What do you think? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

What do you think?

Hello,

I've recently moved out of an apartment and to a house, cant believe how much I missed good sound.

Long story short, which one would be more upgradable; Future proof? and which one would be better today

They will be used for Sports, Music, Gaming, Movies. Sound Quality over Loud Bass

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10456309.aspx?

or

https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...8&sku=YHTB4830

Thanks and have a good weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 10:19 PM
Veteran

There is no such thing as future proof. Tech is evolving so fast that 5 years is unusually long for a piece of tech equipment to be considered current. Support for most devices is in the 2 to 5 year year range with 2 years being common. After 2 years, updates to support new services and protocols stop arriving. I have an internet radio that has been losing support for popular streaming services since it was less than two years old. Some equipment can be made to work for 5-10 years but it usually requires external devices to support newer features.

The best way to ensure upgradability is to buy separate components that have a wide variety of connection options. For A/V systems, that means purchasing separate amplifier and preamp components. They should support a wide variety of both analog and digital connections with a flexible array of inputs and outputs, including HDMI 2.1. Proprietary apps and connectors will become obsolete the fastest so they are not worth paying extra. Plan on using external boxes for apps and streaming in the long term, if not right away. The other option is to upgrade the main components every 2 to 5 years.

Avoid buying integrated systems as they often include components that are incompatible with other, separately purchased components. For example, integrated system speakers often don't work well with separately purchased amplifiers. It's best to assemble the system yourself using standard, separate components. I noticed that you have chosen a $999 price point for the entire system. That's not a bad price for a starter system but it's highly unlikely to provide exceptional scalability, upgradability or any protection from obsolescence. It will likely serve well for about 5 years. Beyond that is a bonus. I've never had anything but speakers last much more than 10 years with 5 to 10 years for electronics being more common. I occasionally hear about or see much older components but they are the exception and have usually been carefully repaired or restored.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey right on, I've been doing more reading. I'm leaning towards the Onkyo. I cant find much reviews for the Yamaha.

5 years would be great for the amplifier, in 5 years time who know whats sound systems will be like. It will all be wireless by then.

I dont think I can really go wrong with either choice, better then what I have now.... Nothing.... haha

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 11:17 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc247
... I've recently moved out of an apartment and to a house, cant believe how much I missed good sound.

Long story short, which one would be more upgradable; Future proof? and which one would be better today

They will be used for Sports, Music, Gaming, Movies. Sound Quality over Loud Bass ...
Personally, I'd start with a good 2.1 set-up and expand from there. Options include:
- Denon AVR-S730H from Gibby's for ~$400 (CAD);
- SVS SB12-NSD ($400 (USD) on amazon.com; free-shipped to a US mailbox); and
- a pair of good-quality, gently-used speakers* for ~$100 from canuckaudiomart.com; [yourcity] . kijiji . ca or used[yourcity].com.

One of these days see me drivin' 'round town
In my rockin' Rolls-Royce with the sunroof down
My bottle of booze, no summertime blues
Shoutin' out "Look at me!" in my rock 'n' roll voice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in