Insurance for wireless phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Insurance for wireless phone

Hey...first post here. so if this topic has already been brought up, I apologise, I scanned a couple of pages and didn't see it.

I just got the iPhone 4S (32gb), and didn't see anything available from Rogers for insurance on it...even if there was, it likely would have been more expensive than it reasonably should be.

So, I explored other options...and finally discovered that I could add it to my home insurance for about $15 a year...no deductible on it if I make a claim. Considering what it would cost to replace the phone, I'd say that's a pretty good deal...just figured i would share my experience with others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 02:22 PM
Member #1

What insurance company are you with? Do you pay a lot for house insurance because the no deductible and it only costing $15 a year seems really cheap.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey Hugh,

i live in Halifax, NS, and go thru a broker here called Bay Insurance. I thought of checking with them after reading that someone else had their phone added to their home policy, for a similarly low figure.

And I agree...I was extremely pleased at how little this cost. I think we're conditioned by Wireless companies to believe these things should be both more difficult and more expensive than this, lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 11:12 AM
Rookie

Rogers is the only company that offers a Handset Protection Guarantee on top of the 1 year manufacturer's warranty at no cost. It is either a one time replacement or repair of your phone if it's out of warranty, lost, stolen or broken. There is always at least one $0 replacement (E5) option and several discounted refurbished or new devices. Apple also offers an out of warranty program if it's damaged. I'd double check with your insurance company on the implications of making a claim as even though there is no deductible it may impact your monthly rates. If not then $15/year isn't really a bad deal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

iLancer,

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the Rogers Handset Protection program...I've also heard the horror stories of what kind of phones it will have available for you. If I have made the investment in an iPhone, I want an iPhone, not something Rogers chooses to make available. As far as my insurance, my monthly rates could double (which is pretty extreme) and having an iPhone replaced would STILL be worth it. They advised that there is no more implication than any other sort of claim, and given that I've never had to claim for anything it would barely impact me.

I am, however, interested in the Apple out of warranty program...I investigated AppleCare, and it seemed to preclude things like the phone being damaged, etc...if you could point me to more details about Apple's protection, it would be much appreciated.

and thanks again for the reply!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 09:42 AM
Veteran

I would also look into the terms of the house insurance. It may only cover it if you can prove the phone was stolen, such as in a house break in. It may also cover theft from a locked car or locked office. I doubt it covers simple loss or theft from an open or public space.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 12:10 PM
Rookie

Apple's out of warranty at: http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...product=iphone

As far as Roger's HPG the $0 option is an E5. There are older iPhones for under $400.

Tags
iphone , replacement , warranty , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in