Do I Need Luxury Cables? - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-02-24, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 04:38 PM

Replying to what wuvhandles stated,

About them dollar store coxial cables, yes you are correct sir. I'm 21 and didn't know any better when I was 16, so I bought some RG-59 cables from a local $ store.

Everything you said is correct and now I KNOW BETTER than to have bought them. Eventhough I never throughout the years have thought anything about the quality -- they were fine for my antenna uses indoors. But now when I think about it, copper beats out aluminum all the time. These $ cables have cheap aluminum contacts, so it allows them to be super bendy, etc, really inferior.

I'll be sure next time to buy only RG-6 now since its better. Things you learn when you get older eh ??

PS. I still have some leftover of these $ cables, what would you suggest regulating them for usage?

PS. #2: Some dollar store do sparingly offer name brand coxial cables if you have luck finding them like RCA. I got a meter of RG6 from there and they were way better, less bendy and copper wire inside. But then again, you got know how to tell a bad cable from a good.

BTW: Does anyone know what cable (RG-59 or Rg6) Rogers technician use? They seem to bend less, so are they good to use, because I too have some to use

Last edited by radeonboy; 2008-03-08 at 04:49 PM.
post #213 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Rogers technician?
They use RG-6 cables.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #214 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 06:43 PM

Wow guys, working at an electronics retailers store I have different views of those highly priced cables.. just because they make me the most commission!
Really and truly though, using an Xbox360 Elite and the Sharp 46D62U I ran the microsoft HDMI cable that came in the box of my newly purchased Elite, I purchased monsters 300, 400 and Ultra 800 series cables, not because Future Shop makes me a balla but the fact that they're cables are marked up 2400% I can afford to buy them at a good staff purchase .
Testing each cable I found next to no difference at the 4-8' length. Now I didn't go as far as to test at longer distances but my questions to my likings were answered there and then.
There's no freaking difference...
post #215 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 11:25 AM

Superstore for 6ft HDMI, Component and optical cables. Better than Dollar store, at par with Monoprice and much cheaper than FS.

Last edited by 57; 2008-03-15 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Pricing and pejorative removed.
post #216 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-29, 09:00 PM

Hdmi Cable Clarification

I came across this story the other day and thought it might help some people out if they have questions about HDMI cables, even with HDMI 1.3 and whether or not you require a special cable as some retailers and or manufacturers claim.

This story does contain a small reference to prices for cables from some retailers, but has been cleared as ok by 57.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/
post #217 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-29, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Very valuable information, from links to links you find info to better understand HDMI and how to match with your specific set-up.

Job well done!
post #218 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 11:23 AM

I'd completely agree, I've been in the RF Engineering world most of my working career (16 years). I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the prices of the Monster Cables in Retail Stores.

Admittedly I did buy one out of curiosity, and also bought a Rocketfish HDMI off eBay (for a lot less than the Retail Prices in shops), and a HDMI cable from a friend of a friends computer shop. The price difference between the 3 being from $150 to $25(including p&p) and $15.

I can't see any difference whatsoever between the 3, I played a movie and fixed on a certain area, then would swap the cable and compare. I don't know which of my Shaw HD PVR, Phillips Upconverter or HD DVD player has which cable right now, and I'm not concerned either.

It all boils down to marketing, Monster did a really good job convincing people that they absolutely must have these cables to get the best quality picture they can get, and back it up with technical jargon on the packet that most people wouldn't understand, and because they don't understand it, and because the cable is so expensive, it must be true (members of this board exempt of course) I'll bet most people who don't frequent boards like this, if you asked them to name a brand name HDMI cable, Monster would be right up there. It also doesn't help that some stores sell Cable Company HD PVR's, with no Component or audio cables that were supplied in the box, and then recommending a selection of Monster Cables that just happen to be in the store. I've come across that on more than one occasion, and don't agree with it one bit, yet because of the commision mark ups, can understand why they do it.
post #219 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 09:19 PM

My experience

In reading this article, it really does mirror my experiences with my system. My DVD player, a Sony DVP-NS755V, is pre-hdmi. I have it hooked up with component cables, Acoustic Research Master Series Component Video Cables, that I picked up at Princess Auto for next to nothing. The picture quality is incredible. I have it hooked up through my HK AVR645 to my LG LCD, all inputs are output through hdmi.

When I purchased my tv, I compared the differences between the two types of cables, there was a slightly sharper image through hdmi, back then, I didn't have the receiver, now, it's better, but still, but closer than before, I see a sharper image, but not enough to make me upgrade my DVD player.

So if you go through this article, you'll find them saying the same thing.
post #220 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-04-07, 12:40 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I was in FS yesterday buying an external harddrive for my Mac to do Time Machine backups, and as I was checking out, a salesclerk was transporting a Samsung LCD to the car of the woman who had just purchased it. On top of the box were 3 Monster HDMI Cables priced at over $100 each. I would have said something but it's not my place inside FS's "house" and heck, if you've got the money and if you're willing to listen to a FS salesperson rather than do any research whatsoever, then more power to them.
post #221 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-04-07, 08:54 PM
Veteran

BB salesclerk: What, monprice?

Yesterday evening, I spent a little time shopping for HT purpose. I wanted to tease the devil a little and decided to ask a couple BB clerks for info on inwall 45 50' HDMI cable in order to compare the difference in price with the 45' I have just received from monoprice.

One very chearfull BB clerk told me they didn't carry such and he figured it would be too expensive to order me some of his cables (mon$ter?). On the way to his computer, I jumped as I heard the word monoprice coming out of his mouth! However, I played dum and let him do what he had to do and show me on his computer. He then proceeded to do a search on the monoprice site and showed me some 45' and 50' inwall HDMI cables with the great pricing and even took the time to write the info down on paper for me! I left the store and was really feeling odd about what had just happened!
post #222 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-04-07, 09:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
BB salespeople are not on commission. The smart ones will help you find something they don't have in hopes you will buy from them the next time you come looking for things they do have. It's a good business model as it makes you trust them.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #223 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-04-07, 09:42 PM
Veteran

Yes, I wanted to make the comparision with FS salespeople which are on commission... very big difference! But, I think this is one of the good guy! As you probably know, most salepeople would not bother as it doesn't benefit them (unless as you mentioned on the long term). I really appreciate his attitude (however, my goal was to do price comparision and report it here which I blew totally !)
post #224 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 03:33 PM

Monstor cables - What a joke

The average joe who doesn't spend a lot of time in front of his TV doesn't enjoying it doesn't know the difference between a $20 and $150 HDMI cable.

I have to agree with the monster cable post there is no difference between their product and cheaper cable. I do a lot of video production stuff and know that there are companies out there who are making HDMI cables in China with lesser grade materials and selling them at a high price while there are other companies using higher grade materials and selling them at the correct price in the market place.

The recent cables I bought at Kromer, off the top of my head I can't remember the make, so show that there are higher levels of black and other colors compared to Monster and other cheaper branded HDMI cables.

Unforunately I don't believe in too much what CBC writes or Tom's Hardware, show me something that Consumer Reports wrote, or anyone else who tests and retests on all levels everything giving it a rating. News and small time people like Toms Hardware all must taken with a grained of salt when they say anything about technology they don't have the means nor capital to properly test and retest.

Leathal

Last edited by 57; 2008-05-04 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Post moved to existing thread, also it had nothing to do with Rogers
post #225 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I have moved your post into this thread. If you wish to see tests of various cables, you may wish to read the various links in post 1 (I guess you read the CBC one and didn't believe the professional technician who tested the various cables there) and if you don't believe the professionals who tested in the other links, then you can believe what you like I guess.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in