Telus Fibre Optics (FTTH) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 06:32 AM

I would call for confirmation. Their website says they don't serve my building at all, and they most certainly do, given that I'm posting this using their service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 01:03 PM
Veteran

@Jetranger ,

When I go to the Telus fiber website and enter my address/postal code, it tells me that fiber isn't available in my area. Even though I'm going to said website on my Telus fiber internet connection that I've been using since January 2014.

Definitely give Telus a call.
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 02:12 PM
Rookie

so I just found out I can't even get internet 100 in my area so I'm positive there is no fiber in my area

post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 05:52 PM
Veteran

I'm on Fiber and Telus won't give me Internet 100 because I'm not in a "converged edge" area. So, one does not imply the other.

You'd think that if Telus is doing FTTH that they'd always offer Internet 100, but apparently that isn't the case.

I complained about the lack of Internet 100/150 to the retention department and was able to get their unlimited bandwidth package added for free to my account because of this.
post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 09:40 PM
Rookie

oh interesting didn't know that - I think I will then still go with telus for now since its way cheaper then shaw.

What are some questions I should be asking to the tech when he comes here next week?

I've heard people talk about dslam and ideally you want to be what 500m or less from it to get optimal speeds right?

what about the router they give me should I be asking for a specific kind?
post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
I'm on Fiber and Telus won't give me Internet 100 because I'm not in a "converged edge" area. So, one does not imply the other.

You'd think that if Telus is doing FTTH that they'd always offer Internet 100, but apparently that isn't the case.
I saw this post from a Telus Employee from 3 months ago on their community forum:
Quote:
I am happy to share that we are in the midst of enabling IPv6 for eligible TELUS Internet subscribers. To be eligible you must be on our Converged Edge network (true of most TELUS Internet subscribers)...
That implies 2 things:
1) Most FFTH users should be able to get 100 Mbps and the rest will soon.
2) If you have IPv6 enabled on your Actiontec, you are on Converged Edge and therefore you should be able to get 100 Mbps.
post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 04:27 PM

Converged Edge does not imply you're on FTTH. Most Telus Optik subscribers are really on FTTN, and the last mile is copper. That is the case for me as far as I know, and I have IPv6, but 100Mbps is not available (50 is max).
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 05:44 PM

Sorry if I left the wrong impression. Since I was posting in the fibre optic thread, I was just addressing the FTTH customers that were not on Converged Edge and therefore could only get 50 Mbps.

Since all Telus customer will have IPv6 available by early 2016, everyone should be on Converged Edge soon.
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Bringing Fibre to the Home

Telus just finished installing fibre in my area and the rep offered either 100 or 150 Mb service to me when I called to add some channels to Optik. They are going to call me back to schedule the fibre install. He said it would take about 3 - 4 hours. This raises these question for me:

1. Does the fibre come only to the demarc block and existing copper from there, or will they want to run fibre to the modem?
2. Since the house was pre-wired with phone wires and coax 30 years ago, I am using coax from the Actiontec to a second TV box (but Cat 5e to the main PVR). If they somehow can get fibre to the modem, is coax still an option to the second TV box?

Thanks for any clarification on what to expect during install.
post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 10:35 PM
hmb
Rookie

Quote:
1. Does the fibre come only to the demarc block and existing copper from there, or will they want to run fibre to the modem?
2. Since the house was pre-wired with phone wires and coax 30 years ago, I am using coax from the Actiontec to a second TV box (but Cat 5e to the main PVR). If they somehow can get fibre to the modem, is coax still an option to the second TV box?
1. Fibre is run to your home's interior demarc block, and at that location it will be connected to an Alcatel-Lucent fibre modem. That modem has a port that connects to your home phone system (if you are using Telus for your home phone service), and an ethernet port that connects via ethernet cable to the WAN port of your Actiontec router. The fibre modem needs to be plugged into a power outlet, so the location of a power outlet (rather than the current location of your home's demarc block) will determine where the fibre cable actually gets terminated in your home.

2. There will be no need to change the cabling method (coax or ethernet) currently being used to connect your Actiontec router to your TV set-top boxes.

