Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

So Long Fido!

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Sad to say but I made the decision to leave Fido Mobile this weekend. Fido has been very good to me over the years but as the saying goes, all good things come to an end. Nothing personal to Fido, I've been with them since the days of City Fido and they have been very good. I've even had the pleasure of spending a good 5 years working for the company too and getting to know the culture, it was a very hard working culture who also deserve to be rewarded for their hard work and they often did. During my time I experienced the takeover of fido by Rogers Wireless as the new parent company, Fido expanding their network (2G/3G and 4G LTE)

They have been so far okay with their mobile phones and selection but as I grow up from being a teenager, to a husband, and now father of 2 kids, their plans do not seem as ideal for someone like me any more. Yeah they are great plans but they throw in all this extra crap that I would never use like Spotify, Vice, Data Bytes, Roaming, promotions and discounts etc. these are nice things but younger people would benefit more from these over someone like me.

I got a good deal moving 2 lines to bell mobility for myself and wife. save a bit of money, and get more of the features that we actually need

#5 ·
my best friend has freedom mobile (formerly known as wind mobile) and i stopped calling him regularly, i was getting tired of his phone calls dropping, and audio cutting out due to the spotty reception, its frustrating talking to him and imagine, yea id save a lot of money but having a continuous coverage with little to no dropouts means more to me than some money in savings, so i said no to freedom

#3 ·
Same feelings about Fido. Original plans had everything I needed.
I don't stream videos so not much need for data, just occasional map or Google Search.
Now their smallest phone included plan is $65 with 4GB of data.

For bring your own phone, $15 Fido gives you NO calls, Canada only text and 250MB data.

For $15 Public Mobile(TELUS) gives you UNLIMITED international text, UNLIMITED incoming calls, 100 Minutes OG calls
and if you register for automatic 30 day payments they give you 250MB of data.
Or for $25 1GB data and unlimited talk/text.

Even Freedom Mobile pushing big data plans, but do offer small plans similar to PM.
Far more low cost options with smaller providers!

#6 ·
^^^^
That may also be due to where he calls from, rather than the network. I'm on Rogers and couldn't get reliable coverage inside my condo, even though the signal was fine outside. That problem was resolved when I got WiFi calling.

There is no such thing as a network that provides a good signal everywhere.

#8 ·
^^^^
I've had Bell phones for work and they were even worse in my home. Their nearest site is a few blocks further than Rogers. As I said, there's no such thing as a network that provides good coverage everywhere, but there will be differences in where the good and bad coverage is.

So, for some, Freedom may provide excellent service but perhaps not for others. One area where Freedom has an advantage over the others is in the Toronto subway. They are the only ones to have a signal in there, as they are the only ones that agreed to use the third party company (BAI) to get that. Both Bell & Rogers have refused.

#10 ·
I absolutely would have considered Freedom, but a big factor in me signing up for a carrier is will it work where I "Need" it to work so my home, my work, my wifes work, my relatives house, the majour highways, and places we visit frequently in the GTA.

Fido, Rogers and Chatter have great coverage, but also the price plan and features I get for my money are another big factor in the carrier I choose. The Phone offered has no impact on which carrier I go with, as phones break and will change every 2 years why change carriers because of a short term decision such as handset is ridiculous but i know people like that, they actually willingly pay MORE per month for a different carrier, all because they are offered the phone they want. how dumb do you have to be for this? me no no!

#11 ·
Newer phones with LTE tend to support a lot more phone networks these days. There are exceptions but they are relatively minor. A good, factory unlocked LTE phone made for the Canadian market will work with just about all Canadian carriers. Mine is dual SIM, a feature omitted in most phones sold by wireless carriers in Canada. In theory, I could have two plans that work just about anywhere in NA or most places in NA and another region.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.