Monster Power Centers - How much is enough?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Monster Power Centers - How much is enough??

I'm buying a Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD RPTV. The guy at Best Buy suggests I buy one of these humongous power centers that are around $279 that you plug everything you own into it! He had it hooked up to some measuring device to show that normal electrical current has so much noise in it, that your picture and sound will be lousy unless you have one of these power centers to suppress all that. How overboard does one have to go with one of these? I see that have one for around $80 that you can plug your main components into, i.e. TV, DVD, receiver, cable box, VCR, and sub.

What do you guys think? I don't have thousands of dollars in components. The TV will be the expensive item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 02:21 PM

I would suggest hooking up your TV and trying it first. If you find you have issues do some research and find a filter that will work for you. Monster stuff is ok, but the consensus is that it's generally over priced. Hence the reason places like FS and BB push it (awsome markup for them).

I doubt you'll find you have any power issues. A standard surge protector is about the only thing you may want to hook up.

Panamax makes some nice filters/surge suppressors as well if you decide you need one.

Skippy31
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 04:35 PM

I would reccomend having a look at the Belkin Home Theatre Surge Protector. It's being sold at $159.99 at Compusmart. I just picked one up today.

The best thing about this particular surge protector is that it isolates every plug from every other one. Mon$ter does not offer this until you get to their products that are above $300 or so. The Belkin one also does filtration/power conditioning as well, so you're supposed to get "cleaner" power running to your equipment.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 06:01 PM
Premium Supporter

I got my Monster PowerCenter AV800 from Future Shop for about $80 a year and a half ago and I've had no problems with it. It has plenty of outlets and a Joule rating that is more than adequate. No issues with noisy or dirty current either.

See also this older thread on the same topic.

Last edited by eljay; 2004-11-26 at 06:07 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass
What do you guys think? I don't have thousands of dollars in components. The TV will be the expensive item.
I'll add my voice to the chorus. Panamax makes a perfectly acceptable surge suppressor, and you can buy one online from a Canadian source in CDN$ for $60.00, IIRC. PM me for details.

The one thing that will cause me to give you different advice is if you add high-end audio gear and your AC power is an issue. Then we're talkin' Chang Lightspeed products.

J.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-26, 09:01 PM

I will add another Panamax endorsement as well.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-28, 04:55 PM

I have the cheapest Level 1 Monster one... it's fine as a surge bar, but I don't notice squat for "cleaning the electricity"

Air cleaner in the living room will still make the speakers pop/crackle when turned on or off.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-11-29, 01:08 PM

Another vote for Panamax. I have my entire HT hooked up to my MAX 5100. My local A/V store also told me that Panamax has dropped prices on all their models. Now may be the time to check it out.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-11, 08:06 PM

Arrow

Tripp Lite stuff is a little harder to find but is much better quality for the price. I use one of these.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-11, 08:10 PM

You can get an RCA one that does everything the Monster one does for about 1 sixth of the price.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-11, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle
You can get an RCA one that does everything the Monster one does for about 1 sixth of the price.
NOT even in the same class.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-11, 11:25 PM

Tripp Lite hands down, cheaper than Monster without the frills... and better.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-12, 05:39 AM

I think one of the questions was how overboard one can go? Well...

My general opinion of the Monster products I've tried is they veil the sound I hear and are not good value.

I also like the Panamax stuff but prefer some of the products from PS Audio (http://www.psaudio.com/power.asp). It all started with an Ultimate Outlet I had on loan for a period of time and I swore it improved the picture I was seeing. Questioning my unbiased judgement I took it over to my parents place and quietly hooked it up and stashed it out of view. My dad, who isn't nitpicky at all said the picture looked better and asked me if I'd tweaked the TV or upgraded one of his cables again.

All that said, unless the budget is there only a good surge suppressor is really a necessity.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-12, 11:16 AM

"NOT even in the same class."

you must work at future shop.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 2004-12-12, 12:24 PM

Another vote for Panamax here. I was not aware of psaudio's product. Looks interesting. Is it sold in Canada or do I have to order it in from our good neighbors to the south.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper."Ben Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in