your Digital STB - Please read first post.

This issue is apparently not limited to Shaw, therefore this thread has been moved from the Shaw forum and includes the following summary information

See the following "solutions" and information

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Prevented From Recording to VCR/DVD From Your Digital STB - Please read first post.

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Prevented From Recording to VCR/DVD From Your Digital STB - Please read first post.

This is not Macrovision, it's CGMS-a, however, the result is the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

A potential solution to the problem is in post 11 for others who may have this problem

We have seen some issues with Shaw, where they seem to have improperly implemented the 5C settings on some of their STBs on some channels.

This thread is in a similar vein, but relates to difficulties you may have when recording via analogue connections (RF-coax, composite, S-video, or even component video in a few rare cases)

This question has come up as a result of a discussion which begins in post 171 of the Shaw Thread.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...t=34604&page=9

This person is having difficulty recording certain programmes on a DVD recorder.

I would like to hear from people who are having similar problems (not directly related to the 5C issue). Please include the following information in your reply post:

1. What programmes can you not record?
2. Which channels are affected?
3. What make/model is your STB?
4. That make/model recorder? (DVD recorder or VCR)
5. Who is your service provider and your location?
6. Connection used? (composite, S-video, etc)
7. Do you know the 5C settings and are they what's impacting your recording?
8. Have you found a workaround? - briefly describe, or provide a link.
9. Have you contacted your service provider? What did they say?
10. Is there a "message" that comes on screen saying you can't record? What is that message?
11. Any other pertinent information? - like does this only affect recent movies, etc.

I don't wish to include firewire connections in this thread since the digital issue is one that is separate from the analogue domain, which under "fair use" laws should be recordable and is affected differently.

If you CAN record from your STB to a DVDR, please see post 3.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 02:49 PM

To answer your questions in order:
1. Cannot record any movies on the movie channels made mid-2005 to the present
2. All movie channels on digital cable seem to be affected.
3. STB Model is Motorolla DCT 2000
4.DVD recorder is Toshiba
5.My service provide is Shaw...I love in Victoria, BC
6. I am using s-video, both for in and out
7. Do not know the 5C settings
8. Have been unable to find a workaround
9. I did call Shaw and was informed that all movies are now made copywrited and that nothing can be done.
10. Message states recording failed. Movie is copywrited

Would love some help. Find this very frustrating as I should be able to record from a service I am paying for.

Thanks 57
post #3 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I guess it might also be good information if people are having no difficulties. Please answer as many questions as you have time, but at least provide us with service provider and location if you have no problems. Thanks.

post #4 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 04:59 PM

I am with Shaw cable in Kelowna, BC and can record the digital movie channels on a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder so I will provide more details.

At least I assume the "movie channels on digital cable" are the Movie Central channels which are 55-58 and 63-64 here in Kelowna.

1. Now that I have a 6412, I only use my Panasonic recorder to record programs that I don't have room for on my 6412 or which I want to make DVD recordings of. However I haven't had any problems recording to the recorder's hard drive or DVD for any SD channels whether they are analog or digital channels.
2. None as far I have found in the last year or so.
3. I use a Shaw DCT2000HT to record digital channels and the direct cable feed to record analog cable channels. The HT model has a S-Video and a digital audio output in addition to outputs available on the regular DCT2000.
4.My recorder is a Panasonic DMR E80H HDD/DVD recorder.
5.Shaw in Kelowna BC.
6. I use a direct cable drop to the recorder for analog channels and a S-Video and analog audio stereo cable pair to the recorder for digital channels.
7. I don't know what the 5C settings are on the Movie Central channels but could check after remembering how to get into the diagnostic menu and the appropriate diagnostic page if it would help.
8. Haven't needed a workaround.
9. N/A
10. No problem recording and therefore no message.

Last edited by Alan Bealby; 2006-06-23 at 05:05 PM.
post #5 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 06:40 PM

I am set up the same way you are. Wanted to double check, though. I have the cable going from s-video on the DCT2000HT to s-video input on the DVDR. Is that correct. Have noticed a s-video output as well. My DVDR does not have a hard drive on my DVDR. Our movie channels in Victoria are the same as yours in Kelowna
post #6 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 07:55 PM

S-Video output on the DCT2000HT to a S-Video input on my recorder is what works for me.

I did another read of my recorder's manual and was reminded of some fine print in it.

My recorder's manual says the recorder is compatible with Content Protection for Recordable Media system so one can record broadcasts that allow one copy onto 4.7 GB/9.4 GB DVD-RAM but not onto a DVD-R or the 2.8 GB DVD-RAM discs. If I read this right I should be able to record anything that is not limited to one copy or less to my hard drive and any writeable DVD. If it is limited to one copy only I should be able to record to the HDD or 4.7/9.4 GB DVD-RAM but not to copy from there to anything else. I just succeed in burning a DVD of the 10 minute clip I recorded from a Movie Central channel to the hard drive. Presumably it does not have any protection to limit copying. My recorder does not support DVD-RW but I would think if it did it should also record content limited to one copy but don't know for sure.

