Do I Need Luxury Cables? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-02, 09:57 PM

Smile

Well all this makes me feel like I've been taken to the cleaners.

I spent 99 cents for a six foot HDMI cable. http://cgi.********/Certified-6FT-HDM...QQcmdZViewItem

I know it's gonna cost $10.50US shipping, but maybe I should have bartered my way down to 50 cents.

My options were Best Buy $149.00 CDN or Ebay .99 cents US. Hmmmm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-05, 05:50 PM

high quality vs normal cables

I was always under the assumption that the higher quality cables cost more for three reasons; gold connectors (obviously for better connectivity), insulation (for less noise, and longer distances), and name recognition (no advantage). If it's the case where the cable is the bottle neck for the PQ or SQ in your product then spring for the better ones... otherwise who cares. I guess the only way to know is to try it and see for your self... unless there is a guide for distance etc out there?

Also... it seems to me that it makes more sense to have a high quality cable when the signal is analoge... not so much for a digital signal (unless its optical).
post #18 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 10:53 PM

I suppose there are arguments on both sides of the fence. But IMHO it don't make no diff to the average person's eyes and ears. I tried component cables versus svideo and there ain't no visible difference. I'm certain the same is true of the cable quality. Save your money for DVD's or a better tuner or video display.

post #19 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude
I tried component cables versus svideo and there ain't no visible difference.
S-video cannot handle HD signals, only 480i. I guess you weren't comparing HD images?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
S-video cannot handle HD signals, only 480i. I guess you weren't comparing HD images?
You are correct. It was DVD. And you've made a good point...
post #21 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-12, 10:47 AM

Location: -----London----- Rogers; Panny 50"DLP; Denon 3805; Paradigm Performance 5.1; SA8300HD; NAD+EposM5
The best article that I have read regarding cable is this one...

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I know this was testing speaker wire, but the idea is the same for interconnect cables.

The basic conclusion is there is a difference with guage and distance of a cable, but the material did not matter.

My advice is...Buy a good quality, heavy guage cable and you should be fine. When I say "good quality", I don't mean the Monster cable that is overpriced (do not waste your money). I just mean that you can probably do better than the thin little cables that come with your equipment.

Take a look at surplus stores. I was able to find some quality cables at a surplus store for $2 a piece (manufactured by RCA and marketed as "high end" and sold in stores for much more).

You should be able to find similar cables on ebay for much less as well. The 99c HDMI cable that is being mentioned in other threads is a good example.
post #22 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 03:52 PM

I'm from Missouri: Show me !

When the guy at the AV store tells you the picture will look better with high end cables, just ask him to provide a demonstration. Certainly, if they can sell an outrageously priced cable on the basis of its superiority, they must be able to demonstrate it without difficulty in the showroom.
post #23 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 04:15 PM

He's something funny.

When I was shopping for my DLP at Best Buy the sales guy went on and on about the big thick Monster HDMI cable, and how you must have it, or the digital signal will look terrible.

I then showed him that the HDMI cable they had plugged into their own 61 inch DLP in their store was a skimpy looking thing and not a Monster cable, but somehow produced a perfect picture. He then muttered something about looking into the matter.

Their own skinny HDMI cable looked alot like the HDMI cable I got on Ebay for 99 cents plus delivery, and it works perfectly.

If it's digital, it either works or it doesn't. Dont buy expensive digital cables.
post #24 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 02:22 PM

Talking

Great thread. I always wondered about spending extra on expensive cables, especially for digital signals. I think my budget for my new TV and sound system went up

Last edited by 57; 2005-10-22 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
post #25 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 03:42 PM

Exclamation Analog/Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum314
...it seems to me that it makes more sense to have a high quality cable when the signal is analoge... not so much for a digital signal (unless its optical).
That's a good point but I would have been curious to see the PC World folks do the same study for speaker wires. Is wire size making that much difference? I'm aware of the electrical differences between different gauges of wires for example but could it be that there is no audible difference beyond a given gauge?

Maybe the quality gain curve is exponential; lots to be gained from (let's say) 20 gauge to 16 gauge but very little from 16 gauge to anything bigger?
post #26 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Speaker wire is the same. No need for anything special, as long as the gauge is large enough. 12-14 ga two-conductor wire is usually adequate for most applications. See the table in the following link.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Just reread the thread and this was already discussed in post 21 above.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #27 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 04:15 PM

Arrow Interesting Link

Thanks 57, pretty interesting link. I saw it after the fact 'cause the post with the link appeared while I was typing my previous post...

Last edited by 57; 2005-10-22 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
post #28 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 09:05 PM

.....the gauge is pretty much the inportant part...............you can contribute significantly to system impedance with very long runs of speaker wire whose gauge is too small......i use 11 gauge
all around & my two longest runs are 60 ft. There is also some discussion of the use of multistrand speaker wire with say 2 pairs of two insulated wires, each twisted....can aid in noise rejection. I use 4 strand cable ( 2 pairs of twisted 14 gauge, effective 11 gauge) on all runs.

Integra Research RDC-7.1, Bryston 9B-SST, NHT vt2, vs2 & sw2, Sony 65XBR10w, Moto 6416iii, PS3-250, Sony BDP-s550
post #29 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-28, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
When the guy at the AV store tells you the picture will look better with high end cables, just ask him to provide a demonstration. Certainly, if they can sell an outrageously priced cable on the basis of its superiority, they must be able to demonstrate it without difficulty in the showroom.
Funny story actually... my friend and I were at FS last year when he was purchasing some new HT equipment and were on the subject of cables. The salesman was trying to sell my friend the pricey component cables (at the time component was the best cabling available). He said, come look at the demo comparison. They had a TV setup with a PIP split of two signals coming in from 2 prog scan dvd players (same units). However one side definitely looked much better than the other. We looked into the unit closer and discovered that the one source was connecting via Monster component cables and the other side via STANDARD RCA's..

OF COURSE the component side will look better via prog scan compared to the other sending a basic low quality signal through the composite connections. We showed the salesman what we found and he was still trying to backup the fact the Monster cables will outperform all others! heh, needless to say I took my friend to another store and bought Ultralink cables for much cheaper.

Sony KDL46HX800, BDPS470|Pio 1020|PS3 80G|Athena AS-F1s, C1|Energy VMinis, V10|Moto VIP1232|HOne|APC UPS
post #30 of 372 (permalink) Old 2005-10-28, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig
.....the gauge is pretty much the inportant part...............you can contribute significantly to system impedance with very long runs of speaker wire whose gauge is too small......i use 11 gauge
all around & my two longest runs are 60 ft. There is also some discussion of the use of multistrand speaker wire with say 2 pairs of two insulated wires, each twisted....can aid in noise rejection. I use 4 strand cable ( 2 pairs of twisted 14 gauge, effective 11 gauge) on all runs.
I agree, I used 14awg speaker cables (Monster cables.. actually got them on sale for $50/100ft. in US). My longest runs are around 30-35 ft. (rear channels running wire through floor/basement). I had trouble finding just a 100ft. of 14awg cable for cheap anywhere here. Using anything below 14awg for long runs is not good (compared to the report on the site listed aboe) which contribute to poor signal quality. I do agree however that using inexpensive speaker cables are all that's needed for most applications.

Did you do a custom DIY wire for that Rigpig? Sounds like a hefty wire you got, then again you've got some nice equipment hooked up through those wires.

Sony KDL46HX800, BDPS470|Pio 1020|PS3 80G|Athena AS-F1s, C1|Energy VMinis, V10|Moto VIP1232|HOne|APC UPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in