Will your phone work on Telus/Bell's HSPA network? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well put Moose57! Unlocked is a must. All HSPA phones will fall back on GSM/EDGE if required, provided the carrier offers support for it (which Bell & Telus don't).

On a random note, it looks like Bell has a roaming agreement with AT&T in the States for HSPA devices. Sadly my Omnia II did not like AT&T at all (several call drops/garbled calls even in an area with supposedly good signal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info. So just to be crystal clear...the phone must have all of the following: HSPA/UMTS/WCDMA frequencies of 850MHz and 1900MHz? and is wiifi a reasonable thing to find with these phones?
post #18 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not all the HSPA phones have Wi-Fi, but a good number of the smartphones do have it.

As for frequency support, having both frequencies is preferred. If it only supports one or the other frequency, coverage will be limited. There is no specific map to show which towers are using 850MHz and which ones are using 1900MHz.

post #19 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 11:15 AM
Rookie

China Mobile E77

Hi. I recently returned from China with a E77 device which says it is Quad band and supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies. Do-date I have not been able to get it to work on the TELUS or Rogers network. Any idea why?

http://www.sourcinggate.com/e77-wifi...th-p-7731.html

Keith
post #20 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That phone will not work on Telus or Bell since neither provider has GSM service - they use HSPA, which that phone does not support.

It should work on Rogers though if the phone is unlocked, since Rogers does have a GSM network using some of the supported frequencies.
post #21 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 02:10 PM

As above and are you using a activated Rogers SIM card?
Maybe there is no agreement between Rogers and the SIM card carrier that is in the unit, if their is any SIM card at all.
post #22 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 03:18 PM
Rookie

I haven't tried a Rogers sim card yet, only a TELUS card that I happened to have.

So this device doesn't support HSPA, just GSM? Does that limit my data speed?
post #23 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 04:02 PM

That would be why then.

As for Data, ya! Big Time
GSM data rates are around 10-15 Kbps
EDGE will do 400K to 1M
The new HSPA has been tested up to 21 Mbps. (Category 14)
HSPA can potentially do up to 85M

Check the phone spec as they are often in the 3-7 Mbps unless it's a very latest model or some internet stick.

Is the E77 basked on the Nokia E series?
I had a E71 from Telus, dumped it for a Blackberry Bold 9000 from Rogers (it supports HDPA as well as GSM) unlocked it, put in my Telus SIM and runs like a dream. Has WiFi as well.

TELUS only sells the BB Bold II 9700 for HSPA and some others like iPhone and E71 and some nice HTC's.

You really want HSPA with GSM backward compatibility and unlocked for traveling.
post #24 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Great information - Thank you!

Too bad it's just a GSM phone and the data rates will be limited. That's what I get for buying a knock-off in China

I don't know what it's modelled after inside.

I went to a Rogers store, put a GSM card inside and was able to make voice calls. I wasn't able to get data working but then my phone may require additional set-up. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Keith
post #25 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 10:44 PM

You would also need to subscribe to a DATA plan as well.
They are different depending upon the phone protocols.

So a iPhone plan is different than a Blackberry plan and probably a Windows Mobile plan.
I suspect pricing is the same, but they are set up differently.

Eg: my Telus HSPA Nokia E71 plan was transferred to a Blackberry, same price, but the way they handle email and data is different.

As for China, I get almost weekly mail from China with ebay technology purchases and as long as you shop carefully and know what you are getting, then usually not a problem.
Eg: computer 120MM case fans that our local computer shop sells for $20, I get for $2+shipping or about $7.
Sure I have to wait a couple of weeks, so I stock up in advance.
With the amount of PC's around here (12+), I don't mind keeping a case of fans on hand.
post #26 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Couple days back i noticed this phone & am quite interested in gettin it. Problem is looking at the phones frequencies i am not sure which network it will work. Would it work with any of the major phone carriers we have in ontario (including windmobile or mobilicity)?
post #27 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That phone will only work on Rogers & Fido, since it's a basic GSM phone (no 3G HSPA).
post #28 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 05:29 PM
Rookie

htc touch hd

ok ive been with telus for quite awhile now and recently i broke my phone.. i went to the store and got a sim card its my first time getting one with telus..
i got the htxch touch hd from a friend unlocked and everything but i cant get any signal or network wuts the problem?? can some1 pls help...
the reps at the store said its either your phone or its not unlockied i dont think they knew what they were talkin about
post #29 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Looking at the Product Page for the Touch HD, it appears that phone only supports HSPA 900/2100MHz. These frequencies are incompatible with Bell & Telus. It does support 850MHz & 1900MHz GSM frequencies though, so it would work on Rogers (just not at 3G speeds).

Judging from an Engadget article posted about this phone, HTC didn't produce a North American version of this phone.
post #30 of 132 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 11:11 AM
Rookie

quick question

ok so i think im close to a thread revival here :P

ok so basically i am with telus and looking to get a rogers BB bold 9700 from what i see its fully compatible just wanted to be sure since its 400$ i have to spend.. btw its unlocked if not i will do it. any concerns on what i should verify berfore buying it.

Tags
bell , compatibility , hspa , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in