Telus DSL with no phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Telus DSL with no phone

Hi,
A friend of mine here in Calgary wants high-speed (or at least better than dialup) internet access to his apartment, and he wants the cheapest plan available as money is an issue.

It looks like the cheapest rate is Telus High Speed Lite ($15/mo for a year, $20/mo thereafter), but he doesn't have a landline. Does Telus still require a landline to get DSL in Calgary? Their website says nothing about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 04:33 PM
Veteran

I'm not 100% on Telus' policies, but in Bell territory they charge a "dry-loop" fee to independents using DSL without phone service, but usually waive it if they're Bell DSL customers. (Makes you question whether it is a legitimate cost of the service.. ) [I think it's just a cash grab.]

Bell's dry-loop fee (if charged; i.e. 3rd party ISP customers)
is typically $10/mo, but it is more or less depending on service location.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 07:15 AM

i have telus in morniville(just outside edmonton) no phone line, just internet. i dont pay any extra fee's. Only problem with telus is to ge good rate you need to sign at least a 1 year contract

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 03:48 AM

No dry loop fees if you go with TELUS.

I would just get TELUS DSL. Not sure if they still have the $19.95/month promo for Enhanced DSL. When signing up, since you don't have a phone line, you will have to provide complete address information. This product is called "ADSL No Local" or some people term it as "dry loop" or "dark DSL".

- Jason
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 08:59 PM

Yep, I got 6.0Mbps for 30.95\month, 40.95 when the promo is over.. which is for a year... but no phone line
When you compare Telus' 6.0 vs Shaw's 5.0 Service, Telus is faster, reliable, constant and cheaper! Shaw 5.0 is 42\month.

Samsung UN65MU8000|Elite VSX-43|PolkAudio RC80i|Velodyne VDR-12
Samsung UN55KU6290
LG 55LE5500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve04 View Post
Yep, I got 6.0Mbps for 30.95\month, 40.95 when the promo is over.. which is for a year... but no phone line
When you compare Telus' 6.0 vs Shaw's 5.0 Service, Telus is faster, reliable, constant and cheaper! Shaw 5.0 is 42\month.
I would get my facts straight a bit. Shaw's 5.0 is only $32 when bundled with something else, or $40.95/month standalone . Plus, you also don't have to sign a contract.

I would not say that Telus is more reliable than Shaw. My internet has only been down a couple times the last 5 or 6 years, and this has been in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I am sorry for going offtopic, but I was just straightening out some misconceptions that this poster has made
Quote:
Telus is faster, reliable, constant and cheaper!
This is the most un-truth statement I have read in a long time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 12:58 PM

You atleast have to agree that TELUS is infact constant and cheaper.

I have Shaw for the last 1.5 years and it has gone down about 4-5 times for more than an hour during the day.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITALEight View Post
You atleast have to agree that TELUS is infact constant and cheaper.

I have Shaw for the last 1.5 years and it has gone down about 4-5 times for more than an hour during the day.
Where do you live? Like I said my Shaw connection has only gone down for regular schedule outages at night, and it has only been a couple times that I know of. Telus's speed may be more constant, but I would rather have the faster speed that Shaw offers compared to the slower speeds that Telus has. The cost savings with Telus in only a few dollars a month, plus you have to sign a contract. If you check out the last post of the Download Speed thread, you will notice the speed I have with Shaw, which Telus doesn't come close to.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 07:29 PM

NW Calgary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-24, 02:07 PM

I had a year contract with telus for the 3.0, and never had a down time or prob with connection or speed. So I signed another year to get 6.0 at 31\month and thus so far has been great, no issues and VoIP on Telus is way better then when I was using shaw, for almost 3 years.
This thread was getting DSL as a standalone product, no buddling. I know shaw 5.0 is 32 when you have another service with them, but who wants to pay $55 for a shotty VoIP service or get HD service which is constantly macroblocking?
Comparing Telus 6.0 Standalone (Yes Telus has buddles too like Shaw) to Shaw 5.0 Standalone, Telus is cheaper, faster, more reliable. I know a few Shaw Techies and they run ADSL at home. I wonder why?

Samsung UN65MU8000|Elite VSX-43|PolkAudio RC80i|Velodyne VDR-12
Samsung UN55KU6290
LG 55LE5500
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 04:20 AM

off topic but i tried both shaw and telus in morinville, telus blew shaw away. what sucks is they finally upgraded in town so i could get 6.0 service and i found out too late. no more hookups available in my area so they gave me a $5 discount for a year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in