HDMI to Optical SPDIF audio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

HDMI to Optical SPDIF audio

Hello:

Just changed from Rogers legacy to Ignite (a story in itself, but I won't go off topic). Only output available on the Ignite receivers is HDMI out. My surround receiver does not have HDMI in - only optical SPDIF.

I bought a HDMI to optical SPDIF audio extractor from Amazon (Neoteck), but the results were mediocre. Even though this device had a pass through setting on it, native audio did not hit the receiver.

Anyone have experience with splitting out native audio from HDMI to a toslink connection? Recommendations for such a device!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 11:44 AM

Does your TV have an optical audio out? Be aware that some TVs only output stereo when the source is HDMI.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 11:50 AM
Veteran

The Monoprice HDMI Audio Converter should work.

The following from the switch description may explain the issue.
Quote:
The converter supports all HDMI 3D video modes and high-definition, multichannel audio, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™. A switch on the back of the converter allows you to switch between two different audio modes. Mode A allows the capabilities of the display to be sent to the source device. In most cases, this limits the audio output to 2-channel PCM. Mode B allows the source device to output any available audio mode. This allows you to select advanced multichannel audio streams for playback on your home theater audio system.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...

Dr Dave - yes; TV does have optical out and works as required. However, TV and receiver are not close together. Would require cracking the ceiling and walls to hide the cable, which I would like to avoid.

Ex Dilbert - the switch in question had three settings: 2-channel stereo, 5.1 surround, and pass through. Experiment with 5.1 and pass - neither worked. I sent it back to Amazon.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-18, 07:27 PM
Veteran

One BIG problem with HDMI Interfaces is that the Destination Device (i.e. the HDTV) must REQUEST/Negotiate which type of Audio (& Video) it will accept from the SOURCE Device (i.e. your Cable Box). Since HDTV's only have 2 built-in Speakers, it will invariably request STEREO. So if you connect HDTV Optical OUT to AVR, you will only hear STEREO.

Since the HDMI SOURCE can only Output STEREO or DD5.1, we need to FOOL it into outputting DD5.1 to Optical, while providing STEREO to the HDTV. Although I have never had the need to try it, this apparently can be done with the fol. HDMI Optical Extractor):
https://www.amazon.com/DotStone-Extr.../dp/B01KYURMEW

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-09-18, 10:23 PM
Veteran

The two converters already discussed have circuitry to request DD5.1 or pass the TV format through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in