Front LRC Speaker Recommendation - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Smile Front LRC Speaker Recommendation

Hi Folks,

I haven't been keeping up with home theatre news lately as I completed my home theatres a few years back, and was spending time enjoying them and raising a couple of young kids.

We are now moving to a new house. So I am looking for front speaker suggestions, as I'm not in the know anymore. I've started my online research, but wanted to compliment it with what the folks on forums offered up.

I don't have a set budget per se, but at the same time, I'm also not a wealthy man. I guess I'd be comfortable spending up to say $700 dollars a piece (so $2100 for all three), but at the same time, I like getting the best bang for my buck, so would be much happier spending less. Anyway, I don't have a set budget, so could spend more than that too, if there's something considerably better available for a little more.

The one criterion I must meet is that the speakers must be aesthetically pleasing, as my wife is spending considerable effort decorating and renovating the new family room, where this setup is going. So, I'm looking for either wall mounted or in wall speakers. Most likely leaning towards one of the wall mounted "lifestyle" speakers, as I think they are a good compromise between in wall and actual floor standing units.

My current setups consist of the Paradigm Cinema Series line in the family room, and the PSB Image Series line of speakers in my basement theatre. I can't use any of them in the new setup due again to the aesthetic factor (I have the older Cinema series which are the boxy type).

Anyway, I'd like my new speakers to at least be in the same class as the Image Series sonically, but hopefully better.

Finally, the subwoofers will be 2 PSB Subseries 5i units, the surrounds and rears will be in-wall units that I will purchase, likely from the same manufacturer as the fronts, but I suppose that doesn't make much of a difference. I am also currently looking at receivers, and will purchase an appropriately powered receiver, likely with Audyssey XT32 and SubEQ.

So, thanks in advance for any suggestions. I find researching and auditioning specific speakers to be easy and fun, but it's harder to actually start from scratch with no particular speakers in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Checkout the paradigm AMS LCR in-walls. Paired with a decent sub (say the Monitor Sub 10). These sound excellent and have a high WAF. You should purchase all of your speakers from the same manufacturer!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can audition them. Believe it or not, I actually already have a Monitor 10 sub, as I use it with my Paradigm cinema set. I'm actually thinking of using the dual PSB Subseries 500i units though, as I will get a receiver with Audyssey SubEQ and XT32 for room correction of the dual subs. Or, I could also use the SVS ASEQ1 unit that I have right now to achieve the same result. I agree with sticking to the same manufacturer (and series) for the front LCR channels to match timbre across the front soundstage. I actually like doing the same with surrounds and rears too. Not as concerned with matching the sub though, and I figure that I already have the PSBs, and prefer a two sub setup, so may as well put them to use.

Anyway, thanks once again. I'm also considering the Paradigm Millenia 20 or 30 on walls. And the PSB Imagine W1 speakers. But haven't heard any of them myself yet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 09:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtor
I like getting the best bang for my buck, so would be much happier spending less
The first thing I'll point out is that the audio industry (especially speakers) are very high margin products. The MSRP is frequently five to ten times what the parts are worth.

When you're buying some expensive speakers, what are you paying for?

You're not paying for better technology. Speaker technology hasn't changed much at all in the past 50 years. To put it another way, computer technology has improved more in the past one year that speaker tech has improved in the last 50.

You're not paying for higher quality parts, since the more expensive the speakers, the cost of the parts make up a smaller and smaller percentage of the MSRP.

So, what is a smart consumer to do?

Well, I ended up buying my speakers from Monoprice. They sound amazing, and I got a lot of product for my money. For less than your budget, I was able to do a 5.1 setup and also put audio speakers all over the house, including the cost of cables. As always, I encourage you to read product reviews before purchasing. Take a look at Monoprice product ID 7604 for the fronts, and 6317 for the center channel.

Total cost: $88.35 + $37.10 + shipping/taxes/duty/brokerage fees.

While you're at it, I also recommend Monoprice as a great source for in-wall cables.

Of course, if you're totally sold on expensive speakers, I'd like to sell you some Monster Cable to go with them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Hehe...thanks for that advice as well. I'm very familar with Monoprice and have been purchasing cabling, display mounts, etc. from them for the last 5 years or so. Love the quality I get for the price. And my experience has been great in terms of timely receipt of said products.

I have to admit though that I wasn't aware of their speaker offerings. I will definitely look into them. I haven't visited their site after reading your message yet, but that price seems ridiculously good. Unbelieveable almost....I will definitely be looking into them and reading up about them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 10:35 PM

If you want to stick with on-wall, you may want to check out EMP Tek on-wall series. They are a Utah based internet direct outfit that has gotten a lot of favourable buzz.

They have become known for excellent performers at low prices.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Never heard of them, so thank you very much! I'll be checking them out as well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 11:03 AM

For me, the right balance was in the DefTech Mythos line of on-walls. I have 2x Mythos Two as my L/R, Mythos Three as my C and 2x Mythos Gem XL as my LS/RS. I got the Two/Three on crazy sale for ~$200/ea and the Gem XLs as a set on eBay for ~$550, all within the last year. Today, you'd be hard-pressed to find the 2/3s except on eBay so I would heartily recommend the Mythos Nine as your L/C/R, although they are slightly above your budget at ~$830/ea. If you are fine with eBay, I would go with unopened Mythos Eight as your L/C/R which I have seen for ~$450-500.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Yup, thanks for the advice...the Mythos line are also on my short list based on a recommendation from a work colleague....I'm looking to audition them shortly, after my move is done over the next two days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 04:34 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Axiom make some quality speakers and they have a selection of on-wall and in-wall speakers.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-on-wall-speakers

In order to improve bass performance, a portion of the "on-wall" may actually be "in-wall" to provide more depth.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 57. I'm familiar with the Axiom line from reading about them over the years, and would be interested in them if I could arrange to hear them beforehand. I know in the past that would have been up to me....does anyone know if that has changed? Meaning do they have facilities or any dealers available for demonstrations?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in