Telus Internet Price Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 11:33 PM

More bad news folks. Telus Internet Rates are going up October 26th. Didn't we just suffer through this already this year??

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/...pic=&subtopic=

"Posted September 2, 2014

Starting October 26, 2014, TELUS is changing the regular monthly rates for some of our High Speed Internet plans. Your new rate will be reflected on your first bill after October 26.
These rate changes impact all TELUS Internet customers.

For details on your Internet plan rate change, reference the message included on the first page of your Internet bill dated September 26 through October 25.

For an electronic copy of your bill, log in to your TELUS home services account and select Download/Print on your e.Bill summary page.

For questions, or help accessing your TELUS online account, scroll down to chat live with an agent.

Why are Internet rates changing?
The cost of managing, expanding and improving our network continues to rise. We’re doing our best to keep rate increases as moderate as possible, while still offering great services, flexibility and good value.

We are constantly working to improve the service we offer our customers. In 2013, we made a number of improvements to our Internet service and network, including the launch of a new email service for all TELUS Internet customers with 5 GB of storage and an improved interface. We also upgraded our infrastructure to support faster Internet speeds and improve our network reliability to provide you with the best Internet experience possible."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 12:36 AM
Veteran

I'll have to wait until October 21 to see mine. See whether it gets me to drop my TV entirely and drop my Internet below 50mbps

Also dislike how they just don't show us what the rates are - just that they are increasing. Not to mention the awesome deals new customers are getting (free TVs, $15 Internet + $15 Optik TV promotions). We're the ones paying for those, yet do we get this? No way! Yes, I realize this is a common complaint in the service industry, but seeing them jack up our rates this often while providing those benefits to new subscribers just irks me.

Last edited by BGY11; 2014-09-03 at 01:22 AM.
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 06:50 AM

$80 / month for Internet 50 is not high enough? Yikes...

post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 11:11 AM
Veteran

@BGY11, Yes, the really low "intro" rates are just encouraging people to jump back and forth between providers once you qualify for the "other" provider's intro rate again. I'm rather surprised at how good those deals are, actually.

The other thing that is surprising is that Telus just said "rates are going up" without articulating which rates are going up by how much. It's the next obvious question, and encouraging people to talk to a "live chat" agent is just increasing their support costs when that information could just have been communicated in the press release.
post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 02:14 PM

From another website:

Indicates a $3 each price increase for
Bundled, Soon to be
Internet 50 $78
Internet 25 $63
Internet 15 $58

Guess we will find out soon. Second increase in 6 months. Its getting ludicrous. Expect Shaw to follow soon.
Someone has to pay for all the free TV's and free computers and 60% discounts, etc...and its the solid
reliable customers ( who aren't switcher's) who get screwed every time.
post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 02:38 AM

Shaw at one time was seeing lots of customers drop cable. To combat this, they had to increase internet prices. Looks like Telus is following suite. Yet again, the world laughs at Canada for our internet and cable prices.
post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 12:30 PM
Veteran

Well, they just installed the Fibre to the home here in my neighbourhood. A few weeks later, a Telus rep came by to show me the new promo pricing. Looks like an all-in package of $50/mo for the first 12months on a 3yr term ($114 for the remainder). Seems like a pretty good deal to me: TV Essentials $15, Home Phone Lite $30, and Internet 25 for $20 (internet is 3yr commitment), less $15 per month for the bundle. Internet 50 would add $15 month. If I were to cancel after the first year promo pricing, I would have to pay a total of $10 for each remaining month on the contract. I figure even if I wasn't completely satisfied with this I would still save a bundle if I switched back to Shaw and paid the penalty.

I called Shaw and they really couldn't come close to matching this. Looks like a switcheroo is coming.
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 01:04 PM

I heard that it will be market price after the first year. $114 may be the market price currently. One year later, it may be more. Make sure that the $114 for the last 2 years is in writing. Otherwise, one year later, it will be your words against theirs.
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Ah yes, it says the "after promotional pricing may be subject to change". Anyways, it looks like I will be saving close to $1000 in the first year at these prices, so even if I cancelled and pay the $240 penalty, I am still quite ahead. A good excuse to buy some new tech at the end of the first twelve months, at any rate!

Just need to decide whether to go with the Internet 25 or 50.
post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 02:07 PM

You can call Telus loyalty department to get some monthly credit after the first year. They will try hard to keep you after giving the great discount for the first year.
post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 05:40 PM
Veteran

We'll see how it goes. I have switched TV and phone services a few times, but have been happily using Shaw internet for well over 20 years now. They did offer me a discount when I called them, but not even close to this Telus promo. The biggest pain is going to be switching all of my email stuff. I have been using gmail for a while, but have been forwarding it from my shaw account. Now I will actually have to update my address with all my contacts, and the harder part - all of the forums and sites I have signed up with over the years. Is there an easy way to do this?
post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Just register your own domain(yourdomain.ca smithsmithandsmith.com or whatever) at a place like baremetal for under $15 a year and they provide free email forwarding from [email protected] or ca and you can switch providers all the time. About $12 a year and personal email accounts forwarded to gmail or telus or shaw or whatever..

No more Telus or Shaw price worries. Switch every year or whenever.
post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
We'll see how it goes. I have switched TV and phone services a few times, but have been happily using Shaw internet for well over 20 years now. They did offer me a discount when I called them, but not even close to this Telus promo. The biggest pain is going to be switching all of my email stuff. I have been using gmail for a while, but have been forwarding it from my shaw account. Now I will actually have to update my address with all my contacts, and the harder part - all of the forums and sites I have signed up with over the years. Is there an easy way to do this?
As someone has said, keep using gmail from here on. If you have a friend with Shaw, they can make a request to take your email and tag it under their account. That way, you can keep using your Shaw email until your friend closes their account. At least this was the case in the past. Good luck.
post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Thanks guys.

My wife just pointed out that she really uses Shaw Open a lot, and come to think of it, so do I. Is there an alternative to this with Telus?
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 2014-09-28, 01:11 PM

On Friday, my phone showed me an open TELUS hotspot. I was in a hurry and got to the point asking me for my email address to use the service.

Similar to Shaw, Telus is installing hotspot at their business customers' site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in