chatr questions...... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

chatr questions......

I am thinking of getting the chatr plan that has unlimited incoming calls, unlimited texting,100 minutes outgoing calls and 250MB data.

What happens when the 100 minutes are used up? When the data is used up? And do 1-800 calls count towards the 100 minutes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 09:00 PM
Veteran

When outgoing call minutes and data are used up you will be charged pay per use rates. In my opinion, those rates are expensive. They will be charged against your account balance, if there is one. If not I suspect the call will be blocked until money is added. In an emergency, it's possible to make collect calls but the rates for those is very high. Some prepaid sellers have automatic top up options that automatically add money when the account becomes low. That needs to be used with caution, or a very low limit credit card.

1-800 calls will count as air time and will be charged against voice time or at pay per use rates.

Note that retrieving voice messages is charged at $0.40/min. That's also quite expensive and should be charged against talk minutes, not always at pay per use rates.

Chatr is on the Roger network. My experience is that 3G data on Rogers network is not very reliable. If data speed and reliability is important, go with a reseller that has 4G.

This plan is fairly inexpensive as long as you stay within the allotted data and voice amounts. Otherwise, it could get quite expensive. If there is any chance pay per use voice or data is required, I would be looking elsewhere.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 09:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My experience is that 3G data on Rogers network is not very reliable.
Rogers has had LTE since 2011 and most phones built in the past few years support it. I know my Nexus 5, which I bought in 2013, did.. They've already started the move to 5G. It should be rolled out next year. 3G is an old technology, which has been around since about 2006.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-05, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

@ ExDilbert.....Could voicemail either be disabled or simply not set up to begin with? I have zero interest in having voicemail. And would data still work after the 250MB is used up?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-05, 09:15 PM
Veteran

@north49 , Don't know if voicemail can be turned off with Chatr. I'm currently on Koodo. Voicemail with Koodo cannot be turned off and checking messages is billed against pay per use voice minutes. I just ignore voicemails from unknown numbers rather than pay to retrieve spam. They can pay to store the messages until they get automatically deleted.

Quote:
Rogers has had LTE since 2011 and most phones built in the past few years support it.
The issue is that prepaid plans through third party resellers on the Rogers network are limited to 3G. Chatr (owned by Rogers) states that it's prepaid plans use 3G for data. It may be a Rogers restriction at the wholesale level. 3G data on the Rogers network plan I had did not work well on one phone. On another it did not work at all. After switching to a reseller on the Telus network with 4G support, data is fast and reliable.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-05, 11:13 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Just as an FYI, I'm on Rogers PAYGo and I called in to have my Voicemail turned off years ago. Can't hurt to call the appropriate number to have this done. With Rogers you cannot do it yourself.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 12:32 AM

The common way for businesses to handle non-working mail boxes is to use :
"This is not a monitored mail box. Do not leave a message. Please call again.', or something similar.

Data info from CHATR Details Section:
' Once you reach your 3G speed data allotment, your data speed will be reduced until your next anniversary date.'
Only over-limit calls are charged.

With Public Mobile you are simply cut off, so no over-charging is possible. Text service includes MMS.
Lucky Mobile $15 plan does not include unlimited incoming calls.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 09:09 AM
Veteran

if you do not want voicemail just call them and tell them to remove it completely, there will always be some jerk who calls your voicemail and leaves an important message like "so and so had a car accident and is in the hospital" on your voicemail even when your greeting says to "Not Leave a Message" why still have the possibility? cover your bases and simply ask for it to be shut down completely, if they call and no one answers they will find another way to tell you an urgent message that someone had a car accident and is in the hospital.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 09:43 AM

With most providers you can access your voicemail from a landline if you need to check it without incurring usage on your cell plan, but that's certainly not the most convenient way to do it.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 10:06 AM
Veteran

tell that to the newer generation who has no landline anymore or the older generation who disconnected their landline cus cost of living went up but my salary went down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in