Do I Need Luxury Cables? - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-03-30, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
walldad, they are both the same, 75 ohm. It will work fine.

The composite cable is usually yellow, so it matches the yellow input/outputs on most equipment. The coaxial audio is usually orange (sometimes black), for the same reason.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-03-30, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzpayne
I'd love to see what Monster did with those mock ups they have inside stores.
If you read the display carefully, they often are comparing Mon$ter component video vs a regular COMPOSITE video cable. Since the spelling of the two words is so similar, many people miss the fact that the connections are in fact different.

post #93 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-03-30, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, you are right it has a yellow band.
As long as it works no problem
Thanks again

post #94 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-07, 04:05 PM

Monster invests tons into marketing. Those costs have to come back somehow. Can you name any other brand of cables off the top of your head? Cables are about impedance, gauge and construction. The tighter the tolerances, the higher the manufacturing costs. Do they exceed others, probably. How much $$ do you care? No monsters in my systems, just good quality cables purchased mainly through industrial wholesalers. Coax and cat 5 with connections done by myself with the proper tools. The result, no intermittents, and no discernable crosstalk or excessive losses, ghosting, etc. Better to research cable specs, then you will find superior cables at places you may normally not shop.
post #95 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-07, 06:16 PM

Cool *Many More Brands*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstrom
Monster invests tons into marketing. Those costs have to come back somehow. Can you name any other brand of cables off the top of your head? Cables are about impedance, gauge and construction. The tighter the tolerances, the higher the manufacturing costs. Do they exceed others, probably. How much $$ do you care? No monsters in my systems, just good quality cables purchased mainly through industrial wholesalers. Coax and cat 5 with connections done by myself with the proper tools. The result, no intermittents, and no discernable crosstalk or excessive losses, ghosting, etc. Better to research cable specs, then you will find superior cables at places you may normally not shop.
What Marketing???, I have yet to see a commercial, or any promotion on Monster Cables. Monster has been around for a long time,it is a well established company, you would think the dollars would go into R&D. YES I can, that would be JPS Labs... Monster does not even scratch the surface when it comes to the high end cable market. In some of the smaller cities try finding anything high end. I talked to someone at FS and the reasons they fianally got into the Monster line was becasue customers were asking for it. The AR brand they carry is not too cheap either.

I think this is also the wrong place to be discussing this as everyone seems to think that people who buy Monster are all stupid uninformed and wasting their money.(Unless you are an audio video phile & read mags like Sound & Vision etc.) One thing I will tell you is that you all mention these extreme prices for Monster, but at least give people the facts, Monster makes a variety of cables in different price ranges. For example the test at PC World used a Monster $300.00, which is ridiculous,they also have one for $100.00 which is good enough. The bottom line is inform yourself, don"t listen to sales people or look at the fancy comparision displays...

Before I had all my AV gear I used to go to many sound rooms, I did my research, I do not just throw money on the counter, and buy into the brand name hipe. Here is an important question for you all, what type of Cables interconnects etc. do you think they are using in those high end sound rooms. Here is another question, you know Paradigm, they make all their own stuff and do extensive testing on their speakers in special rooms , what do you think they use for Cables???

I know who CARES..... You also don't put vinyl seats in a Mercedes

Last edited by AVCbot; 2006-04-07 at 06:48 PM.
post #96 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-07, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

AVCbot, I strongly suggest you read the link in post 1. S&V did similar tests with similar results.

Edit: I see that after your long post you actually then bothered to read the comparison in post 1 and then had to edit your post and "weasel" by talking about $100 instead of $300 cables... which are still too expensive...
Quote:
they also have one for $100.00 which is good enough.
No, what's good enough is the one you can buy from Monoprice for $10. Why would anyone spend 10 (or 30) times as much?

There has NEVER been a single double blind test done on cables showing any visible or audible difference, provided the cables used were not the dollar store variety.

There have been several tests showing differences, but in all of those the test was "rigged" - composite vs component, like Mon$ter does all the time in various stores, or a coat hanger vs a coaxial cable.

Mon$ter also recently "rigged" a test on their speaker wire by comparing their wire with about 1000' of small gauge wire. I even found the link...

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...ptivedemos.php

Mon$ter are Charlatans, end of story.

The reason AV stores use Mon$ter speaker wire (or another high priced brand) is so they can sell them to YOU at huge markups. They wouldn't make much money selling 10-12 ga 2-conductor wire at $35 for 100' would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCbot
You also don't put vinyl seats in a Mercedes
In Europe they actually do, but if you want the best performance, that's achieved with cloth. Leather is just like Mon$ter, overhyped and overpriced.

post #97 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-07, 11:37 PM

I posted this link already in another thread on surround sound, but I would encourage anyone on the verge of falling for the Monster hype, and spending dollars they have a much better use for, to have a look at this article. (Cable elevators optional).

Speaker Wire Info

Make up your own mind - it's your wallet - but I suggest you especially heed the advice about doing any meaningful comparisons blind (which 57 referred to) and back-to-back (with immediate switching).

