Telus Fibre Optics (FTTH) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-10-24, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Telus Fibre Optics (FTTH)

Telus just set up fibre optics in my city to each house. Now there sales person has been coming by and pushing me to switch over from shaw telling me how the fibre optics blows it away. Tv,Internet and phone package from telus comes out to the same price as shaw. Is fibre optics worth the switch? Our internet is high speed 10 he is offering telus 50. Shaw phone has had huge issues lately disconnecting calls. Im just worried about going from shaw tv to telus.

EDIT by Dr.Dave - useful link for checking addresses:
www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/fibre/new/areas

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-03-13 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-10-26, 12:31 AM

You should really find out if it's just a promo price for a short term (3 or 6 months) and what the regular price will be. If it goes way up, you can possibly downgrade your internet speed or channel packages after that. I hear that cable is sometimes on par with fibre speeds these days, so it might only be the change of tv interface you'll have to get used to. I like the Microsoft Mediaroom interface so much easier to read from far. I've seen Shaw's menu/guide. Not well laid out, and some text is TINY!

I still think landline phone (especially fibre) has better quality and reliability than cable phone. Highly debatable subject, though. Cable telephony can suffer from lag, breakup, etc. I don't know if I've ever had any issues with fibre phone.

It's so tough to make an apples-to-apples comparison with two different technologies.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-10-26, 03:46 PM

Telus Fibre is supposed to provide up to 100 mbps service where you get the fibre to the home. I'd go talk to the store, since the sales guy doesn't seem to know much. They say Telus 50 will give you 20-50 mbps regularly, and Telus 100 will give you 90-100 regularly. Because the TV is IPTV, bandwidth you're not using (e.g. when you're not watching TV) gets used by your internet service, boosting your speed even more.

TV wise, you can record 3 shows, instead of 6, but otherwise it's pretty similar. Channels were more expensive with Telus previously, but it seems to be about the same now that Shaw raised their rates.

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 11:39 AM
Rookie

Telus optic receivers run off internet,I have three receivers a security system two tablets and a desktop computer and a laptop and run all the receivers on HD channels and the wife on her laptop son on computer me on tablet and I run a speed test and still get 22mbps and I'm on a 25mbps plan,with nothing running except security system I get 29mbps and 8.5 up speed

Now you can record more shows with t1200 or the t2200,I just signed up for 50mbps and more storage.

Last edited by 57; 2014-10-29 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Posts Merged, Trolling remark removed
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 03:34 PM

Wow! Trying to find out if Fibre to the Home (FTTH) is available at our location is really an adventure.

Online check says no. (https://fibre.telus.com/)
Door to door rep says yes. (I never trust them)
Fran from Customer service chat says yes. (should be accurate, had all my info and my question was clear)
Phone call to Telus says no. (also should be accurate as they also had all my info.)

I want to get Telus internet, but only once they have FTTH.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 09:21 PM

I'm in Kelowna and there is a Telus web page at the Telus web site /kelowna that has a map of Kelowna with coloured areas saying when service should be available. My area says March 2015.

The latest from Telus advising on this web site was a plastic cover for today's Kelowna Daily Courier with a Telus blurb on the Telus Fibre Optic Network and the URL for the Kelowna information.

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 08:26 AM

^ Nice map! Tried doing the same with /Penticton. No page found

There are pages for Osoyoos and Oliver, but not Penticton. I guess they skipped us and went up to Kelowna. I do recall reading that the Towns of Oliver & Osoyoos kicked in some cash or other perks for Telus to get them fibre ready.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 09:22 AM

/calgary map is pathetic. Judging by it, I won't see Telus fiber for at least decade or so.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 11:56 AM
Veteran

We had FTTH in my area a few months before it said on the website! The rep came door-to-door. I eventually signed up for phone, internet, and TV. Saving $85 per month for the first year, then basically the same as I was paying for the next two years. Pretty much a no-brainer to save over $1000 this year. If I break the contract after that, it will be $10 per month, or max $240 breakout fee. So even if I cancel after the year of great promo pricing, I will still save over $750.

I called my current provider to see if they could match or come close, but they couldn't. I have switched Phone and TV providers a few times, but I have had Shaw for my internet since it was first available. I guess all things change.

The one thing that we do noticeably miss is the Shaw Open WiFi hotspots. Didn't realize how much we used those.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca
The one thing that we do noticeably miss is the Shaw Open WiFi hotspots. Didn't realize how much we used those.
Generally, it's not a good idea to connect to a hotspot that doesn't implement a half-decent encryption layer (e.g. WPA).
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 03:55 AM
Premium Supporter

Are there Internet packages available with Telus Fibre that are not generally advertised to the public? (In other words, is the only benefit to Telus Fibre the ability to subscribe to the Internet 100 package?)
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 01:21 PM

^ Good question. My reason for waiting is partly the 100 mb package, but also my understanding (and it may be wrong) that since we have Optic TV, the two would share bandwidth and one or the other might suffer or be limited if we don't have fibre.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat
Are there Internet packages available with Telus Fibre that are not generally advertised to the public? (In other words, is the only benefit to Telus Fibre the ability to subscribe to the Internet 100 package?)
There are three benefits to Telus Fiber (vs copper):

1. It's faster. For example, with the Internet 50 plan, with copper you get the advertised ~50 down / ~10 up. With fiber you get ~72 down / ~17 up.

2. It's lower latency. This is important for any sort of real-time application (online games, Skype, etc).

3. You don't need to mess around with the Actiontec hardware. I've got my "fiber modem" directly plugged into a Asus RT-N66U. Apparently that Actiontec hardware is a real PITA for a lot of Telus subscribers.
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 03:59 PM

I like #3 in your list. I have an RT-N66U and want to continue to use it when fibre becomes available to me. Right now I have it connected to my Shaw modem and that system does create some limitation that I can't be bothered to resolve. Maybe some of those will go away with the connection to the "fibre modem".
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-01-25, 04:22 AM
Premium Supporter

Sweet, thanks for the tips!
Definitely great info to have for anyone out there whose neighbourhoods are fibre-ready or are on the cusp of same.
(Now, if only my own building would be upgraded … )

Tags
gigabit ethernet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in