Telus data access in Manitoba - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-28, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Telus data access in Manitoba

Does anyone know if the new system that Telus is rolling out will allow some kind of data access in Manitoba outside of Winnipeg? From what I understand, Bell has the data roaming agreement with MTS leaving Telus customers out in the cold. Will the new system be compatible with, say, Rogers and allow new Telus devices to access data if the two providers can make an agreement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-28, 05:04 PM

MTS announced its HSPA construction plans in July which will cover the majority of the population in MB by the end of 2010 and will cover the existing CDMA footprint when complete (97% of pop.) They also announced a roaming agreement with Rogers which I believe is not exclusive, so Bell and Telus may be able to negotiate roaming.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

I'm of the understanding that Bell has negotiated full roaming agreements with MTS in Manitoba and Telus in AB and BC. Telus refuses data access to MTS phones out west and MTS does the same to Telus phones here in retaliation.

I only ask because I'm involved at my job in trying to get some new field equipment to work in Manitoba. The brain trust at head office out west assumed that Telus is a truly national carrier and negotiated for them to provide all of the field data services. Unfortunately, none of the units outside of Winnipeg will work in Manitoba and because there are dedicated servers involved that are tied into Telus' systems, we can't just put new wireless cards from another carrier into the field units.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-31, 12:31 PM

HoogerJeff, you are referring to CDMA Coverage, which indeed is a mess of roaming agreements. The new HSPA that MTS plans to build may not end up being the same.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-01, 12:02 PM

HoggerJeff, if what you say is true about Telus' refusal to enter into a roaming agreement, then it is unlikely that MTS would provide data services to them now that MTS has a roaming agreement with Rogers for HSPA. I doubt that Rogers and Telus would do a deal and I don't know if Rogers could legally do that with the MTS portion of the network. MTS may have retained third-party roaming rights for their portion of the network.

Since Telus and Bell share the same network, you can check out this page for Bell's future HSPA coverage. It looks they plan to expand to Brandon, north on 59 to Victoria Beach and southeast to St. Anne.

http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvWls_Cvg_Travel.page

If the locations you need to service are outside those areas, you may be out of luck for the near future. I'm surprised that the "brain trust at head office" committed to a sole-source contract without at least confirming that the provider could service the locations or identifying contingency plans.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-01, 04:54 PM

Exclamation

When I recently complained (for the zillionth time) about lack of data service outside of the perimeter highway, I was told that Telus was in discussion with MTS and they 'hoped' they would have a deal by sometime this coming spring.

Telus then discounted my data plan by 50% for six months and said to contact them again near the end of that time frame.

BTW, I also have a stupid problem which they have been unable to diagnose: when in the Gimli area, my Telus HTC Diamond phone will ring and the ID of the calling party shows on the screen. However, I cannot answer the call - nothing I do on my phone will pickup the call or stop the ringing. I have to remove the battery. I am able to call out just fine. This only happens in Gimli.

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since Telus and Bell share the same network, you can check out this page for Bell's future HSPA coverage. It looks they plan to expand to Brandon, north on 59 to Victoria Beach and southeast to St. Anne.
Dave - the first thing we thought of doing locally was replacing the Telus EVDO cards in the work devices with Bell cards. We use laptops in the field as well and the Bell cards work great for us. The problem is that the field devices we are implementing use a proprietary data format that requires a dedicated server to receive, decode and forward to our corporate servers. This dedicated server is set up with Telus, so the Bell EVDO cards won't do us any good. The data stream has to go to Telus before it comes back to us for processing.

This is what happens when the lowest bid is considered the best bid.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 03:20 PM

I was talking about Telus and Bell sharing the HSPA network. Doesn't each carrier function in "native" mode on that network rather than roaming? I can see EVDO not working since that is nothing more than a roaming agreement.

Have you tried kicking the problem back to head office or Telus? After all, those are the 2 parties responsible for signing a contract that doesn't provide for data access where needed. You may also get a firm answer and date re: the first paragraph.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I was told that Telus was in discussion with MTS and they 'hoped' they would have a deal by sometime this coming spring.
Don't hold your breath. They've been telling people that data would return Real Soon, for three years.

I signed a three-year contract with Telus in November 2006, for a PDA/Smartphone. The big selling feature was the ability to browse the web and use my email on the Telus network while travelling around the province. MTS was never mentioned.

It worked great. (Well, except here at home, exactly half-way between two towers. Even voice here is unusable.)

A couple weeks later the data stopped working, and I found out that Telus was using MTS towers.

I was forced to keep paying for an essentially bricked device for three years. Telus pointed out that under the contract, the service is subject to change. Apparently "disappearing altogether" is one such change.

Tags
data , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in