New Rogers data roaming plans could prove costly - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

New Rogers data roaming plans could prove costly

Rogers Wireless has announced new data plans for customers wishing to user their smartphone’s data capabilities (email, mobile web surfing, downloading documents) when travelling to the United States.

By the time you add in the extra $120 a year ($10 a month) and the higher "additional data usage" charge, these plans could actually prove very costly.

Great if you stay within your cap and travel to the U.S. many months a year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 01:50 PM

Why not just purchase a US roaming minute bundle? It's available on both Bell and Rogers - not sure about Telus.

You can get 100 US minutes for $40 bucks on Bell....not sure about Rogers.

They also have international packages.

This way you only pay when you go.

Cheers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

rob11, these are new data plans not voice roaming plans.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 02:12 PM
Veteran

This is definitely a step in the right direction, but it's not good enough. Why not introduce a true North American plan that encompasses voice and data.

I you told me for another $120 per year I could use my iPhone (voice + data) anywhere in North America without worrying about roaming, I would be all over it.

I spend the equivalent of 2 months in the U.S. every year, and I don't think I'll be going for this plan. First of all, the cost of voice roaming is insane, despite the travel add-on packs they introduced last year. And while the data part of it is nice, it's still too much money considering I don't use my phone for business, but rather personal use.

Since last year, I purchased 2 cheap, pay-as-you-go Verizon phones, which I use only while in the US. They cost me 99 cents per phone per day I use them (no monthly fee, no contract, no charge on days you don't make or receive calls).

I miss using my iPhone for the data while I'm there, but $120 might appeal to a business customer more than an individual. I rely on WiFi to do email and browsing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
rob11, these are new data plans not voice roaming plans.
My bad ...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 09:09 PM
Veteran

considering how much they charge per kb on data roaming, $120 per year becomes cheap!

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 07:15 PM
Rookie

Smile Roger's Data Roaming vs the competitiors..

Roger's charge an extra $10 for the privilege of using your bundled data in the US, and $0.25/MB thereafter.. Other operators in Canada are $6/MB out of bundle and $1/MB with a $10 'Roaming fee', and no access to your 'bundled data'.

Plus you can share your Data bundle with your RocketStick too (as you can with other providers).

Don't get me wrong, I'm against <any> obscene profiteering by the big wireless companies, but Roger's has surprised me with these plans!

Tags
data plans , roaming , rogers wireless , smartphone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in