true learning remote - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-11, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

true learning remote

I have a Logitech Harmony remote that apparently needs a PC to set it up so I've been looking for a true learning remote.

I googled for "learning remote" and found a Sony but the manual says:
>You may not be able to operate your non-Sony equipment with this remote control. This occurs when the device uses codes not provided for this remote.
I thought you could point your existing remotes at a learning remote and it would reproduce the signals, therefore working with anything.
Why do remotes have to use "codes"?
Is there a term for the kind of remote I want?

Last edited by bjlockie; 2017-02-11 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 01:01 AM

Here's the manual for the Sony RMVLZ620 Learning Remote. If you use the code or search method you can set up your device in a few seconds. If you have to use the learning method, you will have to teach the Sony remote each button individually using your original remote, which can be quite tedious. (see page 20)

https://docs.sony.com/release//RMVLZ620_FR.pdf
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 08:42 AM

What's a "learning Remote"? Is it some kind of Universal remote or something like that?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 08:45 AM

My daughter uses the Sony remote from her Blu Ray player to control her LG TV. The manual said the remote may not be able to operate non-Sony equipment but it worked for her TV.

Why is using a PC a problem to program your Harmony? Which model Harmony do you have? There's a big convenience and usability improvement from a learning remote to activity-based Harmony remotes.

Phil
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a Windows or Mac PC.
I have the H659.
The LCD doesn't work (at least I can't see anything but a horizontal line).

I was able to program the watch tv activity by using my work laptop.
It turns on my tv to the right input and turns on my receiver to the right input.
It does not turn on my STB (which sometimes needs more button presses with the original remote).
I was able to program the STB to power on/off with the record button.
That button only works when the activity is "on" so I have to remember to turn off the STB before I turn off the activity.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 01:58 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm guessing that the Harmony is not programmed properly - like the incorrect STB make/model number. Usually the provider and model number are available from a list of STBs. If it's a STB and not a PVR, then you can leave the STB on. The only time this is a complication is if it turns off in a power failure, etc and you'd have to turn it back on, using the STB remote, or walking up to the STB.

I suppose you could search the web for "programmable remote", but most do use "codes" so that you don't need to "learn" hundreds of buttons...

Many programmable remotes are not "activity based" though, so instead of being able to press one button for "watch TV" or "Watch a DVD", etc. You'd need to remember which inputs to switch to, you'd have to switch each device on/off separately. That's a real pain isn't it?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 02:42 PM

Further to what 57 says, it sounds like the stb isn't included in your watch TV activity like it should be.

Phil
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 04:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What's a "learning Remote"?
It is a remote that will learn and memorize codes from the original remote. As bjlockie said, Harmony remotes will do this but always require a computer connection to do so. Some remotes do this without a computer connection.

The URC MX500 remote was one of the best built learning remotes I ever owned. That has been replace by the MX-450 Complete Remote Control.

Other brands include One For All & Radio Shack brands made by Universal Electronics. Some, but not all, of their models did learn codes.

Searching for "Universal learning Remote Control" in popular etailer sites turns up a few cheap knockoffs.

Unfortunately, the remote control market has been largely taken over by Logitech Harmony. Some other manufacturers have discontinued their remote control offerings.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Some recent cable remotes may be learning.

If I were desparate, I would get an RCA or Philips learning remote from a retailer, or Amazon, if not a One For All.

The last universal remote I bought was an Acoustic Research ARRS05G, which is licensed from Audiovox (the current owner of Universal Electronics/One For All).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in