Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

One STB to several TV's

7K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  holl_ands 
#1 ·
Hi again.
Well the antenna idea fizzled out when we got fibre internet and the provider provides a skinny cable package. The STB has a single HDMI out that goes to a TV. I also have a tv in the kitchen and a couple downstairs that I wouldn't mind being able to watch.
1) can I split the HDMI coming out of the STB?
2) what practical distance can I run it? The runs would be in the 50' or slightly longer range.
3) any better deployments available?

Thanks,
BJ

#2 ·
1. Yes
2. At long distances you would need a very good (powered) splitter or switch and also probably use Redmere technology for the cables at those distances. Regular HDMI simply wouldn't work. Of course, the same programme would be viewed on all TVs. Most people get the appropriate number of boxes for their TVs, especially at those distances and since they can then watch different programmes on each TV, again, in light of the cost of using splitters and Redmere.
3. Someone else may know.

#3 ·
If you were going from one room to another that was right below it.. you might be OK.. but not wanting to do anything longer than that.

There are some options That I have used at some work locations, doing HDMI over ethernet (for screen/signage).

But as 57 said.. any of your options for the longer distances.. your starting to talk the COST of those things, the pain of actually running the cables, etc.

The cost of the renting/buying the TV boxes will likely be much less than the other options.

#4 ·
If you do not care about HD quality, you can ask your provider for the "SD" version of their STB or DTA terminal, mind you, you forgot to tell us which provider and which model set top box. Once its an SD box, you can feed it to the tv via Coax, then you can split the coax and feed it back into the wallplate and configure your inside wiring by going to where your master splitter is inside your house and changing the other end of the wire from the output and move it to the input, then you can connect your other tvs to existing coax wall jacks and tune them to CATV channel 3 and they should pick up the picture. I did this with a widescreen SD signal from one of my satellite tv receivers and security cameras and it worked great

#5 ·
Using a wireless HDMI sender would be much more practical. Unfortunately, a high quality unit with multiple receivers can be very expensive. Long Range Wireless 5x2 HDMI Matrix PRO with 3 Additional Receivers There may be cheaper options available.

If this is Fibe or a similar product, the most practical option would be to rent wireless remote receivers for each TV. Unfortunately, rental costs can add up to a ridiculous sum after several years. Purchasing other hardware may work out cheaper in the long run. Bell now supports the Apple TV and the Amazon Fire TV stick. The latter is only $70 for the 4K version so it's the lowest in terms of cost.

#6 ·
Fol. Wireless Multiple HDMI Extender Kit (TX + 1ea RX) is only $200....and only $27 for each additional RX:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Extender-Remote/dp/B07B4NRKLG

And Fol. Iomega Multiple HDMI Extender Kit (TX + 3ea RX) is only $300: [Use pull-down menu for other options]
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Additional-Receivers-GWHDMS52MBK3

Note that HDMI MATRIX alternative (cited in earlier post) is also a pull-down menu choice. This allows up to FOUR SOURCES (e.g. Cable Box, BD/UD-Player, Playstation, whatever) to be selected INDEPENDENTLY at each of up to 4 TV's, using built-in IR Passthru capability.

Depending on how many systems use DIRECT HDMI Cables [just 1...or perhaps 2???], you would ALSO need a 2-Port or 3-Port HDMI Splitter [NOT needed with MATRIX alternative]. Here is an example of a 4-Port Splitter that supports 4K@30 Hz (but NOT 60 Hz):
https://www.amazon.com/Movcle-Splitter-Adapter-Powered-Certified/dp/B0180PPTNO
And a more expensive 4-Port HDMI Splitter that supports up to 4K@60Hz [for now or future growth]:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-HDMI-60Hz-Splitter-Management/dp/B07BX8JWV8
And fol. are 2-Port HDMI Spllitters that support up to 4K@60Hz:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...h=n:172282,k:hdmi+splitter+1+in+2+out+4k+60hz

#7 ·
If I was the OP and this was my question, I would want the most inexpensive solution aka the one I posted. since I already am on a budget by trying to share one STB with 2 or 3 TV. so Yeah maybe the op is on a budget and has very little money to spend on distributing an hdmi signal to multiple TVs. If I was poor I would say, to hell with HD, I am going Standard Definition and distributing it to multiple TV's with a simple 3 or 4 way splitter and downgrade my hd DTA box to a SD DTA box. This is the most economical and cheapest and practical solution. Now if the cable company refuses to downgrade the hd box for an sd box, thats a whole other story, maybe if u would tell us the name of the cable company we could find out if this is doable for you

#8 ·
I don't know of any BDUs that have SD only boxes available. Almost all modern video equipment is HD capable with backward compatibility for SD and costs no more than SD equipment did 10 years ago. It might be possible to find a used SD box but it would lack features and channels plus it's reliability, compatibility and suitability for future use would be questionable. So why bother?

