New Actiontec v1000H modem/router ISSUE, can not change Lan Ip address - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Getting past the double NAT lifestyle (PS3 worked fine), routing through both the Netgear and the Actiontec resulted in the Actiontec deciding to reset itself once or twice a day. So I ended up with the following configuration:

I flashed the Netgear WNDR3700 to use DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std. Everything is now on the 192.168.1.x subnet, as follows:
Netgear with DD-WRT, 192.168.1.1 providing: DHCP, DNS, UPnP, Wireless
CiscoPVR, 192.168.1.50
Actiontec, 192.168.1.254 providing: Routing, firewall (low), port forwarding to NAS, scheduled access (restricting wireless netbook access)

While this was far too much annoyance, everything has been running now for a couple of weeks without issue.

I do object that there is no firewall logging information available to me from the Actiontec, and that overall, configuration options are extremely limited; certainly much more constrained than the previous D-Link model provided by Telus. In the ideal world I would like to be able to buy my own device, and have Telus publish the VLAN/QOS parameters for supporting the OptikTV IPTV service, and then provide just the modem.
I have the &^%$$ Actontec too from Telus and I try to access my Synology DS210+ from outside my LAN and it does not work anymore as expected. I tried redirecting ports but it does not work either. I also tried your config but I'm having problems to understand it. Could you help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-08-11, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Actiontec - Synology NAS configuration

To access my Synology NAS from the Internet, on the Actiontec, I go to the Firewall -> Port Forwarding configuration and create the following rule(s):
1. Set the LAN port and IP information.
Starting Port: 5000
Ending Port: 5000
Protocol: TCP
LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.100 (my Synology box)

2. Set the remote port and IP information.
Starting Port: 5000
Ending Port: 5000
Set Remote IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Then click "Apply".

I created a duplicate of the rule above, with the Remote port start/end as 1863, to get through most corporate firewalls.

I created an account with dyndns.org and use the Synology -> Control Panel -> ezCloud -> DDNS facility to maintain an Internet host name for my NAS.

To get to the NAS from an Internet browser I enter: http://<hostname>.dyndns.org:5000 (substitute 1863 for 5000, if 5000 is blocked by a corporate firewall.)
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-08-24, 07:25 PM
Rookie

I have DS1511+ and it sweet. It just works.

visit the link below to determine what ports you need open on Actiontec:

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index...gy_DiskStation

I have sabnzb installed on DS1511 and use sabmini (iphone app) to remotely download nzb's on DS and use Apple 1 (XBMC) to play content..

excellent combination for HTPC.

PS. I just got a few Rasberry Pi devices. I'm going to install them on TVs in bedroom and kids room.

bumbo

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-10-06, 01:40 PM
Rookie

vkeven
"Telus is the new Bell" First off I just want to say it is all about the customer service. I have not purchased any Bell products or services for over 5 years now. If Telus is heading down that path, I also will take my money and spend it elsewhere.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-10-06, 01:44 PM
Rookie

I have no intentions of messing with Telus products. I have one question though, am I able to buy my own Actiontec v1000h from Telus? On-line Ebay? Walmart? Will I be able to use that Modem/Router with a different ISP?
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 06:20 AM

professional assistance is required i too have connection issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey View Post
TELUS provides the service as is. You get Optik IP TV and an internet connection. There are no promises that your peripherals will be able to use that connection. TELUS makes no statements that I'm aware of that they will troubleshoot your internet connection problems to your peripherals. As a TELUS tech my responsibility to you as a customer is to set up the service to ensure the TV is working and that you have link & surf from your Actiontec on LAN and WiFi. If your PC or equipment won't connect, but my laptop will, thats not TELUS's issue. We are NOT Geek Squad, we don't work on your gear. Period. Full stop. Go see Geek Squads rates and understand, we're giving you free install, not personal tech support for all your toys. Geek Squad wants nearly $100 just to come plug in your TV.

If Optik doesn't work as provided, then its not for you. Its that simple. So yup, suck it up.

- another TELUS tech
wow. i have yet to come across such crappy customer service and response. Either respond with some understanding of users frustrations or don't be in the tech department. Such horrible "screw you i don't care" attitudes don't fly in other places where professionalism is at its best people get laid off for such ignorance. At the very least provide some solutions! its a bunch of crappy services here and no one is useful but are happy to charge money. I mean solve problems!! Customers are not your enemies. Just people like you who pay hard earned money for a service rendered ..so deliver!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in