Someone is willing to give me his iPhone 5S which was on Bell but has the SIM removed and I have a few questions:
1. Can I call Bell to unlock the phone, or does he need to?
2. I assume it'll be easy for me to use it on the Rogers network (once unlocked) - although I'll need to perhaps pay for a SIM?
3. I currently have a Samsung Flip-phone from 2009 with a SIM. Will that SIM work in the iPhone 5S and will I be able to have the same number as with the old Samsung?
4. We don't use our existing phone very much, so I'm assuming that I could use the iPhone on Rogers PAYGo (prepaid).
5. One of the reasons for getting the iPhone is for my wife to be able to "control" her hearing aids, so phoning with it is secondary really.
6. Since I have had no use for a smartphone to this point, is there something about the 5S that I should be aware of?
1. It should be the seller who should unlock the phone before giving/selling it to you, After all, it *might* be able to be unlocked by the buyer but its not guarenteed and not always easier.
2. Are you an existing customer already or a new customer? if you are a new customer, the process is the same except you are not buying a device so monthly plans might be *cheaper*
3. depending on the sim card size, likely not, iPhones use a smaller size sim card, but the good news, is newer sim cards have all 3 sizes in one card with knockouts, you just punch out the size you need and the sim card becomes the size, if your current sim card is not like this, you simply buy a new one and ask your carrier to swap your account from the old sim to the new one
4. you can use an iphone on any type of cell service, pre-paid or post paid, now just word of advice a lot of the data specific iphone apps may need data to work so u might get a lot of nag messages or so that they can not connect, not sure but you can always disable some of them
5. if that is the case, then should be ok, there are other phones out there with hearing aid compatibility too, so please check the specs if u wish to know more
6. as long as u dont setup or use any of the apps that require data connections you should be okay.