Will your phone work on Telus/Bell's HSPA network? - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 11:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Yeah, the D550a does indeed support both 850 & 1900MHz. The D550i only support 850MHz here.

Do you have another phone to verify your SIM is working and you have network coverage there?
I get a signal with both bell and telus sim in my other phone, I also typed in the imei # at telus and bell and it said not recognized, same at bell, telus and bell is the only ones I get a signal from here, I can see their tower from my front window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 11:49 AM

Are you certain it's the 550a that you have? That one should work.

Is it a dual SIM phone? If so, you may have the SIM in the wrong slot, or you may need to select in somewhere in the software.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #93 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-11-30, 08:50 AM
Rookie

Yea it was the 550a the sim slots are marked #1 GSM #2 is HSDPA/UMTS, looked in the software and couldn't find anywhere to select, anyway I got pissed off and decided to send it back, thanks for your help.

post #94 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-12-06, 10:09 PM
Rookie

Samsung SGH-X497 Unlocked

I have an unlocked Samsung SGH-X497. It operates on GSM 850 / 1800 / 1900MHz frequencies. Sounds like Telus/Bell are not compatible but Rogers is. Is this correct? Any other Canadian providers I could use this phone with?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...1269/fullspecs
post #95 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-12-07, 11:00 AM

If those specs are correct, it will work with anyone using the Rogers network (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and various MVNOs).

It will not work with the Bell/Telus network, or any of the new entrant networks (Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron, Eastlink, or Public)

post #96 of 132 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 08:58 AM
Veteran

dayum thats an old phone yes Toronto colin is correct, its a GSM ONLY (2G) phone, will only operate on GSM carriers in Canada and usa using those frequencies. Bellus (Bell and Telus) have a service called UTMS/WCDMA which is a 3G service, so phones that are 2G will not see 3G networks nor can not use them nor will they not connect.
post #97 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 06:15 PM
Rookie

More chinese phone questions

Hi all, this thread was really helpful in figuring out what all the network bands mean, but it's still a bit confusing.

I found some phones from China listed as this:
Phone Standard GSM, WCDMA, GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSPA+

but then they list the network frequencies as GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/2100MHz

So is this HSPA thing false or am I misunderstanding how it works?

From my understanding most China phones support something like GSM 850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA 850/2100 which would mean it would work limited on Telus with their old CDMA network and with 2G speed with full coverage on Rogers. So what is with some of the phones listed as HSPA+ "standard"?
post #98 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 08:11 PM

Depending on the phone manufacturer or retailer, you may see HSPA referred to as HSPA, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, WCDMA, or UMTS. For the purpose of determining whether a phone will work on a wireless network, those all mean the same thing.

For a phone to work with the Bell/Telus wireless network, it must have 850 and 1900. One or the other will give only partial coverage with no fallback, and there is no way to know where Bell/Telus use each of those frequencies without testing. None of these phones can connect to Bell or Telus' old CDMA networks.

For a phone to work with Rogers' HSPA network, it must have the same frequencies. However, Rogers also operates a 2G GSM network that can be used for calls, SMS, and very slow data, which devices can fall back upon when they cannot connect to HSPA. The GSM network requires the same two bands, but they're pretty standard on nearly all GSM phones these days.

So, you're right about the way it would work with Rogers, but it would probably be even worse than you likely expected on Telus.

post #99 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 09:08 PM
Rookie

So hypothetically a phone with WCDMA 850 should be able to get 3G speed with Belus?

I'm just wondering what the difference is if it specifies HSPA+. Wikipedia kind of confused me because it lists Telus as having an HSPA+ network and nothing about WCDMA. After spending way too long reading about this, my understanding is now that WCDMA is the network and HSPA+ is the technology to make it faster?

I don't know how accurate this is but according to Loxcel all the towers in my area for Telus are 850's.
post #100 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
but then they list the network frequencies as GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/2100MHz
I recently bought a Google Nexus 5. Here's what it supports:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
CDMA 800 / 1900 - North America version
3G Network HSDPA 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 900 - North America version
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 700 / 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - North America version
LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

This should give you some idea about the various bands.

It would appear the Nexus 5 also supports the 2G CDMA that Bell & Telus use.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #101 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashling View Post
So hypothetically a phone with WCDMA 850 should be able to get 3G speed with Belus?
Only in areas where Bell/Telus uses 850. In some areas they use 1900, and in some they use both. So you'll get partial coverage, and the only reliable way to know where is to test.