As for the 'comparisons' Monster has in the store - they are never 12 gauge to 12 gauge, comparable cable lengths, or component to component. There's an excellent example of their marketing techniques in the article above. Look behind the display - as the saying goes, apples to apples ...

Edit: On review, I see this same link has been posted much earlier in this thread. My apologies for regurgitating it - but it's still an excellent article. I love the thought of a guy educating the masses about copper wire while standing on a spool of 'monster' cable.

Last edited by WestCDA; 2006-04-07 at 11:58 PM.
post #98 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-08, 12:13 PM

Well said 57.

I have over 70K$ in gear in my HT, and won't tell you how much more in the fully treated and dedicated room . And I'm using Rat Shack cables and interconnects, Carol in-wall 12 AWG speakers cables (25$ for 100'), AR cables and interconnects, and some Ultralink cables just for HDMI.

If there was really a difference with luxury cables, I would be the first to buy them. The cable that cost me the most in my system is an Ultralink HD-Pro cable, because it's the only one I've used that was able to pass a true 1080p video signal with 8 channels of 96/24 audio over HDMI. The Monster HDMI cable at 300$, and alot of fiber optic HDMI cables (costing over 700-800$) were showing sparklies or no signal at all. Same thing with Monoprice and RAM HDMI cables. The Ultralink did cost me 80$ and is working flawlessly. That's not subjective. The cable is working or not in that situation... Nothing in between.

I was able to try 6000$ audio interconnects in my system and there was no difference, and my dealer (a friend) was there with me to try them. And he totally agrees that costly interconnects and cables are not making any differences.

Like he said. He's selling 6000$ interconnects because some rich people are asking for them.Why would he say "No" and spit on the money?
post #99 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-10, 05:27 PM
dts

I really feel sorry about your capability of your system even after spending your said amount.

You cannot make your declaring statement on interconnects like that by just using your personal system with your own experience. It is just a laughing joke.

By just looking at your equipment list, I already know the limiting factor in your system why you can't tell the difference in sound quality when swapping in hi-end interconnects.

My 69K$ systems can easily tell the sonic changes when using different cables or tweaks, so there are a lot of fun.
post #100 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-10, 05:53 PM

Great job on the theatre, Levesque; I just had a look at your photos and that is a nicely done installation. Good idea on the small TFT screen to bypass the projector for setup, audio listening, etc. I'm installing a Dell panel into a bar at the back of the theatre room for the same purpose.

The equipment list is impressive - kudos for using common sense on your cables. I'm sure the audio and video is très magnifique!
post #101 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-11, 09:31 AM
Veteran

Bringing up a good topic on the HDMI Levesque. Need a couple HDMI cables for myself atm. I don't have a $70K setup but nonetheless I do have a 1080P set and come November (PS3) I will have a player capable of outputting 1080P. Are the cheaper cables not going to do 1080P? I have found 6ft HDMI cables for $15. Unless I'm given a compelling reason to do so I'll take the $15 cable over thr even the $80 cable.

That being said when will we have 1080P content anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the next gen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both going to be 720P/1080I?
post #102 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 05:41 PM

Cheap Speaker cable

I picked up 100 foot 16 gage speaker wire (philips) from zellers for $20. I don't understand why places like best buy and future shop mark up their speaker wire so much.
post #103 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand why places like best buy and future shop mark up their speaker wire so much.
Because they sell them to unsuspecting losers who don't read forums like this, and make all their money off them.

To answer the first question, YES! You need to buy the most expensive cables possible, always.
post #104 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-18, 08:56 PM

I guess if I had a hundred thousand dollars of equipment; I might consider spend a few thousdand dollars worth of cables. You know the show off factor is worth that already. Just think about invite a friend over instead of watch HD or listen to music. Show them the cables that cost a full karat of diamond ring. Ouch better don't let they wife read this.
post #105 of 372 (permalink) Old 2006-04-19, 02:11 PM

Recently, while setting up my HTPC I decided to install my very expensive Recoton S-Video AB switch to route the S-Video output of my 8300HD to either my D-VHS deck or the S-Video input of my capture card.

The unit has previously seen service as a component switcher between my DVD player and the 8300HD to my TV before I got my flatscreen and converted to HDMI. I must say that using the composite video & 2 audio connections to switch the Y'UV worked flawlessly but one of the inputs did suffer from a cold solder joint and I had to move the connection.

Now, after I installed the unit (remeber it is installed backwards - as a destination rather than a source selector) as a S-Video I noticed visible cross-hatching in the picture. I replaced it with a $9 S-Video Female coupler from the Source and my manual switch is, well, very manual now.

If I was selling over-priced snake oil then I would conclude that the $9 through barrel connector should sell for $200 and provides better picture quality. These are the type of comparisons that Mon$ter does.

BTW - the cross-hatching I suspect comes from the fact that this Recoton box can downconvert S-Video to Component (or is that upconvert) and has some sophisticated electronics to do so (a couple of resistors, capacitors and an inductor). I suspect that if I spend an hour with a multimeter tracing the connections I could figure out how to disable this "feature" & make the box work bi-directionally. Nah, not worth the effort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in