Splitting optic output to run two sets of speakers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-04-27, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Splitting optic output to run two sets of speakers

I have an LG TV with a LG sound bar. The sound bar uses Sound Sync (I think they call it) so I can control the sound level trough the TV (and see the volume level on screen). Works perfect..

But (always a but) my wife and I need different volume settings.. So, clever as I am, decided to purchase a optic line splitter.. that feeds into the sound bar (keeping the original setup) and to another gadget that converts optic to RCA and then that connects to a wireless head set.

So it works as expected with some strange twists. Mute for example mutes the sound bar but not the headphones.. which I find strange. I would have thought that a mute signal comes from the TV and mutes.. everything. Not so evidently. The other strange thing is that the sound bar has auto on and off.. so it still works that way after splitting.. Except.. every ~10 minutes (did not time it) there is something that activates the "turn on sound bar".. and then promptly turns it back off.... while the TV is off.

As I do not want this cycling on and off I ended up returning everything and will have to come up with something else... (a hearing aid for the wife..)

For what little it was worth..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-04-28, 08:58 PM
Veteran

That I get it right.. the audio is coming out, then into the splitter.. one to the sound bar and then one to the headset?

When you are hitting mute, its likely just muting the soundbar.. and not from the source itself.. so then not muting the headset?

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-04-28, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes you have it right.. split the optic audio signal, one side goes to the sound bar, the other to an adapter that converts optic to RCA. That RCA out then powers a wireless headphone. Mute.. mutes the sound bar but not the headphones.. The volume control on the TV.. does increase the volume of the headphone... slightly but the control on the headset can compensate both ways.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-04-28, 09:39 PM
Veteran

The muting issue can be resolved by programming the remote to use the TV volume instead of the sound bar volume. The volume control and mute will then function with both the headphones and sound bar. The sound bar volume and mute will also be functional by using its controls but adjusting the headphone volume will also affect the sound bar.

Don't know what's going on with the sound bar power cycling. I'd guess there is some spurious noise coming from one of the devices, maybe the optic to analog converter. If the sound bar and TV support HDMI ARC and CEC, that may work better.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-04-28, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.. but I have returned all the parts.. they were bought on spec.. that it would work and if not could be returned.
I posted this only because.. perhaps someone else wanted to try this.. and this was my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in