Virgin Mobile is kicking me off my grandfathered $0.30/minute plan - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Virgin Mobile is kicking me off my grandfathered $0.30/minute plan

I just received a text telling me that as of July 21st I will be automatically signed up for $5/month local calling plan. Which gives me a whopping 10 minutes of LOCAL calling. I have no recourse. Either I accept it or cancel my service. Or per their suggestion sign-up for a monthly plan at much higher rates! They also said they would waive the penalties! How gracious they are.

Currently I have a prepaid $0.30/minute plan. I rarely make phone calls (maybe 1 minute per week) so this benefits them. Yes it is only $5 per month but it is useless to me.

They explained that the grandfathered prepaid plans which I have are no longer offered.

I asked what happens if I exceed the 10 minutes and they said another $5 is deducted from my balance.

I asked if I can track my usage and they said there is no way to track call usage. Great service there Virgin Mobile!

I get it. They want monthly paying customers and when up-selling does not work they cut us off.

I think I will pay the $5/month and just wait for my balance to go to zero then consider my options.

I already pay $7/month for 500 texts. Which I also barely use. I would rather spend the $156 elsewhere.

OK rant over. There are bigger problems to worry about.
Gentleman and bb805 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:08 PM
Veteran

I've been treated a lot worse by other companies. Being billed in $5 increments is not that bad. Most other companies do it in $10, $15 or higher increments. $0.30 per minute is not that bad either. There are better rates available but the monthly charge is higher than $5. Bell put my rate up to $.50/min and, after other charges, left me with 8 minutes of talk time for $10/mo. (The only reason I kept it was due to a large carry over balance.)

Take a look around. Fees for even basic plans are getting to ridiculous levels with the major carriers. I ended up with Koodo and an unlimited texting plan for $15/mo. They throw in 100 minutes of talk with additional minutes at $10/100 when needed (they don't expire.) That's just $0.10/minute.
Jake likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:08 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Rogers recently (about 1.5 years ago) send out similar texts, however, they did allow you to stay with your grandfathered plan if you called in within a certain time frame. Some of us did this, while others moved to new PAYGo plans, or post-paid plans.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/199...ml#post3001321

With my grandfathered plan I'm able to use my existing balance to pay for suspending payments for a year. This has allowed me to average roughly $75/year for 10 years. The new PAYGo plans can be less expensive per minute, however, I use my phone so little that my existing plan is better for me. Most other people use their phones more, so they're better off with one of the newer plans.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t...p/416221#M2327

I just finished some research yesterday and found that only about 10% of wireless customers are still on Pre-paid in Canada. I thought it would be more.
Jake likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I read through the Rogers thread so I knew this was industry wide and got a few pointers there.

I started looking around and it seems the smaller start-ups are offering better plans for what I pay @ $13/month. A few even offer roll-over data! What a concept.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:45 PM

I suggest switching to public mobile (run by Telus/ sims at Walmart) if you go prepaid it is just $8 per month for 50 minutes and you can add more minutes or data buckets that don't expire.
Jake likes this.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 04:06 PM

My wife and I both have phones on Koodo with the $15/month text plan.

Sign up for pre-payments, and it is only $13.50 a month. We text a lot (with photos as well) to each other, friends, family, etc. so it is worth it for us.

We buy minutes and the odd data pack when they are on sale - usually you get 2GB for $30 which lasts us over a year (just to look up the odd thing when Wifi isn't available or to look at a map when travelling) and we bought 1200 Canada wide minutes for $30 when they have a sale (2.5 cents a minute). We barely used the minutes we bought and they've been rolling over for well over a year. They always have a sale in August for back to school.