Quote:
I'm just wondering what the difference is if it specifies HSPA+. Wikipedia kind of confused me because it lists Telus as having an HSPA+ network and nothing about WCDMA. After spending way too long reading about this, my understanding is now that WCDMA is the network and HSPA+ is the technology to make it faster?
Not quite. HSPA+ is a faster version of HSPA, which is a set of protocols (specifically HSDPA and HSUPA). WCDMA is an air interface standard. They refer to different things, but the differences are highly technical and, for your purposes, 100% inconsequential. When it comes to determining frequencies for network compatibility, you should treat HSPA, UMTS, and WCDMA as interchangeable terms.

Quote:
I don't know how accurate this is but according to Loxcel all the towers in my area for Telus are 850's.
That is based on Industry Canada's Spectrum Direct database, which in my experience is absolutely not reliable. Don't count on that being accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
It would appear the Nexus 5 also supports the 2G CDMA that Bell & Telus use.
That version supports the technology, but is missing the 850 frequency required for Bell/Telus, and its CDMA radio can only be activated on the Sprint network in the US. You may not have that variant though; there is both a US variant (with CDMA) and an international variant (without CDMA). I don't know which one Google sells to Canada.

post #102 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 07:42 AM
Veteran

That list shows 800 MHz CDMA, which I assume is 850 MHz. I've often seen both numbers used to refer to that band. It certainly isn't the 900 MHz used in Europe and elsewhere. Given the similarities with U.S. bands and the difference with those elsewhere, why would they not sell the North American version in Canada which, last I heard, is part of North America.

post #103 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 11:34 AM

800 is not 850. 800 is ESMR, band 10 on the CDMA2000 frequency bands. Sprint uses 800/1900 for their CDMA2000 network. As far as I know, they are the only wireless carrier in the world to use that particular combination.

Both the LG D820 and the D821 have all the required HSPA bands for North America, the difference is in the LTE bands, and the fact that only the D820 has CDMA2000. I checked my Nexus 5, and it does appear that Google is selling the D820 in Canada as well. Since we cannot use the CDMA2000 radio in Canada, if the D821 was able to support more LTE bands as a result of removing the CDMA2000 radio, it would be to our benefit to have that model instead. However, that does not appear to be the case; it looks like the two variants have different LTE support, and the D820's bands make more sense for Canada.

post #104 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 01:58 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I have checked this on several sites. Google says the Nexus 5 supports CDMA class 0, 1 and 10. According to sites, such as this one, Class 0 is 824 to 890 MHz which are, IIRC, the frequencies used by Bell & Telus for CDMA. Class 10 is ESMR and class 1 is the 1.9 GHz PCS band. So, the Nexus 5 supports all three and can provide full function on Bell & Telus, as well as Rogers. Next question is how well it will fare after the 700 MHz auction. According to Google, it supports 700 MHz too. Incidentally, according to this article, Bell & Telus are offering GSM now

post #105 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I have checked this on several sites. Google says the Nexus 5 supports CDMA class 0, 1 and 10.
If that's correct, then the Nexus 5 does have the right frequency bands for Bell/Telus/Verizon CDMA2000. I was going on the list you provided earlier.

Quote:
So, the Nexus 5 supports all three and can provide full function on Bell & Telus, as well as Rogers.
It can in theory, but Bell and Telus would have to be willing to activate it on their CDMA networks, which they are absolutely not. Unlike GSM and HSPA, you can't just pop in a SIM and start using it.

Quote:
Next question is how well it will fare after the 700 MHz auction. According to Google, it supports 700 MHz too.
Keep in mind that there are multiple frequency bands named 700. The Nexus 5 supports AT&T's 700 frequency band, but not Verizon's. Only two Canadian carriers can end up with AT&T's band in any region, while two others can have Verizon, so at least one of Bell, Rogers, and Telus will end up with a 700 band not compatible with the Nexus 5.

Quote:
Incidentally, according to this article, Bell & Telus are offering GSM now
That's flat out wrong. Confusion like that happened a lot in the early days of the Bell/Telus network because people would associate GSM with any cell network that used SIM cards, and HSPA as an overlay on existing GSM networks, rather than individual networks of their own. At the time, I believe there were no North American networks that had HSPA but not GSM, and American sites like that weren't as close to the situation or paying as much attention.

Tags
bell , compatibility , hspa , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in