What are Telus iphone fees without contract? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question What are Telus iphone fees without contract?

Hi. My Telus contract is up in a month and I'm looking at the iPhone 5. I keep reading that over time, it saves money to buy the phone up front rather than commit to a contract, which makes sense. I can afford to fork out $800+ for the device. What I can't tell is how much I'd pay Telus for service in that case. Their site is a maze, their terms confusing, and if they have a big incentive to get me on a plan, I don't know that I would trust a phone rep to give me the best answer.

Can someone here help me? I have been paying $50/month for the iPhone 50 plan: up to 500MB data plus 200 local anytime minutes, both more than enough. I don't text and almost never make long distance calls. However I do often go to the US and then I get the US data and voice passes for the visit; those months my bill is around $90-$140 with the pass and roaming fees. If I buy an iPhone 5 outright what would I be paying Telus to get the same service? (Switching to another carrier is not an option because only Telus has a decent signal at my home.) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 11:07 AM

You'll be paying the exact same. Telus doesn't discount plans for people who bring their own devices.

You might want to check Koodo. They're owned by Telus, so they should have the same signal in your home, and they tend to have cheaper plans. Otherwise, Bell and Virgin also share a network with Telus, so you might find something more attractive there.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 11:17 AM

If you want to buy the phone upfront

You're better off going to the Apple Store and buying an unlocked phone that you can put on any of the compatible carriers on a month to month or pay as you go plan.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I'm missing anything, but according to https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html the equivalent iphone plan is $65 yet I am paying $50 with Telus.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 01:31 PM

If I buy an unlocked phone from Apple, how do I use it in place of the phone I have now? Meaning, if the phone comes with the new smaller SIM what do I do in order to activate it on my account?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 03:20 PM
Veteran

I've read that at the time of the purchase of the unlocked iPhone from the Apple store they give you a free SIM card from the provider of your preference. You then only need to activate that SIM card on your number over the phone or online. At least that's how I hear it was with the 4 and 4S.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 05:07 PM
Veteran

For the iPhone 4 and IPhone 4S, if you purchased unlocked from apple. You still had to get the sim from your provider. I purchased an iPhone 4 and 4S, both unlocked. Had to go to Telus to get my sim. Apple will give you a sim of you sign a contract with one of the providers. Curious if it will wok the same way iPhone 5
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 11:26 AM
Veteran

I can't find the exact posts, probably they were from elsewhere, but people claimed that salesreps asked them if they wanted any SIM card with the unlocked phone. And even in cases where they didn't offer, those customers who asked, were given.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 09:59 PM

A friend bought a iPhone outright from the Apple Store and then got it activated on a pay as you go Bell plan. He just pays 20$ per month, no txt or data.

Now it all depends on how much you use the phone.

I will probably do something similar when my plan is up next year. With a small txt plan and a little data (lots of Wi-Fi around) I hope to get it cheaper than a subsidized plan and phone.

So depending on your minutes requirement etc this might be an option to consider.

Bob
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Why not an ipod touch then?
:-)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

Tags
contract , iphone , plans , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in