Dolby ATMOS - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
A "knock from a door behind us" is easily heard from any properly set up DD5.1 (6.1 or 7.1) system and doesn't require ATMOS.

The main benefit of ATMOS is to generate a "height" component to the audio.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...tup/index.html

For example, here's how to set up a 7.1.4 system (the last "4" refers to 4 ceiling speakers or upward-firing speakers.)

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html
Yes my system is a 5.1.2 system. I am totally aware of Atmos and how it works and how to set it up.

The Knock sounded like it came from outside my theatre. To go along with the sandstorm scene in that movie that enveloped all around us.

All I am saying is that DSU and Atmos is the best money I have spent on my Theatre since I built it. It is a game changer as far as Immersive sound is concerned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 10:08 PM
Veteran

But have you actually watched a BD with an Atmos soundtrack? If not then any 5.1 receiver would give you the same surround effect. Atmos is not a simulation effect like Dolby Pro Logic. It requires a soundtrack with dedicated Atmos height encoding to produce its effect. It does nothing to enhance standard soundtracks.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
But have you actually watched a BD with an Atmos soundtrack?
Yes I have!!

Transformers 4 is an Atmos BD and it is just ok as far as utilizing the Atmos channels.

DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer) is the simulation effect that comes with my Denon x4100 Receiver. This DSU is the game changer.

I now get to enjoy all my old BD's in DSU and man does it do a fantastic job of simulating Atmos.

The Atmos-Sphere in my theatre is nothing short of AWESOME.

I am actually watching Skyfall at this very minute and DSU has been doing a great job so far of simulating an Atmos track.

Last edited by 57; 2015-01-03 at 11:40 PM. Reason: QS

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 04:28 PM
Veteran

@jgourlie: All right. You are quite enthused with your DSU which simulates Atmos. Since it's from Denon I'm not surprised. However this forum is about Dolby Atmos. You don't seem too impressed with Atmos after watching Trans4. Maybe all we all really need is the DSU since you refer to it as the "game changer" not Atmos.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 04:37 PM

I just don't think that the sound engineers have really caught on with how to fully utilize Atmos.

It has only been out for a few months. I know the movie titles will get better as time goes on. One of the problems of being an early adopter I guess.

In the mean time DSU has allowed me to re-watch all my old bluray's over again and it's like I am seeing the movies again for the first time. I will be more excited about Atmos movie titles as they are released.

Until then DSU has me totally satisfied with my $$$$$ investment into Atmos

Last edited by 57; 2015-01-05 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
I'd wait but then I've never been an early adopter. In this case my reasons to wait and see are as follows

2. Does DTS have a similar technology in the works? I once had a receiver that could play Dolby Digital but not the DTS equivalent. It made almost every movie purchase a challenge. Never again.
Christmas Eve I purchased a new receiver and speakers but upon reading about the new DTS:X format. I returned the unopened boxes as I waited for CES before opening. DTS:X will need a hardware upgrade so I will wait till the fall when the new Onkyo receivers will be out.

DTS:X I suspect will be popular on BR as DTS is now.
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-11, 09:01 PM

Boodaddy I think you are really missing out.

You could be enjoying 3D Sound for the next year before DTS:X finally get's their act together and launches their product. They are so late to the game.

I am not sure how DTS:X will pan out as most of the cinematic releases are in Atmos, playing in Atmos theatres so I am not quite sure that Dts will catch on in BR because the movie was originally in Atmos.

Although it is of course a wait and see game at this point.

3D sound has really changed how I enjoy movies in my home theatre. It really is an amazing experience!

Last edited by 57; 2015-01-11 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 06:09 PM

I didn't see too many Atmos releases coming and I also returned a TV (again waiting for CES). After ordering the Onkyo 838 I realized I could not expand my home theatre with this product and needed the 1030. Once reading about DTS:X and confirming with Onkyo it would not be a firmware update for DTS:X I figured it would be good to let the dust settle till the 1030 successor appears and I can properly add to the HT.
The experience is what I am after. Now I can wait till the specs come out and plan properly instead of on Christmas Eve.
jgourlie, glad you are enjoying the 3D sound. That is what I want.
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 09:45 PM
Veteran

@boodaddy: You are doing the right thing by waiting. Around 2001 I jumped at a Dolby Digital only 5.1 receiver. It worked fine of course but within a half year DTS began to appear and to my dismay movie after movie came out with a DTS track which I couldn't play as well as a DD track. Before long some films were carrying only DTS and to add insult to injury it was DTS not DD that became the soundtrack of choice for most home theatre enthusiasts. I had to wait until 2005 before buying a receiver capable of playing DTS. I made sure in 2011 when I went to lossless sound that my receiver could -play both Dolby True HD and DTS-MA. As for ATMOS, I'm on the fence. I'm not sure I want to add any more speakers to my system. There's also the WAF to consider.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-13, 01:11 PM

Yes, DTS is just to popular.
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-13, 11:53 PM

I just finished watching TMNT in Dolby Atmos this evening and I wanted to give a report. Not only was it a better movie then Transformers but the Atmos sound bed was very impressive in this movie. I think some people believe that the main benefit is the added height of the sound, But I feel that Atmos adds something a little different on top of the height feature.

Atmos has the ability to add specific sounds to the mix. It may be hard to explain clearly, but for example the villain would throw knives and you could follow the knife around the room up/down/side to side. I think this is where Atmos really shines. Yes the sounds going above your head is cool. But to me it's the discrete sounds travelling across the room that truly impresses me. I don't want you to think that it's just going speaker to speaker, that's not how it sounds, it's like the object is actually travelling through space inside my theatre.

Very Very cool.

Like I said earlier. This is a game changer for home cinema!!
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-14, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback. Next year when I upgrade my receiver, atmos will be on the top of the list features. The other feature I would definitely consider is airplay. It is so easy to connect your Apple devices wireless with your avr.

post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-15, 06:28 PM

jgourlie, sounds like Atmos will become better as it is utilized in more films.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-01-17, 11:25 AM

I definitely think that Atmos will get better as it is incorporated in more films.

But I guess the part that I like most is that you don't even really need an Atmos movie because of DSU as I have said before. That is the benefit of purchasing an Atmos enabled receiver is that you get DSU included.

Last night was another great example. My wife and I were watching "The Hundred Foot Journey" and at one point of the movie there was faint rain outside of the restaurant the characters were in. I looked at my wife and said It's raining outside, fully believing that it was raining on my home, not in the movie. Then within a few seconds the characters went outside and it was pouring rain.

For a few seconds I felt dumb, then I just smiled and said to myself DSU in my Atmos enabled receiver you got me again!!
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 2015-03-17, 05:23 PM
Rookie

jgourlie, how high is your ceiling? Are you using 2 or 4 of the 410s? How is your Amp Assign set up?

I have the same setup as you; Denon 4100 and Onkyo 410 atmos to accompany my Pioneer surround speakers. My setup is in a basement recroom with 7' 2" ceiling. I'm having a hard time getting the full effect.
> on top of my front L/R towers (~ 12' from my seating position), I hear nothing above me even after I raise the gains.
> I put them on the floor beside the mains. Now I hear it a little, but I also hear directly from the speakers as well.
> I raise them to just about my ear level. I hear less above me but nothing directly from the speaker.
> I bring them closer to me. I hear more above me. Still nothing directly from them.
> Closer still and I hear from them directly.
> The sweet spot seems to be 4 feet closer to me and just above my ear level.

I'm close to buying some cheap ceiling or outdoor (can be ceiling hung) to try instead.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-03-17 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in