Telus Fibre Optics (FTTH) - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 04:54 PM

I'm back after a few months of inactivity but now have Telus scheduled in 2 days to install Gigabit Internet, Optik 4K, and 2 home phone lines.

Not sure what type of coax is running from my detached garage to my house but my house is 17 years old so it's likely not the latest and greatest.
Any chance the Telus installer might want to use MOCA adapters to run everything into my house over the existing coax or should I insist on them running fibre from the garage (where they pulled the fibre from the pole to my house) through the existing underground conduit into my house. I'm thinking they could tie a fibre to the existing copper line to pull it through the conduit into the house.

Want to avoid getting a compromised installation the first time which I would think would be next to impossible to get reversed and corrected later, as it will be 'working' but not ideal.

For you experts, would you highly prefer using MOCA over existing COAX to my 4 televisions for Optik TV? I'm thinking I could then turn off the wireless on the ActionTec modem and use Telus Boost for Wifi in my house but have the TV all hardwired. Will be comparing if Telus Boost or my existing Eero Wifi works better.

Appreciate any last minute tips. Eager to see the maxed out speed of Telus on my desktop computer! By the way, will Telus installer run ethernet from one room to another as I have a feeling the modem location will no longer be in my office and I want my home PC to be hardwired to maximize speed. Current Shaw modem is wired via COAX to the office.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 05:40 PM

Have my gigabit internet installed now. Turns out they could not run fibre all the way to my house. So it's fibre to my detached garage then the existing CAT5 to my house.
Using Speedtest the download speed has been very erratic. Not the smooth 650 Mbps I used to get with Shaw. It seems to jump from 350 Mbps to 750 Mbps now. Mostly around 500.

I'm wondering if maybe we could get better more consistent speeds with MOCA adapters and COAX on the run to my house from the garage.
Does anyone know what kind of max speed I can expect with Telus' latest MOCA adapters and about 60-70 feet of 15 year old COAX in between?

Thanks
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 11:48 PM

In my testing, MoCA 2.0 from Telus over good coax cable (about 15m in length) imposes 6% overhead. I get same throughput I'd get over 945-950Mb/s Ethernet. All things being equal, you would never get faster speed over MoCA 2.0 vs 1 Gb/s Ethernet.

Actiontec now has 2.5 Gb/s capable MoCA adapters, but they are available only to service providers. I doubt Telus is using them.

post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-13, 03:07 AM

Thanks 753951.
Seems like there's something not perfect with my Cat5. Possibly when it was installed it had turns that were too tight, staples that were too tight, not sure, but the throughput has been far from optimal.
MOCA 2.0 with 6% overhead just might be better than my Cat5 that doesn't seem to want to go consistently past 500 Mbps.
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-13, 04:01 PM

Before you go down the MoCA route, test your Cat5 cable. Connect one computer on each side of the cable (directly), give them static IP address, like 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.60, and run iperf3. That will tell you if your problem is indeed with the Cat5 cable or not.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 2019-07-18, 02:32 PM

Crazy coincidence but Microsoft pushed a Win 10 update the night I was setting up my next appointment with Telus to install MOCA to link Fibre to my house.
After the Win 10 update my Speedtests on my hardwired desktop computer were super fast and consistent. About 940 down, 920 up. Looks like the Cat 5 was fine.
I Googled Win 10 limiting connection speeds and it sounds like something was broken in the May'19 Win 10 update.

New problem is the MOCA to my TV is on a different subnet as the Ethernet switch connections coming out the Actiontec modem.
This caused an issue with my MESH wifi not being able to have the nodes hardwired through the MOCA TV adapters.
Planning to move everything through MOCA so everything is on the same subnet.
Anyone else run into the same thing?

Tags
gigabit ethernet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in