No more prompts when making long distance calls! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-09, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

No more prompts when making long distance calls!

Have you ever noticed when placing a long distance call you don't get the prompt anymore that says "your call is being connected; long distance charges will apply."?

Well, I opened my daughters bill and guess what? Over $100 in long distance charges. When I asked my daughter about the calls; she says, "I didn't get the warning prompt, so how am I supposed know?" Can't blame my daughter for that response so I decided to try for myself and she was right.

So I called Bell and was told this was removed back in November 2014; I'm like, what, really, how can you do this without telling anyone? The rep couldn't even tell me why this removed! This is negative optioning in my opinion, can Bell do this to people??? Does the CRTC even know??? I'm so angry!!!

Can anyone help shed some light on this and can anything be done to bring this back?

Last edited by 57; 2015-04-10 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 12:28 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I guess people were annoyed by the prompts (didn't know the workaround in the link below), so they were removed. See thread below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...+distance+bell

Are you sure you didn't get a text or notice in a bill, etc? Someone with Bell should be along shortly to expand on this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Does she have a "1" included at the start of phone numbers in her contacts?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 08:59 AM

The bigger controversy here, in my opinion, is that the concept of "long distance" still exists at all. But that's an entirely different discussion.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Does she have a "1" included at the start of phone numbers in her contacts?
My daughter has a smartphone whereby you don't even have to include the 1+ any more. I tested this theory and the call connected without the prompt. Anyways, I checked her contacts list and they are all ten digit numbers....
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

This does not affect me but I am willing to bet my parents will get caught. I will let them know. They live in a rural district and what is long distance and what is not is not always clear before calling. That is calls originating from one location are local but the other direction are long distance.

I know there is a place (my googlefu has failed me) where you can check exchanges and see which ones are long distance. With LNP that may become more complicated.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Without knowing what the local calling boundaries are, how is this fair to one that doesn't know the difference between what's local and what's long distance?? Like my daughter and your parents...huh!

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-04-10 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I know there is a place (my googlefu has failed me) where you can check exchanges and see which ones are logn distance. With LNP that may become more complicated.
I may be wrong here, but don't some local calling areas vary by carrier?! I recall a few years ago, for example, that Rogers decided to shrink the Toronto local calling area.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 12:02 PM

Yes that is what I was thinking Jase. Nemnoch was a member here and used to post LCA and ELCA lists. I can't seem to find a valid link anymore.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 12:25 PM

I often use Local Calling Guide, but it's landline-centric.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

What good is that??? I'm in an area where I can call Hamilton locally using my cell phone however on my land line, its long distance and vise versa in other areas.

Last edited by Jase88; 2015-04-10 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quotes
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-06-05, 08:02 PM
Rookie

It seems almost every plan has free long distance within Canada these days. I think unknown long distance charges will be less and less of an issue going forward.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 10:13 AM
Veteran

It would take a long time for domestic long distance to be phased out, there are still a lot of grandfathered plans, and other phone carriers who still have long distance options, it would require EVERYBODY, EVERY CARRIER, and even resellers to force people to new plans which wont be easy, but its a start.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 11:36 AM
Veteran

All long distance and roaming charges should be eliminated. It costs almost nothing for carriers to provide roaming and long distance with modern infrastructure yet they retain inflated charges in order to victimize customers that don't purchase expensive plans they don't need. Companies like Bell seem to think they are entitled to hundreds of dollars a month from every Canadian regardless of need, actual use or ability to pay. It's time to put an end to the "Bell tithe."
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It would take a long time for domestic long distance to be phased out, there are still a lot of grandfathered plans
I'm on Rogers. I used to have to pay long distance on my home phone, but now I can dial toll free across Canada. What I'd appreciate would be if they stopped advising a call is local (in the GTA) and not to dial 1. Because of this, I have to dial again without the 1. This is an issue when I'm calling back someone who called me first and the call display number includes the 1. Instead of using display dial, I have to manually dial. On the other hand, my cell phonecalls ignore the 1, when not needed. All the numbers on my cell phone start with +1, which most cell carriers accept and works fine whether the call is local or not.

I also remember when it was long distance to call across Winston Churchill Blvd, from Oakville to Mississauga, but things have changed and it shouldn't be a big deal to change, even with grandfathered customers.

BTW, is Bell still charging for touch tone? They charged it for years after pulse dial lines were no longer available. Now there was a scam!

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in