New Actiontec v1000H modem/router ISSUE, can not change Lan Ip address - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

New Actiontec v1000H modem/router ISSUE, can not change Lan Ip address

Just got a new actiontec router installed but ran into one major glitch that I cant seem to work around and the tech I just spoke with was no help.

It seems that it is currently impossible to change the IP address to something other than the default 192.168.1.254 I really dont want to have to reconfigure all of my static IP address devices used on my network. So does anyone have an idea how or IF its possible to change the local ip address? I have never experienced any router that this was not possible on.

TBD yet again :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 09:55 PM
Rookie

I doubt you'll be able to. having a consistent internal facing IP at the client end makes life far easier for Telus support. pick another static IP for your home network.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

"pick another static IP for your home network" ???
Off the top of my head I have 15 devices I need to reconfigure then remap lots of software from VOIP phone, my server and related software, torrent software, vpn,security system,surveillance software etc.

Simply picking another IP for an integrated home network is NOT a simple task. I have gotten an old dlink on loan and reinstalled it last night and im sticking with that as it works until Telus sorts the firmware for this piece of hardware out or I find a workable solution.

It was suggested in a discussion with a friend that I try adding my own router in the DMZ zone of the actiontec then wire the network to my own router and leave the Telus media room on the telus imposed IP addresses and their own network. I have not had enough time to think about the implications of such a setup but it might be a simpler workable solution IF the DMZ is working right on the v1000h.(it did not work correctly with the VOIP phone)

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 03:09 AM

You're probably not going to be able to ever change the ip address on the Actiontec. 99.9% of customers would not need to change the ip address so I'm highly doubtful Telus would implement this. As scokar pointed out, it could possibly cause a lot of unnecessary grief for Telus Tech support and field techs if they needed to try resolve an issue.

I think your only options are to use your own router, or update the ip addresses of 15 devices.

Is there any particular reason you need to run static ip's?
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 07:17 PM

Is there a way to get Telus to install the Actiontech to replace the dlink for a current customer? Anybody tried this or had any luck? I'd like the wireless N and gigabit ethernet a lot
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 01:07 AM

It sounds as though the easiest solutiuon would be to purchase your own router, if you don't already have one, and configure it to your perferred address scheme then plug it into the Actiontec.

- another TELUS tech
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-20, 12:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412 View Post
"pick another static IP for your home network" ???
Off the top of my head I have 15 devices I need to reconfigure then remap lots of software from VOIP phone, my server and related software, torrent software, vpn,security system,surveillance software etc.

Simply picking another IP for an integrated home network is NOT a simple task. I have gotten an old dlink on loan and reinstalled it last night and im sticking with that as it works until Telus sorts the firmware for this piece of hardware out or I find a workable solution.

It was suggested in a discussion with a friend that I try adding my own router in the DMZ zone of the actiontec then wire the network to my own router and leave the Telus media room on the telus imposed IP addresses and their own network. I have not had enough time to think about the implications of such a setup but it might be a simpler workable solution IF the DMZ is working right on the v1000h.(it did not work correctly with the VOIP phone)
ctown6412, I am also in the same situation as you. I have a server set up, running all the usual stuff, security system, cameras, electrical, communications, VOIP and all the other stuff that goes along with it. So.... reconfiguring an ENTIRE network, alarms etc, not going to happen.. Saying that.. here is what I am doing for the interm..

I have the Telus Optik TV so the Optik modem is a no go as the Telus TV will not work with the modem alone you need to use the Actiontec VDSL modem. It is because of this I may not keep my Optik TV. My Settings are as follows...

Telus Optik default IP is 192.168.1.254 CAN NOT CHANGE
Wireless on the Actiontec is disabled.
Telus Optik PVR is connected via CAT5 to Port 1
My D-Link DVG-2001s (VOIP adapter with Free Phone Line dot CA) is hard wired to port 2 I had to change my internal settings on the VOIP adapter to the 192.168.1.x IP range, not a huge issue... now... here is where I had to bend some what..

Port3 of the Actiontec VDSL modem points to my router, Port 3 is also set to DMZ. From there I have my router and various networking set up and running, it is in here is where I have any repeaters and subnet's partitioned.

I know this isn't the ideal solution but until I can find the tier 2 user/pass for the Actiontec v1000h. The older Siemens, D-Link etc all had secondary log in's to let you make the changes that you are talking about. I have tried all the older "tech/root users & passwords" none of them work with this modem. If anyone manages to find them please drop me a pm.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-24, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Tazzman, Yeah I have been doing basically what you have been doing but still can not get the VOIP phone working even thru the DMZ of the Actiontec. I have decided to revert back to the old Dlink for now and use my DIR 555 as an access point as I was doing before. What a PIA this new router is if you have a complex home system. If we could get the VOIP working with the actiontec I can manage with the rest of my system on the other subnet as that phone does not need to interact with everything else its just a straight thru voip line to my girlfriends office.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-11-30, 01:29 PM
Rookie

is there any way to get an upgrade to the Actiontec router? The DLinks wired-wireless issue is driving me nuts...
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunitek View Post
is there any way to get an upgrade to the Actiontec router? The DLinks wired-wireless issue is driving me nuts...
lunitek, If you are having issues with your modem, you may have to call in to tech support and have someone swap it out.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 04:32 PM
Rookie

I too am having a problem with a VOIP phone that does not want to work properly behind this device. It is a cisco 7940 that the wife uses to to talk with her co-workers around the country. It worked just fine with the 2Wire unit but it will not ring at all behind the Actiontec. All messages go to voice mail and there is clue that this is happening either. She can call out on it just fine but the incoming is pooched. I have tried a bunch of things the Actiontec peeps suggested but all with the same result.....a non ringing phone. They (Actiontec) claim their device should not/is not causing theses issues but something is blocking phone function that is for sure.....and all that changed in the equation was the swapping of modem/router devices.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 09:29 PM

Log into the Actiontec and determine the MAC of the VOIP phone device and set it to DMZ in the Actiontec. This will put it (the VOIP phone) outside the Actiontec's NAT firewall and there should be no further issues. Only one device can be DMZ in a router.

- another TELUS tech
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks...but now I have moved the phone to an old Linksys router that I have sitting on the 192.168.15.1 IP. Would I have to find the mac address of the router to put it into the DMZ...or can I do it by IP.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 04:51 PM

I believe you will find it by it's IP in the Actiontecs tables.

You will have a problem though if you've plugged your router into the Actiontec and left it on the 192.168.0.0 adress range. The Actiontec uses that range, so there will be network conflicts. To avoid this change the address range of your router to the 172.16.0.0 range (the Actiontec can't be changed).

- another TELUS tech
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 08:43 PM
Rookie

I just had an actiontec v1000h installed last week and the GUI EWS is at 192.168.10.254, yes that 10 is not a typo...

Was trying to figure why I was not able to log into or even ping 192.168.1.254

I found this thread while looking for a solution to this.

Telus tech support said my file shows the installer set it up like this in order to leave my current linksys router alone.

I'm a Optik tv / internet subscriber in Quebec.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in