Do I Need Luxury Cables? - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 05:50 PM
Veteran

57, there is no debate that it is a wise choice to choose a monoprice cable over a monster cable (subject of the study-test) as you get basically the same result at shorter distance. However, you will notice that my concern was the EXTREME, people claiming that Dollar Store cables were just as good... I read from post 1 till the end, I went and carefully looked at the results of his testing and nowhere is there any mention of Dollar Store cables! You, yourself strongly suggested to stay away from such cable.

The questions (which jvincent answered) were strickly for me to understand any logical reason why a cable could be cheaper when use with digital signal versus analog. As I honestly pointed out in some previous posts, I am from the old school and there is a lot for me to learn in this HD world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The interesting thing is that I've never seen a test which shows that a $-store cable will not work just as well for many of the shorter applications, however, I've usually stated that the connectors are pretty poor and there is also little shielding on these cables, so I've usually recommended the step up from $-store, even for short lengths. Once you get into longer lengths, beyond say 6-10', then the $-store cable may not even pass the signal. I once had an inexpensive subwoofer cable (20' or so) that did work with one device, but would not pass the signal (I'm guessing there was less signal strength) from another device.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #183 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:01 PM
Veteran

I am definitely with you on this! When you think about it, scrap copper is worth just as much as those $1 Store cable! During the Xmas holiday, I replaced one of those on my sister small cheap LCD; my brother in law was complaining how bad he felt buying this LCD, he said we are only using to show our pictures fromour trips and it looks awfull. I took him to FS (closest to his home) and bought the cheapest component cable they had in the store, you wouldn't beleive the changes! He wasn't cursing at the flat screen anymore! As we both agree, connections are very important! As you pointed out, cavles in the area of 20 - 30$ should be fine for coax cables. Even in the proffessional fields, rental, we do not always top dollar for cables, what is the sense but we definitely do not use $Store cables!

post #184 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 11:04 AM

Love this debate on cables, I have checked here every time I want to purchase something. I want to make sure I learn from everyone's experiences and spend my money wisely. I am wondering then, can I use a good quality coax video connector for my subwoofer? The one that came with my sub is quite thin, and I do have a few extra video cables laying around, yellow band and orange banded. Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.
post #185 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 11:07 AM

just saw the other thread about sub cables. sorry for this and thanx anyway.
post #186 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 11:07 AM
Rookie

What's wrong with dollar shop cables?

I use free to air satillite dish. TV got connected with coaxial cable.
As I moved my TV to different corner, I need an extension of the cable. I am thinking to buy one from dollar shop. I notice similar one from an electronic store costs around $20-30. I am confused, what's wrong with dollar shop cable?

Is there any difference between digital co-axial and regular coaxial cable? What is RG6 and RG59? What ohm is good? 75ohm is suffiecient? Whats the advantage of gold plated ends?

Also I would like to know about power cables. I am not looking for any insurance. And my TV has got two pin plug. 6 ft lenght is sufficient. So, again can I buy that from dollar shop. Similar one from electronic store costs $10
post #187 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 11:11 AM
Premium Supporter

FAQ - Cables & Connections

If by "power cable" you mean extension cord, one from dollar store is as good as any other one as long as it is properly safety certified ("UL" or "CSA"). If "power cable" means something else, please clarify.

Last edited by eljay; 2008-01-28 at 11:18 AM.
post #188 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 11:11 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Perhaps you should re-read the FAQ on Cables and Connections, here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

Or read the thread on whether to buy "luxury" cables:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

In short, you don't need to spend a lot of money on reasonable quality cables. But buying dollar store cables, depending on the application you want them for, will probably cause you more grief.
post #189 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 12:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info cyclism. Those links helped. For now I will try with dollar shop RF6 cable. Later I am going to change it with component cable. Given links did not talk about gold platted connectors. Assuming that gives better quality.

eljay, I am talking about extension cord only. As you suggested I will try with dollar shop one. Thanks..
post #190 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 12:53 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Gold-plating is nothing but marketing hype and won't do anything to enhance signal transmission.

You do not need gold plated connectors.

Sure, they look nice but you are going to plug them in where they will not be seen. And while gold is more electrically conductive than other metals, the wires inside the dielectric are still copper. Does anyone really think that the signal is somehow going to go through 3-6 feet of copper and then be magically up-converted at the cable end by a bit of gold foil that is just thick enough to notice?
post #191 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:01 PM

I would stay away from the dollar store cables, especially the ones with push on connectors
Remember, you usually get what you pay for when it is really cheap
Check your siganl before, and after the $ store cable is installed, and see the difference
post #192 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:02 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Does anyone really think that the signal is somehow going to go through 3-6 feet of copper and then be magically up-converted at the cable end by a bit of gold foil that is just thick enough to notice?
Only if it's a Monster™-brand cable...
post #193 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:03 PM

While I do not advocate expensive cables when generic cables will do, I'm not so sure how comfortable I would be buying electronics from "dollar" stores especially in light of potential counterfeits, poor quality control, and contaminants.

I have seen many news stories of lead-filled products, leaking batteries, fried wires, counterfeit UL labels, etc. from dollar stores. That's what I see is wrong with buying dollar store cables.

I recommend that you buy low-priced cables from reputable resellers. There are many online shops that offer a very good deal.
post #194 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:05 PM

Oxygen free cable is also about fake prestige, not about superiour performance.

While it is true that copper with quite a lot of oxygen would make for poor wiring (thus no company would ever intentionally produce “enhanced oxygen wire”), removing the little bit of oxygen that will occur in nature does not actually improve electrical conductivity. For brevity, I will skip the physics lesson but even if you did have high oxygen content, it would not affect the electrical properties of copper sufficiently to make a noticeable difference.
post #195 of 372 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:31 PM

Gold-plating is all about protecting the exposed ends of the cable from oxidation. In a typical home there is a very small risk of the resulting oxidation affecting the signal but that does not stop the marketing machine from selling them to you. Anytime you re-insert a cable connection it cleans the copper contacts. The sealed part of the wire is not affected by oxidation. If you have ever had to wiggle your car battery cables to get your car to start you understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in