Unlocking your Cell - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 04:40 PM
Veteran

This was with Android and Rogers network. Don't know if it was the O/S or the network but data settings needed fixing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Thanks everyone. I will look in my phone to see if I can record any APN settings. Its an Android. The tech support guy at CellUnlocker.net told me the phone will still work on Bell after unlocking.

On a side note, i am happy that I am now able to send email using my phone. I have a small business and my company email server is provided by the web hosting firm that hosts my website. I use the built-in email app in the Android phone and everything was fine until about 6 months ago. I suddenly could not send email from the phone but could receive. I contacted tech support at the host and they gave me a few options for configuring email connection such as port numbers and security settings such as SSL. Nothing worked. Finally, the other day, I installed a different email app and set up the connection, it somehow decided to use Port 465 for the outgoing email server, and it worked. I went back to the standard email app I was using before and entered Port 465. Success! However, enabling SSL security still doesn't work, I had to set it "no security" to allow it to work. I still wonder if that problem is with Bell's data network or the hosts servers....
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 11:08 PM
Veteran

Any new APN settings needed should be supplied by the new phone plan vendor. They may be on their web site or available elsewhere.

Web email apps should have defaults for most popular email services. I've seen settings change occasionally due to increased security for Gmail, etc. If it's a work or personal email server then they will likely need to be entered. If the email agent doesn't have default setting for Bell, then Bell should provide them. I've noticed that cellular providers like Bell sometimes lack security protocols such as SSL. That's not an issue if they use other means to provide a secure connection to their email servers. It would be nice if they allowed SSL though.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-12-07, 11:45 AM

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-04, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerakmacd View Post
I've switched SIM cards many times when travelling internationally and never had an issue. Just pop the SIM in and you're good to go. Never had to fuss with settings at all. Everything, talk, text, data, all work. I use an iPhone
iPhones are the exception to this rule as the phone will pick the carrier apn settings based on the sim card inserted, but Normally phones only have the APN of the carrier it was sold by/branded to installed. so for example, a phone from Fido will have the Fido data APN's. Even tho the phone is unlocked and will gladly accept and work with a BELL sim card, the BELL data APN's must be manually entered. There are rare occasions where some phone vendors make one model for all cell phone providers and the phone installs the APN based on the sim card installed, so if this happens do not expect ALL phones to behave this way, this is only an exception to the rule because they want to avoid installing multiple firmwares for each carrier.

In my case, my old fido phone, I factory reset it, put in my Bell sim card, and installed the Bell APN's on it and it now works on the Bell LTE data.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 08:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Someone is willing to give me his iPhone 5S which was on Bell but has the SIM removed and I have a few questions:

1. Can I call Bell to unlock the phone, or does he need to?
2. I assume it'll be easy for me to use it on the Rogers network (once unlocked) - although I'll need to perhaps pay for a SIM?
3. I currently have a Samsung Flip-phone from 2009 with a SIM. Will that SIM work in the iPhone 5S and will I be able to have the same number as with the old Samsung?
4. We don't use our existing phone very much, so I'm assuming that I could use the iPhone on Rogers PAYGo (prepaid).
5. One of the reasons for getting the iPhone is for my wife to be able to "control" her hearing aids, so phoning with it is secondary really.
6. Since I have had no use for a smartphone to this point, is there something about the 5S that I should be aware of?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 10:32 PM
Veteran

1. Most likely he needs to ask Bell. They have a fairly high fee. It might be cheaper to use another service.
2. That depends on the phone. Every model is different. The phone's information page might provide a model suffix or qualifier that can provide more detailed info. Some models are custom made for carriers, others are country or region specific and a few are universal. I'm not up on all the frequencies and finer details. One site that might provide enough info is Phone Arena. Another way to find out is to find the exact model for sale unlocked and see what networks they say are compatible.
3. Not 100% unsure about iPhones but for unlocked phones it's usually as simple swapping the SIM. The phone number and account information should remain the same. Another issue is SIM size. There are 3 standard sizes. Most newer phones use the micro-SIM. Universal SIMS can be trimmed easily to fit any phone. The contacts are identical for all 3 sizes.
4. Shouldn't be an issue as long the phone is compatible with Rogers network. We've move several phones over to a PAYGO service that uses Rogers network. The only catch was entering Rogers' network details to get data working. iPhones reportedly do that automatically.
5. I rarely use my phone for conventional phone calls. Even those are often done using a free VoIP app over wifi.
6. I use Android so can't help with Apple stuff that much. As long as the 5S is still supported there should be no issues.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 11:08 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
1. Most likely he needs to ask Bell. They have a fairly high fee. It might be cheaper to use another service.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought unlocking fees were in the past. Link in post 19. If it ends up being too much trouble for him, I can always pay a small amount for the unlock code.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 12:18 AM
Veteran

Bell should do it for free even if you call them. They were picky at first about having Bell customers call for unlock codes, but they changed their tune when enough people started complaining.

