replace receiver with soundbar - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

replace receiver with soundbar

I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver which I think was manufactured before 2002 (I can't find any dates on the unit) that turns off immediately.
I disconnected everything but the power and same thing.
I've been thinking of downsizing my 5.1 system.
My speakers are not as old but ~8 years old.

1. How can I sell the speakers without being able to show they work?
Maybe I should give them away and sell the speaker wire.
The wire is thicker than the normal 14 gauge (the red/white wires are each 1/4").

2. I was thinking of buying a soundbar.
Do any of them have a headphone out jack?
I have wireless headphones that I use occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 02:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's a thread on soundbars. You may wish to read some of the later posts.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-...-polk-etc.html

A soundbar will not sound as good as a dedicated 5.1 receiver. If you have speakers in place, just replace the AVR? Any decent AVR will sound better than a soundbar unless you're spending thousands on the soundbar. Speakers should be fine. I'm using some that are 40 years old. Depends on the speaker quality obviously and if you're happy with the sound.

Here's an FAQ on AVR/soundbar features:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...-tvs-avrs.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

It comes down to money and space.
I could only afford a 2.1 receiver to replace it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 03:14 PM
Veteran

I agree. Provided they are good quality and haven't been overdriven or physically abused, 8 year old speakers should still be usable for many more years Speakers can be repaired since the components that wear out can often be replaced. Good quality 8 year old speakers are still very saleable and could be traded in at some audio stores.

Receivers are another issue. All receivers, including high end units, can deteriorate or fail after just 5 to 10 years. 15 years without repairs is good. Repair is an option but even very expensive receivers in working condition can be worth only a few hundred dollars after 15 years and cost as much to repair. The Yamaha RX-V1000 in working condition is worth about $100. In addition, advances in technology makes receivers become obsolete much more rapidly than speakers.

For the $500 to $2000 that a high quality soundbar would cost, there are a number of very good receivers available. Unless there are other factors driving the move to a soundbar, I would get a new receiver.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I could only afford a 2.1 receiver to replace it.
My experience is that 2.1 receivers tend to be overpriced and 5.1 receivers are available for comparable money. I would take a close look at Black Friday deals towards the end of the month.

Quote:
It comes down to money and space.
Sound bars can be a good choice but it will take some aggressive bargain hunting to find a good one at a low price. You are buying the speakers as well as the amplifier. Soundbars usually lack features taken for granted on full sized receivers. Cheap soundbars usually lack the most features and compensate for poor speaker quality with amplifier sound modifications. I found a discontinued model for about half price on Costco a few months ago. It is lacking in inputs but the only ones I required were optical audio in (from the TV) and bluetooth. I purchased it because the sound quality is rated above average. I would spend the time between now and the week of Black Friday to research as many models as possible and create a short list. Then I would look for a deal on one of the them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 03:37 PM
Veteran

The soundbar I purchased is similar to the top rated in the following article but is a lower priced model lacking an HDMI input. The Best Budget Soundbars
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking at soundbars and I like the Yamaha YAS-107 but it doesn't turn on and off if there is a toslink signal.
It also doesn't have any protection for the speakers if the volume is too loud.
I don't know if a toslink signal from a tv can even get strong enough to blow speakers.
I have always bought speakers that could never be blown. :-)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:45 PM
Veteran

I find the automatic power function on soundbars can be more of a nusance than a feature. It won't turn off with some devices, like cable receivers and turns off with others when I don't want it to. I turn off the automatic power feature and use a Harmony remote instead.

"Blowing" speakers is a lot less common than it once was. Input and output levels are standardized and most amplifiers or powered speakers won't get driven to damaging volumes with standard level inputs. That's not to say it can't happen but it's a lot less likely. Now if your sound bar volume goes up to 11 instead of 10, that could be an issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-01-28, 02:04 PM

I simplified my main tv audio setup by removing my AV receiver and the L-C-R speakers and large subwoofer from my living room in favour of a Samsung HW-MS650 3.0 sound bar - love the more zen-like space with the bar, the support for different types of digital inputs, Bluetooth support and expand ability with wireless rears and sub if desired. The Yammy receiver I have has been relegated to the man cave, where it’s now serving up my CD and vinyl audio sources...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in