Reusing the TV side of a wall mount - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Reusing the TV side of a wall mount

Hi All!

I am looking to replace my 52" Sharp from 2008 with a 65" or 70" Samsung/LG. Weights for each of those TVs is less than my current TV. The current TV is wall mounted over my fireplace on a 15 degree tilt mount. Currently, there is about 4 inches of clearance between the bottom of my TV and the fireplace mantle.

Question #1: Can I remove the mounts from the back of the current TV and attach them to the new TV (assuming the VESA pattern is compatible)?

If so, then given the dimensions of the new TVs being larger, the bottom of the new TV would most likely impact the mantle.

Question #2: Is it possible to slide the TV mounts downwards when I attach them, so that when I hook the TV mounts over the wall bracket, the bottom of the TV is effectively higher and will clear the mantle?

As you can surmise, I would rather not move the wall mounted bracket as it is rock solid and I'm leery about pulling the lag bolts out and then remounting them an inch or two higher. Reusing/repositioning the TV mounts seems like less work overall.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 10:48 PM
Veteran

The answer to both questions is yes. It's possible but a lot depends on the design of the wall mount and TV. I've had some success reusing wall mounts in some cases but not others. It's difficult to tell until the TV is in hand.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-01, 08:40 AM

I've used the old (existing) wall mounts adding a small piece of plywood, basically mounting a piece of plywood with wood screws to an existing wall mount. Then using previously drilled holes in the plywood that aligned with the proper sized / pattern vesa mount holes on the back of the new tv. Using slightly longer bolts ( from hardware store) to compensate for the plywood thickness,attached the tv to the plywood basically. As long as the plywood attached to the tv is only slightly larger than the vesa pattern I am not worried about the weight of it or a larger tv being used on a smaller rated mount. Because, the newer tv sets are now lighter than the older sets, but easily verified by looking at specs I guess.
Like you I do not want to remove old mounts and make more holes in my wall, besides you never see the plywood. You could if wanted also use extra bolts to secure the tv to the plywood if the tv has more than one size vesa mounting hole patterns on it ? Maybe I am wrong in doing this but it had worked for me in the past.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-01, 12:00 PM
Veteran

It's probably a little late to suggest this but adapter plates are available that will let TVs be used with mismatched wall mounts. Most wall mounts will accommodate a variety of VESA sizes on the TV so they are not usually needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in