Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers ends subsidized phone plans, now exclusively offers device financing

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  NeilN 
#1 ·
No one else has mentioned this so here it is:

Rogers ends subsidized phone plans, now exclusively offers device financing

And the same for Fido:

Fido switches to exclusively offer device financing options

It's about time this happened. I've always opposed bundling the phone and service costs, as people don't understand exactly what they're paying and might not change their plan when the phone was paid for.

BTW, I have never had a phone on a plan. I've always paid for them outright or, in one case, received a free phone for being a long time customer.

#2 ·
well if it teaches people a lesson about the "true" cost of their phone, maybe it will stop young teenagers with no money from wanting to buy the latest and greatest $2000 phone, then losing it or getting it stolen, then im all for it. you should be able to buy a phone that you can afford within your means, but most people are accustom to buying a $2000+ fone /iphone because the tru cost is hidden in subsidies and long term contracts, people need to educate themself better

#5 ·
I've seen stories about phones with folding screens with a suggested retail for over $2000. In reality very few people own one. A lot of other high end phones cost over $1000 from wireless carriers. The iPhone 11 Pro is $1,415.00 from Rogers and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ is $1,725.00 (that's 1,983.75 with HST, ouch, and close to $2000.) If last year's trends continue, prices could be higher next model year.

In reality, it's not necessary to pay that much. There are lots of good phones available for a lot less money. There are several ways to save some money. Buying an imported Samsung model that works in Canada will save a few hundred. The warranty will be very limited but that's the trade off. Wait until next year's models are released and the price drops some more. Wait until Black Friday and prices drop again. I've seen last year's phones going for about half their original suggested retail for a brief time until they are sold out.

#7 ·
So I live in a street, on my street theres a lot of kids, these kids age range from 12-18 years old, these kids have phones that cost in excess of $1000 they show it off all the time, most of these kids aren't even old enough to work., its because of these kids and their flashy new top of the line phones that my 5 year old daughter now wants a phone of her own, yeah right, that ain't happening. monkey see monkey doo. this is what society does to children, half of the time theyre all sitting down and sending messages to one another no one talks anymore. gees im so glad phones were not a thing when i grew up

#8 ·
I've got to wonder where this is. It's certainly was not like that when I grew up and it's not like that around here. I was lucky to get a $20 portable radio when I was a kid. It also makes me wonder what kind of values these kids will have as teenagers and adults. There are lots of good new phones for under $500 that will do a good job of texting and most other tasks. If you want to shoot videos for broadcast, make a movie, run a complex business app or need high end security then a $1000+ phone makes sense. I know adults who do just fine with a used phone that costs under $200.

#9 ·
I was lucky to get a $20 portable radio when I was a kid.
Mine was $10 and I paid half with what I made on my paper route. I agree about questioning some people's priorities. When I was a kid, we had a black, rotary dial, wall mount phone for the entire family. We were also initially on a party line. Now kids need an iPhone, not just a decent Android phone, the "right" running shoes and more. It seems the brand name is more important than value. They're learning this from their parents. Look at all the people wearing clothes with some label on the outside, for all to see. I long ago refused to wear anything like that.

#10 ·
Never underestimate the power of peer pressure. "Influencers" get paid thousands of dollars to promote high priced (many would say overpriced) brands so it doesn't look like advertising. It's everywhere, especially on social media. The end result is that expectations keep going up and kids have to have the latest $1000+ iPhone to keep up. The high prices that wireless carriers charge makes it even worse. They charge full retail or more for the hardware and bundle them with expensive phone plans that are also unnecessary for many people, especially kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.