Telus DSL without Voice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-03-27, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Telus DSL without Voice

I tried searching for Telus and "dry dsl", "dark dsl" and "bare dsl" without finding anything.

Does anyone, especially those in BC, have any experience with Telus DSL service without a voice line? I understand it is available. The Vonage website has some information about it.

I'm curious about people's experience with it.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-04-19, 12:10 AM

they charge $25 extra per month if you arent on contract and $15 per month with contract. if you have a telus cell phone then you dont pay anything extra.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
they charge $25 extra per month if you arent on contract and $15 per month with contract. if you have a telus cell phone then you dont pay anything extra.
I may have made the switch today. With these kinds of matters, I wait until it actually happens before I am convinced.

I phoned Telus and said I was interested in bare ADSL.

The CSR said no problem, we can do that tomorrow.

Ever wary, I asked about pricing.

He said it would be my current ADSL rate, minus my telephone charge of about $28.00/month.

No other charges.

So I asked them to put this into effect next Monday, August 14. We'll see what happens.

I used the $28/month saving to move from ADSL to high speed enhanced for an extra $5.00/month. I should still be saving $23/month.

We'll see.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 11:18 PM
Veteran

Do you have vonage there in the Cowichan Valley? I didn't think it was available on the Island apart from Victoria and Nanaimo (he says.....waiting for VOIP to make it to the Comox Valley ).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

We wanted to have a 604 area code as much of our calling is with family and friends there. So we got a Vonage Vancouver number and left the 250 exchange.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 01:51 AM
Veteran

OIC
Very clever! :P
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-08-18, 07:58 PM

I just called Telus and ordered the dry loop DSL. Because I want to keep my existing phone number active though (so I can port it to Primus TBB), they'll need to have an installer come and activate a 2nd line, which will cost me $98. I figure that it should be worth it, given the $20 per month savings.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-09-01, 10:00 PM

Bad customer experience

In the theoretical world, my switch to add DryLoop DSL should have been relatively painless. Unfortunately, Telus seemed to really bungle it up.

Here's what should have happened:
1) Telus disconnects existing internet and switches it to 2nd (DryLoop) line.
2) Telus technician comes to my place to hook up the 2nd line and internet should be activated.

Here's what happened:
1) Working from home on Aug. 30th and internet goes down at 10am.
2) At 12 noon, I call Customer Service to find out when the tech is coming--I need my internet to connect to the office. They inform me that tech should be there in the afternoon. Not impressed, but I'm hoping it's the earlier part of the afternoon.
3) At 4pm, I call Customer Service again. This time the lady says that she's not sure that the tech will come today. My wife grabs the phone, voices her displeasure (OK, that's an understatement) and asks to speak to a manager. CSR informs her that management can do call backs but 24-48 hrs. My wife informs her that she would like a call back within the hour or we'll call back.
4) At 5:30pm, I call back to see if the tech is coming. CSR looks through everything and says that tech isn't needed, everything should be active by midnight. I don't really believe him but what can you do?
5) At 6pm, the tech calls, says he can't make it today, and says he can come Aug 31 or Sep. 1. I absolutely have to be in the office on 31st so I schedule for the 1st. In the meantime, I ask him to reconnect my internet on the original line. He says he'll look into it, calls back 20 min later and says the internet should be up in 5 min.
6) Because we had friends over for dinner, I didn't bother checking until later that evening. No internet. And now, it seems that our telephone line has been mixed up with someone else's as our line isn't ringing, and we're receiving Voicemail for some other lady. I call my sister and the number that comes up is definitely not ours.
7) On Aug. 31, I call Telus in the morning to inform them of the phone line problem. CSR says they'll run tests but they may need to send someone out, later in the day or on Friday.
8) Get home in the afternoon and find that the line mix up has been fixed but now we have no phone service at all.
9) This morning, someone calls and says that they're making a fix to my line. 5 min later, the phone is back in service. Finally.
10) At noon today, I'm starting to get nervous about whether the tech is going to show so I phone in. I find out that because this is a sales order, they don't re-prioritize me to beginning today. So I'm waiting....
11) Finally at 2:45pm, the tech guy shows. He knows what he's doing, hooks up the 2nd line at the phone room (I live in an apartment), and in my apartment. By 4pm, everything is working again.

Telus was set to charge me $98 for the install, which I would have paid given that I requested the service. However, I'll be calling Customer Service once I see the bill and requesting a credit. It was an incredible comedy of errors, although it wasn't too funny to me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-09-05, 06:51 PM

Please keep the forum informed about this...

I'm in my perrenial debate right now of ditching Telus completely since I use Dolphintel VOiP and running diagnostic test doesn't put Telus in a very good light.

I'm debating going over to Shaw for everything or just keeping Telus as my current DSL provider... but *not* if I'm stuck with a monthly 'administration' charge :P
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-09-07, 09:02 PM

Telus Rep: "No landline fees for dry ASDL anymore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Woo View Post
I'm in my perrenial debate right now of ditching Telus completely since I use Dolphintel VOiP and running diagnostic test doesn't put Telus in a very good light.

I'm debating going over to Shaw for everything or just keeping Telus as my current DSL provider... but *not* if I'm stuck with a monthly 'administration' charge :P

OK. Talked to a nice guy in Telus Customer Loyalty & Retention - I'll be trying their 'enhanced' service starting sometime tomorrow and see if my VOiP voice quality improves.

He also said that Telus will not charge landline fees for those who only want the ADSL service since there was "a lot of crap thrown at us from irate customers" <- it was that kind of informal discussion I was having with him.

We also discussed a new Telus service - DSL TV. Haven't seen it really actively pushed in the BC area. I think they're starting really slowly since the service quality is heavily dependent on the phone line quality. Could be a great thing (eventually), though.

Then I can watch TV on those new 24" iMacs that just came out.

Ooooooooooo.

B.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 07:14 PM

I found ADSL without the phone line by going to www.nakedhighspeed.com. I saw an add for it in a local to me paper. You could try that site to see if it is what you are looking for.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 11:32 PM

Just an update on my previous post re: trying 'enhanced' service to see if my VOiP voice quality improves.

It didn't. Not enough to justify $120 a year more, that's for sure.

And so... 11.5 months after gettting VOiP, I've still got my landline for long distance and for when the voice quality is crap.

So much for thinking VOiP was going to save me money...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in