One STB to several TV's - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-06, 08:06 PM
Veteran

I cited TWO different WIRELESS Systems that would solve his problem for less than $300....and NO pricey Active HDMI Cables that would SOMEHOW need to be "installed" to remote TV's....whatzamatter with youze guyzzz????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-06, 10:34 PM
Veteran

I agree that wired is not the best way to go even though the OP seemed to want that. I'm not sure that wireless HDMI is the best option either. They are all relatively expensive and close to obsolete. Most IPTV services are offering almost full TV service options for Apple TV and/or relatively inexpensive Android TV sticks. Since the OP only wants the skinny TV package, there are several choices of IPTV companies offering cheap plans with support for cheap Android TV hardware.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-07, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
I've heard of the ZeeVee, its a great idea, but it also costs approx CDN$ 1,964.75 on some online marketplaces. that is a lot of money to spend to distribute an hdmi signal over coax to multiple tvs. is the op willing to spend that much? we dont know, only the op knows.
The model I quoted is the latest. There are many older models around, therefore much more affordable.

Some need RGB Inputs but all are very reliable from my experience and almost infinitely expandable.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-10, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry to temporarily abandon the thread.
I am in rural SW Ontario, and tried OTA but could only get a few decent channels. When Hay Communications started running fibre we jumped on for internet. It is SO fast and the price is right. They initially did not offer a skinny cable package but do now, so we have that bundled in as well. Its fine for us, CBC, ctv, city, global, tvo plus some extras for $20 a month. A stb is $5 a month. We also use netflix.
In my pro audio business a wired connection is always preferred over a wireless connection for stability, but it seems it may be worth it to try the wireless hdmi. Will do some due diligence.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-10, 10:23 PM
Veteran

I checked your provider, and they have 2 different cable boxes, the one for $5.99 a month is the basic one with only an hdmi out, the more expensive stb is $10.99 a month and is a full fledged pvr with not just hdmi out but also has hd component outputs which you can easily split and re-distribute over a hardwired RJ45 cable to other rooms in your house. We sometimes run rj45 wires and terminate rca connectors on the end pairs which is easier than running an end to end component cables which can be bulky. simple solution to send one signal to multiple tvs and will cost you very little.. also you should consider owning the set top box instead of renting if you are hoping to keep it long term.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-11, 09:45 AM

How do you connect the RJ 45 to the RCA component jacks on the TV set? Is there an adapter?

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33 dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-12, 09:54 AM
Veteran

you can macgyver your own adaptor, or you can buy a pre-made ballun. let me find a link for you: https://www.amazon.ca/Relper-Lineso-.../dp/B07874D1JL

Jorgek likes this.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-12, 11:56 AM

@Paolo
Thank you for the info. This is an excellent option!

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33 dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ive been reading up on the hdmi to cat5 converters. This looks like it may be ideal. Id still need an hdmi splitter, but once split I could use these adaptors, run cat5 to each tv and adapt back to hdmi. The length of the longest run will be about 75 which will be doable.
Anyone have experience with these? Recommendations for brands?
Cheers.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Those are HiDef Component Video (RGB+L/R) to/from CAT-5/6 Cable Adapters [they claim 200-ft Max]. So instead of HDMI Splitter, you would need a Multi-Port C-V Splitter/Amplifier for the C-V Output on Cable Box, such as fol. 1-In to 4-Out, which includes L/R RCA Audio Jacks:
https://www.amazon.com/Component-Vid.../dp/B00CAIBQ9E

BTW: Most CAT-5/6 Cables are Unshielded.....I would recommend you use SHIELDED Cables.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-19, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Using a component video to CAT6 adapter assumes that the cable box has component video out. Many of the newer ones do not and are unlikely to in future. That makes a component video to CAT6 adapter a very bad investment. Everything else being equal, an HDMI solution is a much better option.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-19, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, Id like to stick with my existing stb, which only has hdmi out. I would be looking at a splitter and then a few of the cat5 extenders. Anyone have experience with these that could recommend a brand?
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-19, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Another thought. The stb is sitting by our main tv. It is at one end of our house. The other 3 tvs I want to hook up are at the other end of the house and in relative close proximity to each other.....within about 40 of each other. But distance to rhe main tv is over 50.
Can I split the signal at the main tv, run a cat5 extender to the area of the other tvs, then use another hdmi splitter to send to the 3 tvs? In other words, can the splitters be cascaded?
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-20, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Don't know if that would work. It would depend on the splitters and how they work at that distance. I would consider getting a second STB for the second group of TVs.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 2018-10-20, 01:39 PM

@BJ James it seems that you are going to a lot of trouble to watch the same channel on 4 different TVs. You would also have to go back to the main TV anytime you wanted to change the channel on the STB.
Norman_C likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in