iphone and S8 to TV cable. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-04, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

iphone and S8 to TV cable.

I'll looking to have audio and video from my Iphone X and my Samsung S8 to my TV.

I know I can buy the HDMI cables but I'd rather not buy two separate cables.

Is there an adapter block that will work with both phones to HDMI to the TV?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-04, 05:57 PM
Veteran

There are devices and apps that allow casting to a TV. No wiring is required but a good wifi connection is. Casting devices are typically a dongle that plug into an HDMI port on the TV. They usually cost from $35 to $90. On Android, Google Home will cast the phone screen to a Chromecast or Chromecast compatible TV. There are a number of other casting devices and dongles but that seems to work the best. iOS has similar capabilities but I am not sure of the details. Both iOS and android have hundreds of Chromecast compatible apps as well.

iPhone adapter cables are readily available on Amazon and eBay if you still want to go that route. I personally hate having wires dangling off a smartphone. Most HDMI cables are especially cumbersome.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-04, 06:10 PM

Apparently if you want to stream Netflix etc. from your Apple device then you need the authentic Apple Lightning to Digital AV adapter. Read up on it before buying a knockoff...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 07:42 AM
Veteran

I second the chromecast to cast or mirror your display to your tv. note: not all apps work with mirroring tho, like the bell tv app. but most should work
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 10:52 AM
Veteran

As with most things, Apple uses proprietary methods for mirroring the phone screen. Apple's solutions are an expensive proprietary cable or AirPlay. Apple cables tend to be compatible with their own products only so a single cable solution may be elusive. AirPlay works with Apple TV (also expensive) and a limited number of other devices.

A quick search turned up AirServer which is inexpensive and compatible with Airplay, Google Cast and Miracast. AirServer seems a little too good to be true so I would approach buying it with caution. (Miracast sometimes doesn't work well.) There are both hardware and software AirServer products. AirServer software works on the Mac, Xbox One or Windows 7 and 10 so one of these devices connected to a TV can be used for a 14 day trial without risk.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 11:14 AM

As mentioned, you may just need to spring for the Apple proprietary cable.

With the S8, I recommend getting a cable that allows you to inject power to your phone while connected (unless you do wireless charging). This will allow you to prolong screen mirroring.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't have internet or wifi so not an option.

I ordered two separte cables off amazon for each phone. both allow charging. It is NOT an apple cable so maybe it won't work for netflix. Will it work with pictures and other videos? Youtube=? guess I'll find out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 09:09 PM
Veteran

It's not necessary to have internet or even a router to use wifi. Many wifi devices can connect directly to each other. Some devices do need an internet connection to work correctly though. A cell phone can be turned into a wifi hotspot and be used for internet access using a technique called tethering. Some wireless providers support this or have tethering plans but it's not allowed by many wireless providers.

YouTube won't work without internet and phone data could be horrendously expensive. The same is true of many other video or audio services such as Netflix, Crave or various "go" TV services. With the wrong plan, one movie could cost more than it's purchase price on disc. Unlimited wireless plans often get throttled after a few GB so that may not work well either.

The other gotcha is that some video service apps disable the HDMI port and casting when streaming video. I don't think that applies to Netflix or YouTube but it does to some broadcasters and BDUs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I read the fine print. Looks like the cable I bought for the iphone will NOT work with netflix. However, the one for the S8 should. that's the one I need to watch netflix, on the S8. so i hope it works.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-13, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I got my cables. the one for the S8 works great.

The one for the iphone will not play netflix (which I knew) but it will also not play videos (movies) that I have purchased and downloaded on itunes. It works with you tube. I have returned it. I need one that will play the videos (movies). so I guess the answer to that is to buy an apple brand one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in