Will your phone work on Telus/Bell's HSPA network? - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 03:55 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Actually, I contacted the guy who runs "Steve Punter's Southern Ontario
Cell Phone Page" and asked about that. His response was:

"They switched to GSM over 3 years ago. They first implemented HSPA, and then they launched LTE almost 2 years ago. They both still run a CDMA network, but they haven't been selling new CDMA phones or plans for years now. They plan to shutdown the old CDMA network in the near future."

As for 700 MHz, I'm on Rogers and they like their customers to roam on AT&T, though some other carrier (I've forgotten who) was also available, when I was in Missouri 2 years ago. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get the B or C bands, as AT&T uses.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 04:01 PM

He's confused about what GSM actually is. It's a specific network technology, which predates HSPA. Like I said, some people think (even to this day) that anything that uses a SIM card is GSM.

Bell and Telus also use AT&T for roaming, as (I believe) do SaskTel and MTS. Videotron has a new network sharing agreement with Rogers that would make it highly preferable for them to share a frequency band. Not to mention that phones made for AT&T have support for the HSPA frequencies those carriers use, unlike phones made for Verizon. Every carrier will value AT&T's blocks over Verizon's. The question is, how much do they each value them at?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #108 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 04:14 PM
Veteran

^^^^
One thing both he and that article pointed out was that it was necessary for them to have GSM to offer the iPhone, which does not support the CDMA network.

If you think he's confused, then perhaps you'd better visit his site, to see what he's been doing for the past several years.

Perhaps I'll run a test some day. I have an old Motorola V180 GSM phone, which I used on Rogers. If I get around to it, I'll try unlocking it and putting a Bell SIM in to see what happens.

post #109 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 05:35 PM

That is not true. Every iPhone since the iPhone 3G has had UMTS/HSPA support. The original iPhone won't work on the Bell/Telus network and never did.

I'm well aware of his site. I'm also well aware that there's a lot he doesn't know. Apparently, one of those things is the difference between GSM and HSPA.

You don't even need to unlock it. Bell can check by IMEI and tell you if your phone will work. You can try it here. As they say on that page, it must have HSPA or UMTS compatibility. Or try Telus, here. Koodo and Virgin have the same tools as well. My Sony Ericsson TM506, when I just checked, is not compatible. It does work with Rogers on GSM, however.

post #110 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 05:40 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I've been doing a bit more searching and there's a lot of confusion on this issue. I think the problem lies in Bell calling it "GSM", when it's clearly not what's normally considered GSM. I'm aware that UMTS uses the GSM CODEC and may be considered an extension of GSM, but calling it GSM because of that is a bit of a stretch.

post #111 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 06:03 PM

Bell has never called it GSM, at least not officially. Other (confused) people have done so.

post #112 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Yeah i dont ever remember bell or telus calling it GSM.
post #113 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 11:42 AM
Veteran

SIMPLE MAN'S METHOD

GSM or EDGE = 2G = Rogers ONLY
HPSA = 3G = Bell/Telus/Rogers and their subsidiaries
LTE = 4G = Bell/Telus/Rogers and their subsidiaries

Your phone has to handle the 850MHz and/or 1900MHz frequency for HPSA or LTE to work on Bell/Telus. If only the 2G works on that frequency, you are SOL.
post #114 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 01:41 PM

850 AND 1900 (only one will result in major holes in coverage). Also, the frequencies for LTE support are different from HSPA. Otherwise that pretty much covers it, if we ignore the many regional providers in Canada. For the purposes of this thread, a phone must support 850 and 1900 on UMTS or HSPA.

post #115 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Guess it's time to dig up the old image I used to have here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worknewnetwork1.jpg (66.8 KB, 39 views)
post #116 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 08:35 PM
Veteran

That is the best image. It just needs to be updated for 4G.
post #117 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-20, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

.. And just to clear up any more confusion, here's what happens when I enable 2G Only on my Nexus 5 (on Koodo). :-) No service.

post #118 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-02-17, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Hi I joined this forum because I'm having real difficulty finding out what I need to know in order to buy a dual sim phone which will work with a UK and Canadian SIM card. My daughter and I each use one at the moment: A Star W007 which is quad band and HSPDA 850/2100. We each have a Virgin Mobile Canada SIM (Bell) and a Virgin Mobile UK SIM (T-Mobile). We've never been able to send MMS messages although the phones/SIMs have worked for texting/calls (not international calls) etc. We need to buy new dual Sim phones now as my daughter's is almost finished from overuse. I looked at the BLU Life One and I think it would be okay (it has these specs):

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

but I sometimes see that people say they can't use BLU with Virgin Canada due to CDMA or is it a problem with BLU? I also wondered about the BLU Studio 5.0 which is cheaper.

What type of phones would be good? So long as the 3G frequency is given (is that 850 / 1900 in Canada and 2100 in the UK) am I good to go?? Don't want to make a mistake and spend $$hundreds and find the phones don't work, especially if I have to get them from, say, the US ...

I suppose I'd like to know why the Star W007 did work here in Canada (3G 850??) but if getting a phone with all three 3G frequencies 850 /1900 /2100 would do the trick.

Thank you very much if someone can answer this. I've telephoned and emailed phone sellers and networks and everyone gives conflicting answers.

Snowy2
post #119 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 01:45 AM

You need a phone that supports HSPA 1900/850.

Your current phone works because the majority of HSPA towers on virgin operate in the 850 frequency.
post #120 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The phone you are considering should work fine on Virgin Mobile Canada, since it supports both the 850MHz & 1900MHz HSPA bands. While their old network was CDMA based, they're now using HSPA (which is why your old phone worked as well).

As for those who claim it only works on Rogers, that does not make any sense unless they are in an area where Bell/Telus don't have HSPA service. For HSPA service, Rogers uses the same 850/1900MHz frequencies as Bell & Telus do, so as long as you are using the right APN and make sure the phone is set to "3G" it should work fine.

UPDATE: OK, I've seen this comment for other Blu phones as well, and I'm starting to wonder if it is indeed something with the baseband (radio) software they're using. I'm going out on a limb here, but the only thing I can think of is that it has an issue with Telus/Bell not actually having any 2G (GPRS/EDGE) support. Maybe see if you can contact Blu themselves first to see what they have to say on the matter.

Tags
bell , compatibility , hspa , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in