I don't know what kind of DVDs the Toshiba works with but does the manual saying anything about CPRM, the content protection system that the Panasonic is supposed to respect. It does seem as though there is some copyright protection showing up on your output from Shaw's cable box and that isn't on mine.

I'll try to find some time to check what the 5C flag for the Movie Central flag is set to here but my World Cup Soccer viewing is taking up a lot of my time now, particularly the last four days with 4 games a day going.

My deduction, probably wrong, is that you should be able to record to rewriteable disks but maybe not to write-once ones like DVD-R or DVD+R if the contnet is flagged as one copy only.
post #7 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 08:03 PM

I will look in the Toshiba booklet for info on CPRM. I just tried to tape the Wedding Crashers, as a test, on Movie Channel 55, using a DVD-RW, and within 1 minute got an ERROR notification saying the movie had been stopped as it was copywrite protected.
If you have time, would like to know how to check the FC flag. No rush....enjoy the game
post #8 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bealby
7. I don't know what the 5C settings are on the Movie Central channels but could check after remembering how to get into the diagnostic menu and the appropriate diagnostic page if it would help.
See the Digital Home FAQ on "Motorola STBs" (under Help).

post #9 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 09:39 PM

I checked the 5C flag on Channel 55 but on my 6412 cable box. It was 0. I tried to check on the DCT2000HT but I couldn't find where the 5C flag status is displayed, if it is on this cable box. From the other thread on the 5C flag is appears that this flag, if it is related to your problem is set differently on different model cable boxes at the same location.

I am now at a standstill. Hopefully other with some better ideas will post.
post #10 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 09:52 PM

Thanks for trying. Obviously, the issue is with Shaw in Victoria.
post #11 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-24, 09:12 AM

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Checked out the Toshiba DVDR handbook on CPRM. The DVDR will not record copywrited movies on DVD-R or DVD-RW disks. Can do the copy once on DRD-RAM's so will try that...I have one that came with the recorder. We knew nothing about copywriting when we purchased this thing so never thought to ask. Will know better next time. Thank you 57, and Alan Bealby for all your help. The problem was obviously not with Shaw but my ignorance.
post #12 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-24, 03:10 PM

charlyne13

Absolutely not a problem. A/V technology gets increasingly complex and it is hard to absorb all the details and gotcha's that can occur. I have been caught by a number of them myself. Some of them repeatedly as my memory is failing and I forget small details if I am not repeatedly refreshing them. I have to thank Hugh for having this web site that allows more knowledgeable or more experienced individuals to help others out.

I will be writing down on my current recorder manual the warning that copy protected channel content may not be recorded to DVD-RW and probably not to DVD+RW either. Somehow, DVD-RAM allows files to be flagged as "do not copy further" and DVD-R and DVD-RW cannot.

But it still leaves me confused. I said I could record a Movie Central channel to my recorder's hard disk drive and then copy or, as Panasonic calls it, dub it to a DVD-R. I may try to record from a Movie Central channel directly from my DCT2000HT to a DVD-R to see if I have any problem with that. I'll post the result here.
post #13 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-24, 04:04 PM

Charlyne13

Talk about reading the fine print. I read your initial posting to this thread again. You say in it you are only having problems recording movies made from mid-2005 to the present. I missed or forgot this and it means my attempt at recording was probably not relevant as it would likely have been an older movie. Can you give me the name of a movie that you have unsuccessfully tried to record and is scheduled to show on a SD Movie Central channel in the near future. I'll then try that here with my equipment just to see what happens.
post #14 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-24, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

See post 7 - Wedding Crashers?

post #15 of 202 (permalink) Old 2006-06-24, 04:53 PM

Thanks 57. Another example of my fading memory. I checked and it is on twice on Tuesday. I'll try and setup to check whether I can record to my external recorders hard drive and to a DVD-R.

I have been thinking about this and realize that I rarely record SD Movie Central movies, especially the new movies. I now prefer HD movies on Movie central or movies on DVD. Movies on DVD are usually 16:9 or original aspect ratio with DD5.1 sound. SD Movie Central movies are generally poorer in picture quality and usually poorer sound. MC just has a few SD movie with DD5.1 sound tracks but even with those with DD5.1 sound I prefer DVDS with their better picture quality. I would like to know whether I am affected by this limitation even though I will rarely try to record in this manner.

I have a 65" HD ready TV so picture quality is very import with a screen that large as I sit about 9' in front of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in