Actiontec+ups-power = works? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-17, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Actiontec+ups-power = works?

I read this elsewhere but would like to confirm with some Telus techs about this.

If one has the actiontec on a ups and the power goes out. does the internet still work?
Thinking about getting a ups if this does work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-17, 07:44 PM

Yes. But you'll need it on the ONT as well (if the supplied battery back up has no battery in it)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

sorry but, ONT? i at first thought you meant i had to be in Ontario. And why would i get a battery back up (UPS) with no battery in it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 09:46 AM
Veteran

ONT: Optical Network Terminal - An ONT is a media converter that is installed by the fibre optic service provider either outside or inside your premises, during installation.

Some ONTs have a backup battery to provide service during electricity outages. It may or may not be installed by the provider. The battery may also fail. I would make sure the ONT has a battery installed and that it works. It should be tested every few months and replaced when needed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 10:44 AM

If you just have fibreop and never had a phone line installed with your Fibre, then odds are you have no battery inside the UPS that they install with the ONT.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok View Post
I read this elsewhere but would like to confirm with some Telus techs about this.

If one has the actiontec on a ups and the power goes out. does the internet still work?
Thinking about getting a ups if this does work.
If you have DSL on copper you should be good to go.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 11:45 AM

Just to clear things up, @colinpeddle is posting about his experience with fibre to the home on Bell Aliant. Most Telus customers have the last mile on copper and won't have an ONT. A UPS for the Actiontec will allow the internet to keep working for brief power outages. The fibre cabinets located in the neighbourhood have battery backup which will eventually run down in an extended power outage.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. that is why i asked the experts. I do not have fiber ...standard 25/5 DSL .. I am about 100ft from the corner Telus box.
Since as far as i know plain old telephone works during an outage i figured maybe DSL would as well but wasnt sure.

guess there is only one way to find out for sure. but no more wind storms from hell please
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Standard DSL modem/routers work fine with a UPS. Look for one that has a long run time under low load conditions. APC has some models that are suitable. There may be others. Costco usually has a couple of APC UPS units for a good price.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-10-30, 01:45 AM
ckl

I have a UPS that powers the router, VOIP, and cordless phone base station. The UPS is a cyberpower 1350AVR... the estimated run time is 87 minutes. Never been tested though as our power here is pretty stable even during the last wind storm that knocked over a lot of trees. At work, I have another UPS that is an APC 1000 that powers my computer and monitor for 60 minutes so that one could power the router for a couple of hours at least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in