Telus Internet Price Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-29, 11:54 PM

Telus using Aruba APs for SMBs wifi hotspots

Last edited by macdzich; 2014-09-29 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-30, 04:49 PM

I wonder if business have to pay Telus or Shaw to put up those hotspots or is it the other way around?

In any case, I wonder if there is a Telus app to show hotspots?
post #48 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 07:41 PM
JCM

I see in this months bill for internet and phone there is now my usage 7.5gb listed and I am now limited to 100gb. No real problem but another way Telus is sneaking in another restriction - cost.
In the US a Net 10 phone - no long distance - is 15.00 per month for 200 minutes that are accumulative.

post #49 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 08:21 AM

Telus and Shaw provide the hotspots for free to the business owner. They require a signed agreement to keep the equipment in place for some period of time (1yr to 3yr). Generally speaking they do not pay but you are supposedly getting a marketing benefit. That is not to say that they have not paid some people for access to place a hotspot. I do know of cases where they paid for what they thought was a preferred/popular location but it's still a small amount. Those would be cases like where they put coverage in a popular venue and then pay something like $40 per hotspot a year but thats kind of a break even price to compensate for power and employee time arranging installation and maintenance access. Telus/Shaw will list your location on their hotspot list, and you get some window stickers, counter cards, brochures, etc to advertise that your business has the hotspot. So if you want them to pay you, don't ask for any more than $40 per year each as that's about the max even in a good public spot like a stadium or mall.

There is a request list they can submit your info through if you want to volunteer the business. But I think they only look at this list if they have a general area in mind and do not have a tenant in the area they have dealt with before.

Generally though, the clients who got these installed were approached by Shaw asking them if they would like to participate. In a strip mall where there were big national chains, mom an pop stores, or a regional franchise store they went to the regional franchise store first. The mom and pop stores would be a little harder to explain things over and over again each time, the giant national chains were too hard to get permissions, but the local franchise was easier for them to deal with as they likely have a few dozen locations that would be good candidates but they are not so large that they had trouble finding someone to deal with. (Starbucks, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, etc already have their own deals in place for wifi so the big chains likely do their own thing anyhow)
post #50 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 06:42 PM

I compared Telus with TekSavvy, the provider everyone seems to rave about vis-a-vis competitive price. I currently have Telus 15 with 150 gigs of data for $63 a month minus a $5 bundle discount as an Optik TV subscriber, so I pay $58 per month. I checked a similar DSL plan with TekSavvy, 15 Mbps and 300 gigs of data for $39.99 per month. Here's the catch: you have to rent (or buy) their modem. Rental rate is $15 per month. I would also lose the $5 bundle discount with Optik TV, so my cost with TekSavvy would in effect be $59.99 per month. Not really that much of a value if one is not going over the data limit.
post #51 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 07:17 PM

That's not really a rental rate, but a rent-to-own rate which only lasts 6 months and still requires a $60 deposit. In my opinion you'd be silly to go that direction given that it would cost more in the end. You'd also have a $55 activation fee up front (and that's with the purchase of their modem). So given that you'd have to pay $140 for the modem (with shipping) + $55 for the installation up front, you're not really going to save money right away. After a year you would, but you'd also lose the ability to use any apps that require Internet on Optik TV if you care about that.

I imagine they're more popular in the east where the big companies have considerably lower data caps.
post #52 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

High Speed Internet Service rate change

Starting on February 1, 2016, the regular monthly rate for many TELUS High Speed Internet plans will increase.

Home Phone rate change

Starting on February 1, 2016, TELUS is changing the regular monthly rate for some Home Phone services.
  • The CRTC has approved an inflationary rate increase in High Cost Serving Areas (HCSA) by an average of $0.55
  • TELUS Home Phone Forborne (non-regulated areas) will increase by $2/mo
  • L&R Loyalty Home Phone will increase by $3/mo
  • TELUS Home Phone $7 discount will decrease by $2/mo to $5/mo

TELUS Satellite TV Service rate change

Starting on February 1, 2016, the regular monthly rate for all TELUS Satellite TV packages will increase by $2/mo.

Source: Optik TV service updates

For details on how you might be affected by these rate changes, please see the message included on the last page of your bill.

There isn't a Optik TV price change in this announcement.
post #53 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 04:27 PM

How is "Your bill is going up, but you won't know by how much until you get the bill!" acceptable notice? Unfortunately, unlike wireless, there are no rules about Internet pricing that I can find.
post #54 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I think the usual practice is to print a notice on the bill one month before the rate increase, so the notice may be on your last bill or your next one.
post #55 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 06:07 PM

It says the rate increase will take effect Feb 1, and my current bill has no notice. Next bill will be Jan 22. Unless they mean the next billing period after Feb 1?
post #56 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 07:15 PM

If past experience is anything to go by I would guess that Internet will be increasing by about $3. Lets hope there is no reduction in monthly caps like they pulled a few years ago. Well its like clockwork now. With Telus its every February.
post #57 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 07:03 PM
Rookie

I think Telus update the page. Here is the exact wording for Internet:

Quote:
Starting on February 1, 2016, the monthly rate for some TELUS High Speed Internet legacy plans will increase.
It is legacy internet plans that are seeing a hike, not their current ones.
post #58 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

You're right - Telus did change the wording. In post 52 I did a copy and paste of that original sentence from the Telus web page. I guess they were getting too many calls.
Here's a comparison of the change:

OLD: Starting on February 1, 2016, the regular monthly rate for many TELUS High Speed Internet plans will increase.
NEW: Starting on February 1, 2016, the monthly rate for some TELUS High Speed Internet legacy plans will increase.
post #59 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 09:42 PM

The notice has changed again, now indicating a March 2 effective date. I guess someone figured out the lack of notice was a problem.
post #60 of 96 (permalink) Old 2016-01-31, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
There isn't a Optik TV price change in this announcement.
I now retract that statement - @Gilles posted that some Optik TV prices are going up effective March 2.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-...ml#post2698401

It looks like Telus decided to have one price increase in March, instead of one in February and one in March.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in