Last edited by hmb; 2016-03-23 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added additional information
post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-03-24, 08:10 PM
Rookie

Thanks, hmb, for clearing that up. The installer will face some challenges since demarc block is outside and Actiontec is far away from it with no Ethernet in between. But I have found that Telus installers are pretty resourceful, so I have reason for hope.
post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-05-27, 11:14 AM

Telus's disruptive fibre install in Edmonton

I debated whether I should post this in this forum or the Telus forum, but I decided that if you're going to try to stop something from happening, it's better to get the assistance of a big competitor rather than ask the prime mover. (See edited comment below.)

Telus is in the process of installing fibre-optic cable in the neighborhood adjacent to ours. My wife and I took a look at that neighborhood yesterday and we don't like what we see. In short, there is more damage to property than Telus led us to believe and, quite frankly, since we already have Shaw cable TV and internet and will not in the future want internet faster than 30 mb/sec (and far greater speeds than 30 are already available from Shaw), I don't want Telus damaging our property, even "temporarily".

Apparently the homeowner's property does not extend to the city's (the taxpayers of Edmonton's) sidewalk. We learned this from a 20-year-old contractor who was spraying lines and planting flags on what we used to believe was our well-cared-for lawn. (We're retired, so we notice these things.) The "city's" property (which we are by law forced to shovel and now, apparently, mow) extends about 4 feet from the sidewalk and this is the ground under which the contractor for Telus is installing the cable. Along this cable, still on "city" property, there will be occasional boxes that will sit above ground, usually adjacent to the boxes / bases of street-lights.

After the installation of this line that runs under this "city" property that runs all the way around our circular neighborhood, presumably the Telus sales people will start making the rounds in an attempt to get individual homeowners to allow Telus to run the line up under the homeowner's property and into the home.

My question is simple. The installation / disruption / damage in our neighborhood is scheduled to take place in two to three weeks. Is there any way that a neighborhood (or, for that matter, an idividual homeowner) can "opt out" of Telus's fibre-optic network and prevent Telus from installing the fibre-optic cable in a particular neighborhood -- for example, by getting the signatures of all of its homeowners on a document that makes such a request?

Thanks for any information or advice.

Edit: I had originally posted this comment in the Shaw internet forum for the reason I explained in my first paragraph. Now that it's here, it's here, so I would still appreciate any advice on if and how our neighborhood can opt out of Telus's optic network and avoid the installation damage, ever if it's supposedly temporary.
Wheelman likes this.

Last edited by Tony1M; 2016-05-27 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Had to edit after comment being moved
post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-05-27, 03:14 PM

The piece of land you speak of is called the 'Boulevard allowance' in Ontario and the city can certainly allow a company to dig it up to mend/install infrastructure stuff like cables and pipes.
Also here,Rogers is allowed to run the cable to your house to a 'demark(ation) point on your house whether you like it or not, even if you don't use it.

I imagine the same may be true in Edmonton. You may have no choice in the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-05-27, 05:44 PM

@Tony1M Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it, except to make sure that any landscaping is repaired properly afterwards. A lot of the work is done by subcontractors, so a call to Telus may be necessary.

https://fibre.telus.com/edmonton/installation/
Quote:
Utility right of way
This is municipal property usually located on or near private property lines, including sidewalks, driveways and lawns. Utility companies have the legal right to access the utilities or services within that specified area. And at TELUS, we make it a priority to be as respectful and non-invasive as possible. If any property is affected by work in the utility right of way, our teams are committed to restoring effected landscaping and property as soon as work is complete and weather permits.
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-05-27, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the information, tim and Dave.

I am expecting a call-back from a city rep., during which I will ask two more questions.

1. Just exactly who "owns" that 4 feet of lawn next to the sidewalk? (A utility easement or right-of-way is one thing. To me, ownership is something else. If I find out that the city actually owns that four feet, as they do the sidewalk, I may install a boundary line of some sort on our lawn where the two properties meet and, on the city's side of the boundary, some type of zero-maintenance material that is acceptable to our overlords. Not ever having to mow and seed and water and fertilize that part of the lawn ever again might actually be a good thing for retired people who aren't getting any younger.)

2. Will Telus have some similar right to bore a line further into / under our property, right up to our foundation, from wherever the city-mandated access ends?

I'll report back our overlords' answers to those questions.

Tags
gigabit ethernet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in