With iPhones, there's also no "code" to enter like on other phones. Once Bell unlocks it, they essentially update the IMEI number in an Apple activation database. Then when the phone is reset, it will be unlocked during the initial setup process.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

(Note - you won't have to reset the iPhone each time you switch SIM cards after the unlock is done)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Someone is willing to give me his iPhone 5S which was on Bell but has the SIM removed and I have a few questions:

1. Can I call Bell to unlock the phone, or does he need to?
2. I assume it'll be easy for me to use it on the Rogers network (once unlocked) - although I'll need to perhaps pay for a SIM?
3. I currently have a Samsung Flip-phone from 2009 with a SIM. Will that SIM work in the iPhone 5S and will I be able to have the same number as with the old Samsung?
4. We don't use our existing phone very much, so I'm assuming that I could use the iPhone on Rogers PAYGo (prepaid).
5. One of the reasons for getting the iPhone is for my wife to be able to "control" her hearing aids, so phoning with it is secondary really.
6. Since I have had no use for a smartphone to this point, is there something about the 5S that I should be aware of?
Answers:
1. It should be the seller who should unlock the phone before giving/selling it to you, After all, it *might* be able to be unlocked by the buyer but its not guarenteed and not always easier.
2. Are you an existing customer already or a new customer? if you are a new customer, the process is the same except you are not buying a device so monthly plans might be *cheaper*
3. depending on the sim card size, likely not, iPhones use a smaller size sim card, but the good news, is newer sim cards have all 3 sizes in one card with knockouts, you just punch out the size you need and the sim card becomes the size, if your current sim card is not like this, you simply buy a new one and ask your carrier to swap your account from the old sim to the new one
4. you can use an iphone on any type of cell service, pre-paid or post paid, now just word of advice a lot of the data specific iphone apps may need data to work so u might get a lot of nag messages or so that they can not connect, not sure but you can always disable some of them
5. if that is the case, then should be ok, there are other phones out there with hearing aid compatibility too, so please check the specs if u wish to know more
6. as long as u dont setup or use any of the apps that require data connections you should be okay.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 09:53 AM

57:
Suggest skip the cellphone part of it and use the Wi-Fi capabilities only, if used only in house for such as hearing aids (which may be bluetooth connection). Apple has a bad habit of eating up lots of data if connected via a SIM.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the tips so far.

1. I will ask the person to unlock it, rather than me trying after the fact. I just hate to put him to the trouble since he's giving me the phone, but perhaps it's not that much trouble.
2. I'm an existing Rogers PAYGo customer on the Grandfathered Anytime plan - $10/mo, rolls over, etc. This plan is no longer available. I may switch plans if I decide to do more with the phone.
3. Since my Samsung Flip is 9 years old, the sim may not fit, but I believe you can get a new one from any Rogers store for about $10.
4. Is there a way to "globally" disconnect cell data on the phone? I plan to use it WiFi 99% of the time and only use it to text or phone for an emergency. I may even download something like WhatsApp to text/call by WiFi.
5. Since this phone is "free" I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
6. Understood.
7. Yes, the hearing aids will use Bluetooth. There's an app and also the accessibility portion of the phone.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Yes, you can actually turn off cell data quite easily in the Settings menu.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 10:56 AM
Veteran

3. A lot of SIMS are "3-in-1" and have breakout tabs. If it's not, there should be no issue in replacing the SIM without any account changes. Most new phones use the micro-SIM which is the smaller of the three. Activating the SIM and registering the phone should be possible online.
4. It should be fairly easy to turn data on and off. The same with wifi. I leave data off and wifi on unless I am out of wifi range and need data. PAYGO data is often too expensive to let the phone use it for things like background app updates.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 03:14 PM

Since Bell uses CDMA technology, will the phone work on a GSM network such as Rogers. Or is the ability to work on various networks built into the cell phone?

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in