Dolby ATMOS - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 2016-12-22, 10:04 PM

The best part of that demo disc is the audio of a 747 at takeoff. I also have butt kickers and in ATMOS plus the butt kickers, the only thing missing is the smell of the kerosene as it flies above us!!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 2016-12-23, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Atmos is totally awesome. The first thing I look for now when I buy my BD's(4K & 2K) is if it has an Atmos soundtrack. It's gotten to the point that I now wait to watch Game Of Thrones on BD now as all the releases are Atmos encoded and what is not available in True Atmos I always use DSU.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 2018-11-08, 01:26 PM

Questions about upgrade to Dolby Atmos system

I just ordered a new receiver which supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X both. But I have some questions while the receiver is still on the way.

Currently I have 7.1 system. But new receiver supports Atmos 5.1.2, which means if I want to use Atmos, the two rear surround speakers will become useless. Do I need to buy Atmos speakers, or can I use the two rear speakers as Atmos speakers? Atmos speakers are so expensive. And my main speakers are JBL HLS820 which are tilted. The front side of speaker is little higher than the back. Even if I buy Atmos speakers and place them on top of the two main speakers, will it still sound great?

If I can use the current two rear surround speakers, but I have to mount them on the ceiling, right? I live at a rented apartment without tools to dig holes in ceiling. Is there any other way to do so? My surround speakers and center speakers are Klipsch Quiette III set.

Thanks.

Marantz NR-1608, LG 55UB9500 4K LED 3D TV, JBL HLS820, Klipsch Quintet III, Monster Cable THX subwoofer.

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 2018-11-08, 11:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@lunear , I've moved your post to this existing, albeit older, thread on the topic. Many of the questions you have were discussed here and I'm sure someone will have additional comments for you.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 2018-11-18, 03:13 PM

With either the 7.1 or the 5.1.2 setup you only have 7 channels driven from the amp, and that means if you are adding 2 ceiling speakers or 2 upfiring speakers you need to drop 2 speakers from the 7.1 setup.
A traditional 5.1 setup with 2 Atmos speakers is likely the best way to go.
Your receiver will have a 'height' option for speaker outputs and that is what you will use for wiring the two new Atmos speakers whether they are ceiling mounts or upfiring.
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 10:02 AM

The Atmos speakers are too expensive, so I just used the two rear surround speakers of klipsch Quintet III as upfiring speakers on top of the two main speakers. Klipsch Quintet III speakers are small but powerful, and they have base and can be tilted up. Now my system sounds much better. I played several BD movies with Atmos and DTS-X soundtracks. I can tell there is huge difference than my previous 7.1 system. Before I could tell the sound was from which speaker. But now I feel immersed in the sound field. The base is solid and the movement of sound is so clear. That's really amazing!

Marantz NR-1608, LG 55UB9500 4K LED 3D TV, JBL HLS820, Klipsch Quintet III, Monster Cable THX subwoofer.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 10:02 PM

If you can get a hold of the ATMOS Demo disk, the 747 take off is pretty spectacular. I also have butt kickers in my theatre so it really adds to the punch. 3D movies at my house are pretty good! LOL

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 2019-02-27, 03:10 PM
Rookie

Bell 4K PVR & Atmos?

Hi, I have a Bell Whole Home 4K PVR, a Vizio 2018 M Series TV and an Onkyo 575 (Atmos Enabled) AV Receiver. So far I havenít been able to get Dolby Atmos on Netflix on either the Netflix app on Bell or on the Netflix app on the TV. I know my system is capable as I played an Atmos demo video from a USB Drive and it played perfectly and the AVR display detected Dolby Atmos. However when I try and get Atmos through the app on either the Bell PVR or the TV app - no luck. Only standard 5.1. Does the Bell PVR have Atmos? Does anyone know if the Vizio TV can handle Atmos? Thanks for any help!
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 03:35 PM

Doubt you'll ever see ATMOS on Netflix, Bell PVR's are only 5.1 if I am not mistaken and as for your Vizio TV, you would have to check the specs for that model on their website.

post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Netflix does have Dolby Atmos on certain titles - https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

The trick is to have the right combination of gear to enable it. Apple 4K does for example (paired with a Dolby Atmos receiver) https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204069

But if you are getting your Netflix through Bell Fibe 4K PVR - I donít believe they support it.
Danster likes this.
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 2019-02-28, 04:12 PM

I think Atmos on Netflix is only available on Apple TV, Xbox one a few newer TVs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in