They transferred our numbers (including a landline) seamlessly. We're happy so far with the service for $27 a month for 2 phones.
Jake likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Those are good tips thanks. I have hear others mention Koodo and Public Mobile.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 05:13 PM

I recently went with Public Mobile and couldn't be happier. I have unlimited talk and text Canada wide with 5g of data for $38 a month. You need to bring your own unlocked phone with them.
Jake likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 05:49 PM

@ Jake & 57........Just wondering if you still have this stone-age device known as a landline? If so I might also point out that Public Mobile has unlimited province wide calling for $20 a month($18 if using a credit card) and say goodbye to the landline.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 06:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Yes, I still have a landline, but for good reasons.

1. It costs me next to nothing with my Rogers Bundle (if I deleted it, I would save very little).
2. If I didn't have it, I'd need to pay money to upgrade my existing alarm system, plus my monthly monitoring fee would go from $10 to $20 minimum.
3. My landline has home and away voicemail, which I find very useful because we travel quite a lot (sends a wav file to my e-mail).
4. My PAYGo costs me about $70-75/year the way I use it.
5. I would need Canada-wide calling, as many of our LD friends are outside Ontario.
6. I have phones in every room and I don't and wouldn't carry around a cell phone. My cell is currently almost always turned off in a dish in the kitchen.

If it weren't for the alarm system, I might have deleted it, but so far it makes no sense for me.

A question: With my PAYGo, I have turned off my voicemail because telemarketers caused me to use up airtime by leaving messages that I would then need to retrieve and/or delete, costing me money twice (when they left the message and when I called for VM). How does that work for you?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 08:41 PM
Rookie

I have a landline with my Telus Optik combo. $5/mo for life (so they say) and unlimited Canada/US calling (hasn't been tested yet.

We have Public Mobile 100 mins Canada wide calling with unlimited incoming, unlimited International texting and 250MB of data. One line is $13/mo plus tax with discounts for 1 year loyalty and auto-pay.

I have a dual sim phone with the above PM on one sim and 3GB data with Fido on the other. Total $20/mo.

And also $40 6GB unlimited calling a texting Koodo plan migrated from Public.

I guess I should also mention another phone with the free Fongo app and free calling over wifi with no sim.

I retrieve voice mail from a different phone by rejecting the call and hitting the star key and entering the pin and pressing #.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
3. My landline has home and away voicemail, which I find very useful because we travel quite a lot (sends a wav file to my e-mail).
Mine sends it to my cell phone.

Quote:
A question: With my PAYGo, I have turned off my voicemail because telemarketers caused me to use up airtime by leaving messages that I would then need to retrieve and/or delete, costing me money twice (when they left the message and when I called for VM). How does that work for you?
I don't even have voice mail on my cell phone. I have busy/no answer transfer to my home phone. Regardless of which number is called, it goes to my home phone voice mail.

My Rogers Home Phone also doesn't cost me anything.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I guess I should also mention another phone with the free Fongo app and free calling over wifi with no sim.
I also use Fongo for long distance calls on my cell phone.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 12:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycat View Post
I recently went with Public Mobile and couldn't be happier. I have unlimited talk and text Canada wide with 5g of data for $38 a month. You need to bring your own unlocked phone with them.
That sounds really good. Is that offered online or did you have to talk to someone? Did you port over an existing cell number? I've been trying to get my Dad off his ancient Android with no-data Fido plan. I snagged an iPhone 6S from another family member when they upgraded last week and have been looking for an appropriate plan. Also have to check on the locked/unlocked status of the phone. It's accompanying two year contract expired last year.
Jake likes this.

--
Neil
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 03:55 AM
Veteran

Speakout is a good deal for us neanderthals(I do have data from fido on another sim). Speakout is .30 a minute and can be as little as $25 year. They often have discounts on basic phones but an unlocked or I believe a rogers phone will work. Depends on coverage in your area. If an unlocked phone you roam on bell and telus at times.
If you pay $25 after a year you keep the balance.
There is a bogus basic $1.25 a month fee.

Seems they now make it look like you need a monthly prepaid but you can still have pay as you go.

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/plans/#rates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in