Similarly, wiring for video is archaic and expensive compared to a BDU supplied remote STB or a cheap, supported media player or such as a Fire TV stick. A good quality 50' HDMI cable alone costs about $50 and that doesn't include the cost of installation and extra equipment such as an HDMI splitter and additional issues such as a remote control extender. It may even affect the resale value of your home. Cheap wireless HDMI repeaters are often unreliable and good ones are expensive so trying to extend HDMI that way is also a questionable exercise compared to using a supported wireless device.

#9 ·
We're in 2018 and Rogers Cablesystems issued a DTA50 Set Top Box to my parents which has a Coaxial RF Analogue output, its clearly a Standard Definition device and we're in 2018 so yeah either Rogers is behind or they still have plenty of standard definition devices available. since its available, why not utilize it?

#10 ·
I stand corrected on the availability. The information I have is that the DTA50 is an adapter designed for NTSC 4:3 TVs. If you want to live with missing channels, bad picture quality, lack of modern features and letterboxed or cropped programming then go for it.

#11 ·
so let's just wait for the original poster to get back to this post before we jump to conclusions for him or her. A lot of GREAT ideas were given here, but its ultimately up to the OP to decide what he or she wants to do to extend video to multiple TV sets on a budget. he or she MAY agree with the expensive solution or may agree with the cheaper solution, we do not know at this time and its best not to jump to conclusions until the op replies, the op may not even reply and may never come on here again but at least we answered the question truthfully and honestly.

#13 ·
I used products by ZeeVee to distribute HD signals from HDMI to many (over 200 in some instances) TV's via a Coaxial network, so setting one up for a single STB would be pretty easy.

Certainly aimed at the Pro Market is this one that can handle 2 different HDMI Inputs, so you could get a second STB tuned to 1 channel permanently for example and distribute both via RF on Coax;

https://www.zeevee.com/products/av-over-rf/zvpro-series/zvpro800/

There will be older models or ones with RGB Inputs available for less money, that will work just as well.

Using good quality RG6, distances of 1000 feet would be easily achievable without amplification, depending on splitters etc being used.

#15 ·
I've heard of the ZeeVee, its a great idea, but it also costs approx CDN$ 1,964.75 on some online marketplaces. that is a lot of money to spend to distribute an hdmi signal over coax to multiple tvs. is the op willing to spend that much? we dont know, only the op knows.

#17 ·
I agree that wired is not the best way to go even though the OP seemed to want that. I'm not sure that wireless HDMI is the best option either. They are all relatively expensive and close to obsolete. Most IPTV services are offering almost full TV service options for Apple TV and/or relatively inexpensive Android TV sticks. Since the OP only wants the skinny TV package, there are several choices of IPTV companies offering cheap plans with support for cheap Android TV hardware.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry to temporarily abandon the thread.
I am in rural SW Ontario, and tried OTA but could only get a few decent channels. When Hay Communications started running fibre we jumped on for internet. It is SO fast and the price is right. They initially did not offer a skinny cable package but do now, so we have that bundled in as well. It’s fine for us, CBC, ctv, city, global, tvo plus some extra’s for $20 a month. A stb is $5 a month. We also use netflix.
In my pro audio business a wired connection is always preferred over a wireless connection for stability, but it seems it may be worth it to try the wireless hdmi. Will do some due diligence.

#20 ·
I checked your provider, and they have 2 different cable boxes, the one for $5.99 a month is the basic one with only an hdmi out, the more expensive stb is $10.99 a month and is a full fledged pvr with not just hdmi out but also has hd component outputs which you can easily split and re-distribute over a hardwired RJ45 cable to other rooms in your house. We sometimes run rj45 wires and terminate rca connectors on the end pairs which is easier than running an end to end component cables which can be bulky. simple solution to send one signal to multiple tvs and will cost you very little.. also you should consider owning the set top box instead of renting if you are hoping to keep it long term.

#24 ·
I’ve been reading up on the hdmi to cat5 converters. This looks like it may be ideal. I’d still need an hdmi splitter, but once split I could use these adaptors, run cat5 to each tv and adapt back to hdmi. The length of the longest run will be about 75’ which will be doable.
Anyone have experience with these? Recommendations for brands?
Cheers.

#25 ·
Those are HiDef Component Video (RGB+L/R) to/from CAT-5/6 Cable Adapters [they claim 200-ft Max]. So instead of HDMI Splitter, you would need a Multi-Port C-V Splitter/Amplifier for the C-V Output on Cable Box, such as fol. 1-In to 4-Out, which includes L/R RCA Audio Jacks:
https://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter/dp/B00CAIBQ9E

BTW: Most CAT-5/6 Cables are Unshielded.....I would recommend you use SHIELDED Cables.

#26 ·
Using a component video to CAT6 adapter assumes that the cable box has component video out. Many of the newer ones do not and are unlikely to in future. That makes a component video to CAT6 adapter a very bad investment. Everything else being equal, an HDMI solution is a much better option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.