DVD samsung - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

DVD samsung

Hi there, I have a samsung BD-J5100 Blu-ray DVD player. I am trying to connect on my wifi wireless internet, and I can’t. I contact video, and mention me that I need an adapter for plugging my samsung DVD on the web. What is an adapter? And is there another way to connected on my wifi? Any help much appreciations. Happy new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 04:08 PM
Premium Supporter

A quick look at the owner's manual says that your Blu-ray (BD) player is not wi-fi capable. You need to run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the BD player to your router.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

It says wifi capability. And on the box it says wireless.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 05:19 PM
Veteran

There may be more than one version of this player. I see it advertised as having wifi but the product manual on the Samsung website says it must be wired to the network. If the box says wifi and it doesn't have it. I would return it. The hardware to connect it with wifi could cost more than the player. I would put my money into a better player instead.

I researched Blu-ray players about a year ago. The Sony BDP-S3700 was generally regarded as the best low cost player at the time. It's priced at about $99. This may have been superseded by the BDP-S6700.
juliecross007 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess I will have to buy a roku express than.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:03 PM
Veteran

I also did some research on this model of samsung blue ray player. it IS wifi capable, but you NEEEEEED to plug in a samsung wireless usb dongle into the front usb port to be able to connect to a wifi network, I do not own this model so I could not tell u if it is suppose to come with this usb dongle or do you have to buy it separately? here is the link

In all honestly, its easier to buy a model with wifi included, or just plug in a ether net cable, problem solved.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Is it the blue cord that goes into the wireless wifi modem? If it’s that, i bought it separately. But the USB to plug on tv I also need to buy one, but lucky me for the USB cable I had one spare.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 07:06 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliecross007
It says wifi capability. And on the box it says wireless.
FWIW, I re-scanned the Quick Guide and the User Manual - both of which are available here - and neither of them says anything about "wi-fi" or "wireless". However, both of them have instructions on how to connect to your network using an ethernet cable.

If you can return the Samsung, you may want to consider getting a Sony BDP-S3700 (which has dual-band wireless connectivity). I have one and find that it works very well for things like BDs/DVDs, Netflix and pulling content off a NAS.

Last edited by eljay; 2019-01-01 at 09:39 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

When i plug the DVD player into my tv, and go to setting there is a connect section for wifi wireless. There is a ton of video on YouTube but none of the helps. I will stick to my plan, buy a roku express. Thank you all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-03, 02:33 PM
Veteran

cool, so try to open the wifi settings and see if it can detect wifi networks, if it does not or gives you some kind of error, then it probably is missing the hardware and you need to buy it separately. otherwise, if u have an internet cable, plug one end into the lan port of your modem and the other end into your blue ray player and voila, it will have internet connectivity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in