Telus increases wireless coverage and capacity in Manitoba - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Telus increases wireless coverage and capacity in Manitoba

Telus announced yesterday that it has expanded its 4G wireless coverage and capacity in Manitoba thanks to new cell towers and upgrades to 42 existing sites.

The increased coverage comes from new towers in Oakbank and Dugald which will deliver coverage along Highways 1, 7 and 75.

Telus says this represents a 15 per cent increase in 4G wireless coverage in the province since launching back in February. By the end of 2011, the company expects to extend its coverage around the Victoria Beach area and Steinbach.

Upgrades to existing wireless sites will increase capacity in and around Winnipeg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 09:57 PM

LOL @ "a 15% increase"! 15% of almost non-existent coverage isn't all that substantial. Although any increase in coverage is always a positive thing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 12:15 AM
Rookie

I don't know about the rest of you but I have horrific coverage still. I am a
nine year Telus customer. I just was camping in both birds hill(last week) and Falcon Lake(got back today) and nothing "emergency calls only" right up to Deacon's corner. I called Telus just 20 minutes ago and they said still no coverage outside of Winnipeg. I was in downtown Selkirk 2 hours ago and "emergency calls only". They said there is nothing coming soon as for coverage. I am disgusted at this since when I bought my phone a couple months ago (LG Shine CDMA phone) from Telus directly online, they said data wouldn't be good outside city but coverage would still be ok to make and recieve calls which I was fine with but I can't even make a phone call in Birds Hill park or Selkirk. Since the phone is past 14 days, I am stuck till the end of my contract or until they build their network. DON'T GET A TELUS PHONE IN MANITOBA UNTIL THEIR NETWORK IS COMPLETE OR IF YOU DO, GO FOR A DRIVE IMMEDIATELY AFTER BUYING TO TEST YOUR COVERAGE.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Is the LG Shine really a CDMA phone, or is it on their HSPA network? If it's the one on their website it's likely HSPA, and the coverage map for Manitoba shows Selkirk and north on 59 as having coverage by summer 2012.

I renewed recently with an HSPA phone, only because I have a good plan (Supertalk 15). If I didn't, I would dump Telus unless they really sweetened the pot.. as their Winnipeg plans with unlimited local talk are still not very good, in my opinion as they don't even include CID.

It seems they don't update their coverage map dynamically for Manitoba, if you check their website and choose Sask or Ontario for coverage, you get a dynamic map you can drag around and zoom in to see the coverage areas in Manitoba.. this seems to be updated and accurate even before their official Dugald/Oakbank tower announcement.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Yes it is HSPA and your reason is also the reason for me staying. My plan. I have super talk 10 plus data lite 10 (LG shine plus google is not considered a smartphone eventhough it does nearly everything that a smartphone does) so I get 200 anytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, 200 text msgs, voicemail 3, 100mb of data all for $20. I also got a rebate on call display for $3. So my monthly bill is $23 plus service fees. If they do install their additional towers I should be fine for my most needed locations by the end of 2011.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 02:34 PM
Rookie

One thing I forgot to mention.. if you happen to go out of town to Falcon or anywhere they don't cover, you can switch back to use your old CMDA phone if you still have it, for free on their website. You can do this as many times as you want, and was a key factor in why I stayed with Telus.

Just click the "change your phone" link from your online account, and you can switch it immediately, and then just switch back when you're back in the city. Note that it costs $25 if you call in to have a Telus rep do it for you, so make sure you do it online.

Tags
manitoba , mobility , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in