Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-07-30, 08:55 AM

A little iphone humour considering the rate situation.

http://www.eatmyshorts.net/videos/33...+Broke%3F.html

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 04:13 PM

2.01 IPhone Update

So I took the initiative and udpated to 2.01. My Iphone crashed during update so I put it in recovery mode and tried again. This time it worked. Yippee. Well almost at first glance I though oh wow they have added more pages for applications but I was sadly mistaking 2 pages of applications just vanished. (several paid ones have not quite got a handle on what was there versus missing). OK into ipod Where have all my songs gone, where have all my videos digital books gone...

Gone off searching and rebuilding. Brings back memories of the days I used to use a treo..

I think it will be a while before enterprises swap out the blackberries for iphones cause the Rims actually work and don't lock up or reboot in the middle of a call.
post #48 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 06:17 PM

LOL it reminds me of my Treo also. But, Ive put up with such bugs for so long that it doenst faze me much. I can see how newbs to such devices will have problems though. Allowing 3rd party apps results in software conflicts, there is really no way around it.

post #49 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-10, 12:58 AM

2.01 seemed to fix the slow scrolling speed which browsing contacts for me.
post #50 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-10, 09:55 PM

I install it to my IPod today did not see any change, the update when well.

ExpressVu, 9200 & 5900, Hitachi 51F510, Marantz SR5200
post #51 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 07:59 AM
Veteran

picked up a pair of iphone's yesterday in Orangeville ON...

On the whole, I am reasonably impressed, but I've had an iPod touch for over a year so the wow factor is long since gone.

One thing I really notice is that the memory leaks requiring reboot are far more frequent on the iPhone...at least daily. That needs to me fixed!

Other than that, the 3G network is great and the EDGE network is painfully slow.
post #52 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 01:49 PM

Indeed, I'm a very very heavy apps user on the phone (no, not just games. :P ) and i've noticed the phone needs to be rebooted AT LEAST daily in order to clear the memory. Otherwise it starts crashing apps almost as soon as you launch them.

Very dissapointing, but I guess it's to be expecting with third party apps.

BTW - Those of you waiting for the White phones, pretty much every store now has a huge stock of them now, they started getting large shipments of them this week (I think due to the cracking issues being fixed).
post #53 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-17, 08:28 AM

REBOOT DAILY

I wish it was that easy I find I have to reinstall daily. The backup corrupts the backup so you end up restoring a corrupt backup so then you end up having to put into recovery mode and start the whole process again.

I have installed the max number of apps as well and this is frustrating now everytime I download an app I first have to pick what one of the 3 flashlight apps cow bell/mooing apps or US location guides that don't have resturants or movies in Canada I have to delete first.

Today it is not a worry as most apps are junk but 148 apps needs to be fixed and a select restore from backup list (ie Tuesday) needs to be added. Oh and make this thing stable fix the line drop outs and the switching between network problem (you have to put it in and out of airplane mode a lot.
post #54 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 01:00 PM
Rookie

Hello,

I have now had my iPhone 3G for just about a week now and for the most part I am very happy with it. I do have some questions/concerns that maybe someone can help me with.

Firstly I have tried a few times now to use the web (WiFi) while on a call (G3 is OFF). I can see the WiFi signal in my house is excellent and web pages load quickly at first bet then suddenly the signal drops to near zero (only the dot at the bottom of the signal meter is green) and pages stop loading or load very slowly. Has any one else tried this with the same results? It is very handy when I'm on a call to be able to access the web or maps.

Second I can't understand why I can't use a ring tone as a SMS alert. I mean my old Nokia flip would use any mp3 I loaded as either a ring tone or SMS tone. I can see the SMS tones when configuring my ring tone but I can't see ring tones when I'm configuring my SMS tones. A small annoyance but I want to make a tone I can actually hear.

Other than that I can say that my initial experience has been great. I've uploaded music and movies and the playback is great for both. While the biggest complaint I had read before I got the phone was the lack of turn-by-turn GPS. I can say for myself it hasn't been a problem. Just the other day I did a search in maps for a business I had never been to and google maps found the business, popped a red pin where I wanted to be (and I could click on the business name for phone numbers and web page) and dropped a blue pin where I was and it was fast simple to find where I wanted to be.

The lack of a real ToDo list that would sync with outlook is unfortunate.

After the phone has been on for a while the contact list seems to hang up when I load it for 5 seconds or so, after a reboot all is fine.

I like the conversational layout of the SMS program.

I like that you are able to save an image from a website or an e-mail by holding your finger on the image for a second then choose save image. The curious thing tho, is it puts that image on the camera roll so when you connect to your computer the phone shows up as a digital camera where you can copy the images to your computer sans iTunes just like any digital point and shoot.

