Samsung TV remote repair - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 57
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Samsung TV remote repair

I have a Samsung LCD television that is in good operating condition except for the remote control.

So I ordered what I thought was a genuine replacement but when the replacement remote arrived it was discovered it was a substitution as the original is no longer available. The problem with the replacement remote is it lacks functionality of the original and we cannot access functions on the TV that the original remote can do.

So my question is, can I disassemble my existing sammy remote and clean/repair contacts thereby restoring its operating functionality. Or is this thing much like computer keyboards on notebook computers?

Would be nice to obtain a remote that one could assign features to specific buttons on the remote. Now that would solve the problem!

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 07:29 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may be able to disassemble and clean the contacts.

You could also purchase a Harmony remote, like the 650/655 for around $50 (on sale, boxing day, etc). It would not only control your TV (all functions) but also all other devices (IR) that you have in your home theatre. It is "activity based", so one button press turns on all applicable devices, tunes to the correct input, etc.
Gentleman likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 07:36 PM
Veteran

Not knowing the TV model number its difficult to provide detailed advice. I would suggest looking on eBay for a working used remote.

Another option would be a Harmony remote. It would most likely have the original remote in its database along with all the keys. I'd suggest the Harmony 650 since it isn't too expensive. Almost all the keys on a Harmony 650 remote can be programmed and assigned.

Since the replacement remote does not work, they should take it back with shipping at their cost.

Repair is often not possible with newer remotes. The contact under the keys may be in sealed units that cannot be repaired or cleaned.
Gentleman likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I learned something tonight. Did not know about Logitech Harmony remotes. Thanks 57 & ExDilbert!

The vendor of the remote I purchased is in Florida and there is a 30 day no questions asked return policy. However the postage to return this to the vendor is about the cost of the remote. So returning it is out of the question.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 08:16 PM
Veteran

I've sometimes received refunds without having to return the item if it doesn't work as advertised.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 10:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Did you purchase directly or through someone like Amazon or eBay. If something like the latter, they will "make good" on any purchases through them.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post

So my question is, can I disassemble my existing sammy remote and clean/repair contacts thereby restoring its operating functionality.
Yes, depending on the damage, you might be able to with some of this stuff.. I have never used it personally, but others have.
"CaiKot 44, Conductive Silver/Carbon Coating for most surfaces"
https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywo...ng-surfaces%2F

In the past I fixed a TV remote's buttons using copper tape. It is still working today.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in