Setting up a 2nd Wireless Network using 2nd Wireless Router - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-21, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Setting up a 2nd Wireless Network using 2nd Wireless Router

Hi. I would like to set up a second guest Wireless Network in my home for visitors. I have a D-Link DIR-645 wireless router that I can hard wire into my Actiontec V1000H modem/router from Telus. Most of what I can find here and elsewhere discusses using the second modem for wireless instead of the the Actiontec but I want to set it up in addition to the Actiontec with a completely different wireless network name. Is this possible and if so I wonder if someone could provide instructions or direct to an appropriate source?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-21, 11:38 PM

Your Actiontec router probably has the ability to set up a guest account without setting up a second router, otherwise Dlink has information on their sites on how to do it, see Dlink website or Home Computing at Digital Home forum, or this that is similar, http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-h...op-router.html I haven't done this for quite awhile, but very simple, and you can set the dir645 as a access point (wireless only) or keep its router capabilities by going into the setup. You also have to change ip settings so no conflicts arise and shut off DHCP, it just takes a little time.
Using just the Actiontec would be easiest, but both are quite easy.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?

Last edited by dirtroad; 2015-09-21 at 11:54 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-22, 06:15 AM
Veteran

What he said!! I have 2 additional routers and no problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-24, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

So I called Telus and they walked me through setting up the guest network over the Actiontec router so thank you for opening my eyes about that possibility.

Now I'm trying to use the DIR-645 as a wireless extender into the area where the guest are going to be. Not so easy. I've found a great website at D-link (Turning a router into an AP.) which sort of lays it out but the problem I'm having is the D-Link won't accept the IP address I'm trying to give it. As far as I can tell the problem is the D-link won't accept an IP address outside the 192.168.0.1-254 range while the range available on the Actiontec is 192.168.1.1 - 254. So it seems to be the difference between a 0 and a 1. Is there anyway to change it so the D-Link can accept a .1. as opposed to a .0.

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-24, 01:40 AM

By definition, extender works in the same sub-net. Therefore, you cannot change to different sub-net.

If you want your guests on different sub-net, use your DIR-645 as a router
- Reset DIR-645
- Connect DIR-645 WAN port to one of the Actiontec LAN port
- Change the DIR-645 to use 192.168.0.xxx sub-net
- Set up you guest WiFi SSID and password on DIR-645
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-09-24, 10:48 AM

CSA60, I wasn't familiar with the DIR645 so I did a search and found a post on another forum where the firmware was the issue with a similar problem, and by updating the firmware it corrected the issue. The most recent firmware is Sept 4th 2015 @ Dlink, I usually check for firmware updates, even on new equipment.

If you get this up and running, and want a bigger challenge in the future you could check out openwrt as the DIR645 is a supported unit that would open up possibilities for true customization of your guests router.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in