I do have a question about the "whocalled" feature. I get a text message every single time I miss a call whether the phone is on or off. I was under the impression it was only supposed to notify you if someone called while your phone was off or outside the service area. So with visual voicemail I get all of the following when I miss a call:

1. Phone notification of a missed call and who it was (name and Number)
2. An SMS from Fido with who called (just a number)
3. Phone notification of a new voicemail in Visual Voicemail
4. an SMS from Fido saying I have a voicemail.

This is a bit ridiculous as I have to take care of 4 warnings for a missed call. I tried to remove the who called feature but it was bundled with the visual voicemail and can't be removed. That is annoying but it's an annoyance with Fido rather than the iPhone.

I really haven't played around with too many apps but i really enjoy last.fm streaming radio.

I wish I had a home PC so I could use Simplify Media to stream my library to my iPhone. I've seen it in action and it's pretty cool.

Well that's my thoughts for now. I just wanted to say I really enoy reading the posts and have learned a great deal. Thanks

Darren
post #55 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 08:05 PM

Installed 2.02 patch

Now once again I am re-installing iPhone. I had hoped 2.02 would fix the crashes but ....

Maybe it's time to jailbreak :-)
post #56 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwingZ24 View Post
Hello,

Second I can't understand why I can't use a ring tone as a SMS alert. I mean my old Nokia flip would use any mp3 I loaded as either a ring tone or SMS tone. I can see the SMS tones when configuring my ring tone but I can't see ring tones when I'm configuring my SMS tones. A small annoyance but I want to make a tone I can actually hear.

The lack of a real ToDo list that would sync with outlook is unfortunate.
They need to fix the SMS tone bug first! the one where the alert wont even play after one play. after a reboot it works once, then not at all.

ToDo and Notes sync with Outlook is badly needed, yes.
post #57 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 01:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
ToDo and Notes sync with Outlook is badly needed, yes.
Heck, it would so nice if the ToDo and Notes sync'd with the ToDo and Notes in Mac's own Mail program. Seems like a no-brainer.
Their implementation seems so Microsoftian, actually....to ignore or miss something that seems so simple and intuitive.
post #58 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I had just seen the video touting the virtues of Mac OSx Leopard and the new notes and to do was one of the highlights. Strange, my little nokia flip could sync my todo list from Outlook. I really hope that a future SW release will address the todo list (especially if the new ads are targeting the iPhone 3G for business use).

I noticed today another strange feature about the iPhone 3G. I noticed that the keyboard 'clicks' are tied to ringer volume. As far as all the phones I have used keypad tones are a different setting from the ringer so you can turn them off if you wish. I noticed this today as I had to increase my ring tone volume so I can hear the phone ring, but now my phone sounds like a Geiger counter when I'm typing.

I installed 2.0.2 and as far as my experience has been I haven't noticed anything better or worse.
post #59 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 10:01 PM

movie format for iPhone

I purchased the movie 21 from itunes and one of the benefits of buying movies online is you get to sync it back to itunes and then either play it on apple tv or iphone.

Well 21 is wide and narrow on the iPhone and is really hard to watch (full width but only about 1/2 height in center of the screen so big black lines top and bottom) . I have not bothered to analyse resolution but you would assume if you pay $20 for a movie from apple to play on the apple iphone they could at least go to the trouble of reformating it (Pan scan... ) to the apple iphone screen.

FYI Picture this looks great / herbie has small lines. Maybe we need to create a list of what is formated to fit the iPhone screen
post #60 of 160 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 12:38 PM
Rookie

I've been playing around with converting my DVD's to h.264 and MPEG-4 movies for the iPhone. I have had some pretty inconsistent results.

Using one DVD to iPod converter I find that when it keeps the aspect ratio it limits to the vertical resolution ('y' x 320) but using Avex it limits to horizontal resolution ( 480 x 'z').

For example my family guy 4:3 episode was encoded as: 432 x 320 and 480x368 respectively

As far as I can tell both program encode the h.264 about the same but because Avex has a higher resolution you end up with about 6.32MB/min vs 4.44MB/min for the other DVD to iPod converter.

I know if you touch the screen while the movie is playing you will see the double arrow in the right hand side. Touching this makes the movie full screen (cutting off the sides of a wide screen movie or top and bottom of 4:3 full screen movie).

I couldn't tell the difference on the iPhone between Avex's higher resolution vs the other's, but for playback specific to the iPhone i would lean towards a smaller file size. I have not tried playing a movie through the TV out yet to see if there's a noticeable difference. I assume that the movies you buy from iTunes are HD quality (thus far higher resolution than you can use on the iPhone) since they are 1.5GB and a h.264 at iPhone resolution is only 500-700MB.

Cheers

Darren

Tags
gsm , iphone , owner , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in