$22 Telus monthly plan - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

$22 Telus monthly plan

Yesterday I received a call from Telus wanting to discuss options regarding local phone service. I said this was a timely call as we are lonmg time Telus customers but were considering switching to Shaw. Right now we pay $23 basic plus $8 call display plus $3 long distance cash grab fee. She offered the following: $22 for local phone service including call display and 4c per minute long distance with no long distance cash grab fee. She also threw in a $25 account credit. There was no contract requirement.

When I said it was nice that they were responding to competition from Shaw, she almost went ballistic saying that this had to do with deregulation and nothing to do with Shaw and in fact gave about a hundred reasons why Shaw was inferior (none of which i have ever heard any of my friends or family with Shaw complain about).

We did take the deal, however I was quite taken aback by how agressive their telemarketer was considering she was getting me to agree to the deal they were offering. I mean, it was a smart business move since if I had made the call to Shaw I would have gone regardless of what carrot they dangled in front of me.

Bottom line is that if you are paying Telus what I was paying, I'd give Telus a call and demand a better deal.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Telus is becoming very aggressive. They phone my 74 year old mother-in-law twice with pressure sales. Wonder why they just don't advertise a lower rate for everbody? Because they're not willing to notify or change their contract terms. Interesting that Shaw added 60,000+ new phone subscribers the last 3 months and over 225,000 the last year. And I was one of them (August), the best Telus would offer was $30/month.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
I find the offer you got from Telus very funny. If you had called Shaw they would have told you about Digital Phone Basic....A service that offers all local calling for free and includes call display for.....$20.95. And with this account any north american long distance is billed at 4 cents per minute. And great international long distance rates. check Shaw's website for prices.

Telus' offer doesn't even match the Digital Phone Basic from Shaw and Shaw throws in the first month free to boot. You may want to call Shaw to compare but it sounds like Telus isn't really doing much for you.

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your comments Shaw Guru.

I may still move to Shaw, but until I get off my lazy butt this at least saves me money from what I was paying Telus before and with the $25 account credit I am ahead of the game for at least a little while.

I wish i could have recorded her as she attempted to completely trash Shaw. It was quite hilarious.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 07:28 PM
Premium Supporter

Along the same lines as the OP- I was actually quite shocked at what Telus offered me to come back to them from Shaw.

Currently I have internet and Phone Basic from Shaw for about $54 per month. I called Telus to see what they had for me, and they were able to blow the doors off that deal:

- $70.95 per month for a "Call Philippines" and internet bundle, no other line items.
- Long distnace over minutes to Phillipines @ 15¢ instead of Shaw's 17¢. (That will also save me another $10 per month.)
- 2 free calling features
- 3 months free
- Bad news- 1 year contract.

So once I factor in the 100 included minutes to the Philippines would have cost me $17 on Shaw, that brings the net cost down to the same $54. Factor in the 3 months free and I save over $200 there, and another $10/ month on long distance. Even if I want to cancel before the year is up, the fee is $120, so I still am further ahead if I want to switch back.

(And yes, I am also aware of Telus' internet speed- I'm fine with 3 MBPS.)

As much as Telus may be slagging Shaw, Shaw also slagged Telus when I called their retentions department.

A couple of other things I am looking forward to as a Telus customer again:

- Reliable long distance. Within Canada is fine, but overseas calls we average a 20% failure rate on with Shaw. Several calls to their support department haven't given any resolution.

- Call display with name display. Right now anybody who calls my come sup as number only unless they are also a Shaw phone subscriber.

There may only be 2 or 3 home phone options out West, but at least it's good to see they are competing with each other!

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in